You Know That Forearm Pain You Get From Heavy Barbell Curls...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
...right when you let go of the bar? I've had this ever since I started working out, and although I dont lift with straps anymore, and always try to stretch and train my forearms it persists.

I think I found a way around it though:

After your last rep, rack the bar, and keep your grip tight. Then, lean over the bar slightly. With your palms still pressed against the bar, uncurl your fingers slowly.

Ive done this for the past few workouts, and even with heavy sets of 5, Im not experiencing any forearm pain.

If I rack the bar and let go as I normally would, Ill get that shooting pain up my forearm, so the above release method certainly seems to be working.

Give it a shot and post back if it worked or not!! Ive been trying to find a way to get back to heavier Olympic barbell curls for years...this seems to do the trick!

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thats kinda what this guy was talking about:

Forearm Pain
Guess he figured it out too:)

Crader - I dont have tendonitis, just always felt a pain in my forearms from releasing the straight bar too fast. It's a relatively common thing, from what I understand.

BV

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Yea it tears me up. I'm going to try this next time I do curls. Thanks to both of you!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good call BigV! I'm going to totally wing an explanation on this one. This scenario is VERY common when I have my post-op shoulder patients do isometrics for early strength/stability... I use a PUSH, PUSH, EASE OFF cadence, rather than push, push, stop (in accordance with your gradually releasing the bar rather than an abrupt release).

I believe it has something to do with the Golgi Tendon Organ (GTO) or muscle spindle in the muscle fibers. In short, they play a role in monitoring muscle length (as in slack vs. stretched). I believe the receptors get "confused" a bit. The muscle contracts very powerfully but no muslce length is altered. The sudden release puts slack on the muscle and the receptors can't decide "where" the muscle is length wise. Maybe this contributes to a pain signal?

I also believe that BB curls are pretty rough on the elbows, especially when we go too heavy. The forearm flexors (and sometimes the extensors) play a pretty hefty role in elbow stabilization. So now, you have tension on the insertion of the muscle for grip strength... AND tension of the origion of the muscle for elbow stability. This equals tension from BOTH directions without much muscle movement, again "confusing" the muscle receptors.

My guess is that the slow release allows the receptors to "recalibrate" hence avoiding the pain signal.

I've researched this concept many times for my patients but have always came up empty. This is by no means fact but moreso "celc logic" that I've used to explain this curious resonse to strong isometric contractions.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the explaination Celc5! Makes total sense...

Birdsizzle

Awards
I feel this almost everytime I do straight bar, to the point where I rarely do it anymore. The thing is I feel this pain, to a lesse extent, through the whole range of motion during the lift. Its feels like it originating in the bones of the forearm.

Like I said, its been so bothersome that I feel it keeps me from lifting the weights my muscles need to grow, so I simply no longer do straight bar curls during most bicep workouts.

Instead recently I have been substituting straight bar cable curls. Relatively pain free but I also know I'm not getting the same workout I would be from true straight bar curls.

I usually start my routine with camber bar curls and these are almost always pain free, even on the release, meaning I can go as heavy as I want or my muscles will allow for the desired rep range.

I wonder if there will ever be complete relief allowing me to return to incorporating straight bar curls again.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I feel this almost everytime I do straight bar, to the point where I rarely do it anymore. The thing is I feel this pain, to a lesse extent, through the whole range of motion during the lift. Its feels like it originating in the bones of the forearm.

Like I said, its been so bothersome that I feel it keeps me from lifting the weights my muscles need to grow, so I simply no longer do straight bar curls during most bicep workouts.

Instead recently I have been substituting straight bar cable curls. Relatively pain free but I also know I'm not getting the same workout I would be from true straight bar curls.

I usually start my routine with camber bar curls and these are almost always pain free, even on the release, meaning I can go as heavy as I want or my muscles will allow for the desired rep range.

I wonder if there will ever be complete relief allowing me to return to incorporating straight bar curls again.
I've been in your shoes before. I cut out the BB curls for a good 6 months or a year... almost to the point that I forgot about them :lol: I cycle them in and out when I change my routines and do not have this problem any longer.

Seriously, there's like 5000 biceps exercises to choose from. IMO choosing a movement that causes pain is simply counterproductive.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Almost all of the excercises I do are using the barbell these days, and this one causes me the same pain. Not shooting pain though, but the tight burning forearm pain.

I've always attributed it to my forearms putting in a lot of work on heavier lifts (because of the flat grip), sortof what Celc5 was saying to a degree.

I tend to like it though, it works my forearms/grip more, and I'm all about compound / power lifts lately.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
I Have The Same Problem... I Was Told By A Dr. It Was The Equivalent Of Shin Splints But In The Forarm...its Badd News... I Tried To Work Around It For A Few Months... It Got Worse... Do Different Work Outs For Bi's And Let It Heal... Its No Good To Dance Around A Medical Issue And Find Ways To Mask It... This Got So Bad I Was Unable To Wrap My Hands Around Any Bar... I now Try To Practice A Light Grip With Everything....

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Almost all of the excercises I do are using the barbell these days, and this one causes me the same pain. Not shooting pain though, but the tight burning forearm pain.

I've always attributed it to my forearms putting in a lot of work on heavier lifts (because of the flat grip), sortof what Celc5 was saying to a degree.

I tend to like it though, it works my forearms/grip more, and I'm all about compound / power lifts lately.
If it's the muscle bellies of your forearms burning, I'd say no damage done. You're just workin hard :head: