Getting 'wider' arms?

camaroguy18

Awards
I feel pretty comfortable with my arms in terms of size 'height' wise (i.e. how tall they are when flexing from bottom of tris to top of bicep) but they have never seemed to really fill out and 'buldge'. Instead they remain skinny. I've heard of wide grip curls helping this to an extent, but find them rather difficult to manuever without losing grip, and I'll be honest I haven't done them consistently enough to really gauge progress. Are there any tricks to working the area in between the bicep and tricep to help fatten these arms out? I realize that I'm somewhat on the lean side, but that hasn't stopped other parts of my body from filling out with dedicated work.

I appreciate any input!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Filling out your tricep's outer head and your Brachialis.

btech

Awards
Filling out your tricep's outer head and your Brachialis.
Is filling out the triceps outer head a result of increasing overall size....or is it one of those "use a reverse grip cable pressdown and twist your pinky finger up as you pull down" type of things...?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To tell ya the truth, I have pretty decent triceps and i just I don't use trick exercises.

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
I know you can build muscles to make areas larger but I believe it all comes down to genetics.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're busting down the Big Three and including some Bent-over Rows plus Overhead Presses, you should have no problem.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Working in a lot of Hammer Curls will make your arms look much wider in a relaxed pos...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hardcore supination using dumbbells....touch your pinky to lateral delt and squeeze the hell out of your bicep.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I know you can build muscles to make areas larger but I believe it all comes down to genetics.
:goodpost:

Where you can improve certain areas to a certain extent, it does come down to genetics.

camaroguy18

Awards
rep to bearmeat and jayhawkk for direction (and explanation) I worked some hammers into my workout today and my arms are spent! Def a great workout that I seemed to have overlooked.

Do you guys recommend alternating these with normal curls, or is it suitable to work them both in my workout?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't have to alternate every workout but I would switch up every few weeks.

btech

Awards
Do you guys recommend alternating these with normal curls, or is it suitable to work them both in my workout?
I am a fan of workout routines having a A week and a B week......so, stick to the same exercises and work same musclegroups in same order....just each week, alternate between two exercises.

FOr example

Week A: barbell benchpress
Week B: dumbbell benchpress

or

Week A: Barbell curls and hammer curls
Week B: Dumbbell curls and reverse preacher curls

PimpinLow98

Awards
Could you use the cables for hammer curls. I get the rope and the set it so its all the way on the bottom then i stand over the rope with one hand on one side and on the other. then i just pull up and then when i am all the way up i twist the rope out. Have you guys ever heard of this or seen this.

btech

Awards
Could you use the cables for hammer curls. I get the rope and the set it so its all the way on the bottom then i stand over the rope with one hand on one side and on the other. then i just pull up and then when i am all the way up i twist the rope out. Have you guys ever heard of this or seen this.
As long as you can make constant progress in either getting more reps or adding more weight, it'll work for sure:afro:

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Anytime you keep the elbows in and grip wide when you curl you work the inside of the biceps. Preacher curls w/ elbows in hands wide are great for this...to make the biceps "bulgey" on the inside.

Anytime you keep the elbows out and grip very narrow when you curl you work the outside of the biceps. This will give the biceps a wider, thicker, rounded appearance. Standing bicep curls w/ straight bar, elbows way wide, hands close together are great for this. You don't need to go really heavy...just slow and controlled. Make sure you are using a curling motion, as opposed to spider curls which drag up the body.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You mentioned "Wide Grip" curls and I believe you were mis informed. In order to hit the outer head of your bicep you need to perform "Close Grip" curls. Wide grip would put all of the focus on the inner head. Cross body hammer curls help me in this department, as well as supination when doing sitting incline bench curls. Last time I did these I believe I did 3 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise. Doing reverse grip curls (Palm facing the floor) will help you build up the part of your fore arm that ties to your outer bicep. Try those as well.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
You mentioned "Wide Grip" curls and I believe you were mis informed.....
I hope you are not directing your comment at my post...if you take the time to read it you'll see I got it EXACTLY correct.

Bull Mkt

Awards
Had the same issues...ditto on the hammer curls...for tris, I really feel the outside doing robe pulldowns and making sure to spread the rope wide at the bottom of the movement...trust me, you'll feel it...

nightowlman

Awards
Definitely hammer curls. My arms got wider after adding those to my routine as well as some form of reverse grip curls.

btech

Awards
Definitely hammer curls. My arms got wider after adding those to my routine as well as some form of reverse grip curls.
Dude...I have been doing reverse preacher curls......I'm seeing some great development. Everyone should do reverse curls if interested in obtaining thicker arms and forearms.

camaroguy18

Awards
The hammer curls have been making a great improvement on the look and feel of my arms...I'm going to give reverse curls a shot too starting next week :)

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Anytime you keep the elbows in and grip wide when you curl you work the inside of the biceps. Preacher curls w/ elbows in hands wide are great for this...to make the biceps "bulgey" on the inside.

Anytime you keep the elbows out and grip very narrow when you curl you work the outside of the biceps. This will give the biceps a wider, thicker, rounded appearance. Standing bicep curls w/ straight bar, elbows way wide, hands close together are great for this. You don't need to go really heavy...just slow and controlled. Make sure you are using a curling motion, as opposed to spider curls which drag up the body.
:goodpost: