Squats and Deads = bigger waist?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Over the years I've heard a lot of talk about squats and deads increasing the size of your waist. This would make sense, due to both exercises working your core and hip flexors.

So for a person seeking a narrow waist, how would one incorporate these exercises into their routine?

Everyone knows that squats and deads are exercises that are a must in any routine (atleast to me they are).

Discuss.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
In my reading, I think that if you truly want to keep your waist tiny, deads shouldn't even be done.

As far as squats, do them in the smith machine using a belt. This will completely take the wast out of being a stabilizer...

...but in the end, you're going to be week and un-proportional.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I would like a narrow waist, but I could never take deads (or squats) out of my routine. I was just thinking about hearing that and thought I would post it.

I was thinking the same thing on the squats. As far as deads go, would sumo deads be less focused on the waist and more on your legs, or do you think it would be the same?

I remember a BB'er (I think he might have been pro, but not a big name). He was massive and had a 28" waist. It was borderline creepy, but looked pretty good. He commented on how he didn't do deads and replaced squats with leg presses. It looked like his spine was going to break.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I used to have a 28" waist before I started lifting. That was at 6% bf when I was 19 and was 125 pounds.

It has gone up to 32-32.5 from doing squats and deads and a little extra bf.

It definitely beefs up your glutes and hip flexors which contribute to a thicker waist.

Satisfied where it's at now..but don't want it any thicker. lol

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
black guy, right? I can't remember his name but he was a genetic freak.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I used to have a 28" waist before I started lifting. That was at 6% bf when I was 19 and was 125 pounds.

It has gone up to 32-32.5 from doing squats and deads and a little extra bf.

It definitely beefs up your glutes and hip flexors which contribute to a thicker waist.

Satisfied where it's at now..but don't want it any thicker. lol
I hear ya. Having my back (mainly lat width) as my best body part (obviously IMO), I love the super narrow waist and flaring lats.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i believe you can do squats and deads and keep a trim waist.
the muscle gained in the midsection is usually nominal and proportional to the rest of your gains.

if your waist is growing at a faster rate i wouldn't blame the squats and deads. it is more likely a result of additional subcutaneous fat and visceral adipose tissue.

looking to keep a small waist i would focus on visceral adipose tissue. it seems to fake people out - making them think they are lean just because they have abs but their gut still hangs out. cort control, and cutting to super low bf levels ever few years helps keep this in check.

JMO

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That is super freaky. Looks like he's going to break.

beallio

beallio

Awards
Over the years I've heard a lot of talk about squats and deads increasing the size of your waist. This would make sense, due to both exercises working your core and hip flexors.

So for a person seeking a narrow waist, how would one incorporate these exercises into their routine?

Everyone knows that squats and deads are exercises that are a must in any routine (atleast to me they are).

Discuss.
Arnold was never afraid to squat, and I don't think anyone will claim he had a large waist. Well, maybe next to Buchanan.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
i think it has alot to do with genetics as well, i deadlift roughly 450 at 202lbs 6'1'' and still have a 32inch waist at 11-12%BF

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It has to do with genetics. Brian Buchanan is a genetic freak! Sergio Oliver had the same challenge in power lifting,narrow hips and waist is a disadvantage in power lifting BUT they have a BIG advantage in bodybuilding! Work with your genetics best you can! I'd personally rather have smaller hips and waist.

First make sure your diet in down pat. It can take a long time to diet down. Ive been doing this Five years and keep learning.

Next Training.Vince Gironda teachings are against back squats saying they make your waist and hips expand. Chris Cormier eliminates Squats a few too a couple months before his competeions, beleiving this same thing; although he does do them offseason(not close to a contest)

here is a solution if you have this challenge

If your waist is too big ,with diet being the best you can possibly get it, eliminate them.

This is me personally. I have wide lats and decent quad size that my waist is 37 and actually my body looks bigger because of the exaggerated proportions so I can get away with doing squats for a while. Now when it comes cutting time Ill just do front squat, leg press, hacks or smythe. I don't know if barbell squats widen the hips or not. they do widen the waist more than say A smythe or hack squat.

Last edited:
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Three years ago I got my legs to 28 inches doing heavy squats with a very dedicated training partner I have genetically big quads . My calves however were only 15.5

I just took a look in the mirror and decided I dont want my waist bigger at this point.

My legs are now around 24-25 inches. My calves are only around 16 inches . This is out of proprotion. so i have decided to eliminate squats and use smythe squats. Could I get my quads bigger? Yes do I want to right now with my calves being only 16 inches? No but that doesnt mean I wont work them . Im going to focus on my mid quads and not so much my teardrop which is big. so Ill squat with the balls of my feet-which work the mid thigh, verses if you want the sweep push with your heels

I want proportion! My goal is to add some calve size. This is off subject and an important aspect of bodybuilding. many yiung trainers will blast there bodyparts away and focus so much on there strong points and not use priority on weak points.

TheTalkngWalnut

Awards
I think it relies entirely on genetics and not the actual routine itself. Around the time I entered my second pl meet last year my raw power squat was 455 (1inch below parallel APC standards), deadlift was 490 wearing a singlet. My height is 5'5 and weight was roughly 168. I only wore a belt when maxing or doing 90% or higher and my waist was only 30 inches.

Before powerlifting, it was only 30 inches. I continue to train heavy and my waist is still 30 iches. I think the top powerlifters have large waistline because they were genetically predisposed to that physique and it therefore gave them an advantage in the sport. Although incredibly strong people do exist that have tiny waists also. That is my take on it although I could be wrong. I just think that the whole deadlifts and squats makes your waist big is a myth.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the waist can be reduced somewhat If heavy ass squats or cut out. Ive never known deads to do this

onelife

onelife

Awards
The way I see it is.. the bigger and bigger you grow your waistline is eventually going to have to follow suit, how much it follows suit is due more to genetics than any type of exercise in my opinion. I have seen some very very high numbers put up on the squat, with strict form and super deep, and the only thing i have noticed about the people that have done them is an extremely large arse :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any exercise that puts a lot of strain of the abdomen can lead to an increase in waist size. Squats, deads, cleans, weighted ab exercises can all lead to a "bigger" waist, but it should be remembered that the abs are still a muscle. Progressive resistance can lead to growth, but it is not really a bad thing. So many people have postural problems and I would rather have zero bad/posture problems even if I have to add 1" on my waist.

WOLVERINE1000

Awards
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that deadlifts and squats do increase your waste size. Let's also say that you don't want a bigger waist, but you want all the benefits of squats / deads: more powerful lowerbody, release of natural growth hormones and testosterone, feel great, etc...

How would one go about doing this? Are machines like leg presses good? Any recommendations?

Thank you

t3stxlr4titud

t3stxlr4titud

Awards
  • Established
If you have a low bodyfat and wide waist then be proud. Only people who should be worried about a skinny waist are women.

So, if you arent woman then getin the squat rock and move some weight.

-TF

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that deadlifts and squats do increase your waste size. Let's also say that you don't want a bigger waist, but you want all the benefits of squats / deads: more powerful lowerbody, release of natural growth hormones and testosterone, feel great, etc...

How would one go about doing this? Are machines like leg presses good? Any recommendations?

Thank you
Smythe squats are a remedy for this.

I do believe it has some truth for those that have genetically wide hips. I do my squats in the smythe. I do deads anyway. If your a power lifter it doesn't matter. if your a bodybuilder getting up on stage...This is what Chris Cormier used to do. I think he believed heavy squats widen the hips

Do squats in the off season

use leg press, leg extensions starting a few months before competition.

if you have the genetics of Brian Buchanan than obviously you can do squats all day

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

Thank you

I noticed more waist growth (glute/ventroglute) when I switch to a powerlifting stance (wide) vs. a bb stance (narrow) for squats. I now just rotate them every few weeks to keep things balanced.

xmeroxmerox

xmeroxmerox

Bye
Awards
First off stay out of the Smith Machine, unless you like injuries.

Secondly, as Xodus stated, your stance is a key contributor. I see most people using a Power lifting stance (wide), because it allows them to go heavier. I prefer a hip width stance when squatting.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First off stay out of the Smith Machine, unless you like injuries.

Secondly, as Xodus stated, your stance is a key contributor. I see most people using a Power lifting stance (wide), because it allows them to go heavier. I prefer a hip width stance when squatting.
No offense bro but who are you to be giving advice?

bryan4592

Awards
I've seen my can grow quite a bit from doing squats, deads, cleans and what not. But, I don't think that one could or would really put on that much "waist muscle" to really make a huge deal. I believe that if you are lean and proportioned, you're gonna have a "small" waist proportion wise. Just because someone has a 28 inch waist doesnt mean they are ripped......

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I've seen my can grow quite a bit from doing squats, deads, cleans and what not. But, I don't think that one could or would really put on that much "waist muscle" to really make a huge deal. I believe that if you are lean and proportioned, you're gonna have a "small" waist proportion wise. Just because someone has a 28 inch waist doesnt mean they are ripped......

Wait until you can't find pants that fit in the ass and thighs...

bryan4592

Awards
Wait until you can't find pants that fit in the ass and thighs...
Been there awhile my friend. What sucks is that I am a long legged mofo and have a 36+ inseam. My waist is a 32-34 depending on the brand, my ass and thighs are a 38. They dont make pants in a 38x36. So, I generally have to get loose leg jeans with a waist that is 4 inches to big and a length that is too short. So yeah, I generally look like a moron

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Been there awhile my friend. What sucks is that I am a long legged mofo and have a 36+ inseam. My waist is a 32-34 depending on the brand, my ass and thighs are a 38. They dont make pants in a 38x36. So, I generally have to get loose leg jeans with a waist that is 4 inches to big and a length that is too short. So yeah, I generally look like a moron

Then you understand why people don't want to grow their waist, as its just not the waist that grows...

I'm in the same boat as far as clothes go.