How to squat deeper

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by psychospic View Post
    I go down until my elbows just touch my knees, at this point my hams are parallel to the ground. You hold the bar in the crook of your arms, I usually clasp my hands.
    yes thats what i do. but i think i learn to far foward instead i should try and relaly hold the weight the bar near my chest? instead i keep it several inches away from my body cuz it shard to hold


  2. Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    whats ATG? ass to ground? i think thats pretty impossible for 99% of the populus. Try doing that with no weight at all, youll fall backwards. Im a flexible guy that doesnt have a problem being in the squat position (ass to calves) for hours and hours at a time. ATG is probably just an exaggerated term.

    Function wise doing ATG squats or going all the way down isnt going to build anything worth the effort imo it will just cause more stress the the knee.
    Everyone should learn the asian squat!

    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

    Seriously though, for a regular squat with proper form, I find that if you squat with a bar it is much better for balance than free wieght. It might help to widen your stance a little as well.

    For some reason I seem to be able to go deeper with front squats than back squats. But I agree with yourself and chaps.. as long as it is somewhere between parallel and the ground it should be good.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by nycste View Post
    yes thats what i do. but i think i learn to far foward instead i should try and relaly hold the weight the bar near my chest? instead i keep it several inches away from my body cuz it shard to hold
    Keep your elbows close to your body or rib cage and as you squat and push your butt backwards, your elbows will naturally come forward. If you keep your elbows too far in front, it will be hard to squat deep enough to get the full effect of the exercise. If it helps place one of those padded tubes you use for a regular squat or wrap some towels around the bar.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by asianbabe View Post
    Everyone should learn the asian squat!

    YouTube - How to do the Asian squat

    Seriously though, for a regular squat with proper form, I find that if you squat with a bar it is much better for balance than free wieght. It might help to widen your stance a little as well.

    For some reason I seem to be able to go deeper with front squats than back squats. But I agree with yourself and chaps.. as long as it is somewhere between parallel and the ground it should be good.
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha yeah you got that right on. thats great.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to asianbabe again.
    btw i challenge anyone to asian squat longer than me lol, western squat....

  5. Quote Originally Posted by psychospic View Post
    Keep your elbows close to your body or rib cage and as you squat and push your butt backwards, your elbows will naturally come forward. If you keep your elbows too far in front, it will be hard to squat deep enough to get the full effect of the exercise. If it helps place one of those padded tubes you use for a regular squat or wrap some towels around the bar.
    ok did some zerkers today.

    no matter how i hold the bar with no weight i cannot go lower then parrell without doing some freaky form and my elbows are always in the way of my legs so i get 1inch below ll at the max. which i guess is fine but i cant tell you howmany times i rest on my thighs then go back up

    anyways i tried a few diff versions spacing of my arms and diff leg stances o well my back hurt today so wasnt happy
    •   
       


  6. yea seen that one at MMI long time ago

    it looks like his elbows hit his legs then he goes back up but its hard to tell


    this guy only goes down half way but some impressive poundage
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.


    this video is pretty good
    YouTube - zercher squats 315+chains


    KABUKI IS DA MAN
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

  7. Hey Nycste. Try it without the weights, perhaps even with those lioght bars most gyms ususally keep in the stretching area. I know it won't make you look very strong but getting the form down is very important for results and of course safety. I did a few sets with just the bar then made small increments. if you get the move right you definitely feel it attacking your quads in a way you've never felt before, but ytou will also feel it in your core and arms and front delts. The whole frontal plane of my body was sore for a few days.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by psychospic View Post
    Hey Nycste. Try it without the weights, perhaps even with those lioght bars most gyms ususally keep in the stretching area. I know it won't make you look very strong but getting the form down is very important for results and of course safety. I did a few sets with just the bar then made small increments. if you get the move right you definitely feel it attacking your quads in a way you've never felt before, but ytou will also feel it in your core and arms and front delts. The whole frontal plane of my body was sore for a few days.
    think ill use the bar i got at home with some weight and record it with my camera then upload them and we can make fun of me
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Injured my back during squats how to proceed?
    By marcink99 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
  2. How to increase squat weight and get bigger chest
    By NFLforNBA in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
  3. How to do Squat & DeadLift without targetting the gluteus?
    By anabolicmuscles in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
  4. How to Increase my Squat
    By IronMarc in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
  5. How to Schedule Cardio and Squats?
    By pcn in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Log in
Log in