Post injury question

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.35%

Post injury question

Just got over a bad wrist injury lately and it seem like the only thing lacking right now is my bench. I was up to about 315 and when I tired maxing a week or 2 ago I had 275 on the bar and had about 10-15lbs of help getting it up. Ive tried doing like a 5X5 to see if that would help me get it back up faster but im not sure if it is to much. What do yall think would be the best way to get my bench back to where it was? Thanks

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.68%

Quote Originally Posted by cmp007 View Post
    Just got over a bad wrist injury lately and it seem like the only thing lacking right now is my bench. I was up to about 315 and when I tired maxing a week or 2 ago I had 275 on the bar and had about 10-15lbs of help getting it up. Ive tried doing like a 5X5 to see if that would help me get it back up faster but im not sure if it is to much. What do yall think would be the best way to get my bench back to where it was? Thanks
    Try working chest twice a week. Don't underestimate the power of 5x5 or 1x5 strength training. Working the lower rep ranges works different muscle fibers (fast twitch I believe?). Training your muscles to lift these heavier reps will increase strength and eventually size, as your muscles will adapt to handling the heavier loads by growing bigger... though hypertrophy isn't the goal here.

Do a low rep workout on Monday, then on Friday work your chest again but this time focusing more on the higher rep ranges (10-12 reps). Use lighter weights and concentrate more on form. This rep range will assist you more in the realm of hypertrophy. It's also healthy for your joints to perform more reps. Follow a plan like this for a few weeks and see if it helps... it's been working wonders for me
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40%

Quote Originally Posted by beebab View Post
    Try working chest twice a week. Don't underestimate the power of 5x5 or 1x5 strength training. Working the lower rep ranges works different muscle fibers (fast twitch I believe?). Training your muscles to lift these heavier reps will increase strength and eventually size, as your muscles will adapt to handling the heavier loads by growing bigger... though hypertrophy isn't the goal here.

Do a low rep workout on Monday, then on Friday work your chest again but this time focusing more on the higher rep ranges (10-12 reps). Use lighter weights and concentrate more on form. This rep range will assist you more in the realm of hypertrophy. It's also healthy for your joints to perform more reps. Follow a plan like this for a few weeks and see if it helps... it's been working wonders for me

I dont wish to come off mean here my freind, as I am new to this board. but one thing i notice that annoys me is young kids giving out advice and spitting out terms they hear without any such reference to credentials in those fields. I am a professional IFBB bodybuilder, I am working on a masters in endo and I am also a licensed exercise physiologist. The fella you are giving your advice too was injured. a WRIST injury nonetheless. The wrist is responsible for buffering some of the impact of bench pressing. this being said...you are telling him to work heavy weight and work chest twice a week. there are physical therapy exercises to strengthen the tensons and muscles around the wrist before any such heavy compound work should be done. Also, your reference to the weight\rep ranges arent quite accurate. Lifting is a work in progress and it is goal specific. some people can adapt better to higher volume and some better to low volume. Statistically low volume is for power and strength and a bit higher volume (8-12) is for hypertrophy. THat is not to say that someone cant gain a significant amount of size pushing heavy weights in the 5 rep range. The fact is you can spill out advice to somone without them knowing how and why and if you are qualified to give advice that could worsen his situation and what their goals, training experience etc is. I am quite tired of browsing these boards and seeing young kids preaching all sorts of things they hear a doctor say on tv or they read in someone elses thread or online or in a Muscle and Fitness article as legit advice. There is simply more too it than that. YOU need to learn more and really understand what you are telilng others to do. This should go for anyone in the same boat as you on this board and others. First of all practice what you preach..I know more than most how hard and how much work it takes to get to the IFBB and compete with these guys but to see small undeveloped kids preaching all sorts of physiological information and scientific (medicinal) advice just makes me sick. no wonder why these kids are getting into the drugs and such so young. the information is all here for them. what these boards need to encourage a little more is research. THis board is the best ive seen so far, but still there are people, who at least need to back up their info with some credibility, whether it be a physique or an eductaion. (not to say you arent still growing and improving beebab, but relax a little with the all the science preaching, until you can back it up--this goes for others too. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH>!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.35%

Well BigJ what would your 2cents be on my question?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post cycle question
    By MaDmaN in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 12:08 AM
  2. Post Cycle Question
    By smike319 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 01:31 PM
  3. Injury Question ( Forearm)
    By Frost in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1