German Volume Training Time

AlexParty

How long does it take most of you guys to finish a workout of GVT on average??

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Oh hell yeah! Good luck with squats, sucker!!! :D :shoot:

Usually takes me about 1 hour for a GVT routine. Get yourself a good stopwatch and follow Poliquin's recommendations's of 60s or 90s for supersets :)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
u right. an hour to just past it is how long it should last.
the most painful decisioin ive made in my life was to add in a little variation and complete 10 x10 with squats and deadlift on Leg day.
:eek:
Sage

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Took me an hour when I did it and it was the most deceptive routine I had ever done. I looked awesome in the gym while training and got comments all the time on how good I was looking. It was only from keeping those opposeing muscles pumped the whole time. After about 8 weeks I had gained about 1 lb. WOW! What a perfect waste of time. I have no doubt it works wonders for people with great genetics/recovery.........but what doesn't? Joe average (MOST guys) don't stand a chanch with it.

Iron Addict

Flavor

Awards
Took me an hour when I did it and it was the most deceptive routine I had ever done. I looked awesome in the gym while training and got comments all the time on how good I was looking. It was only from keeping those opposeing muscles pumped the whole time. After about 8 weeks I had gained about 1 lb. WOW! What a perfect waste of time. I have no doubt it works wonders for people with great genetics/recovery.........but what doesn't? Joe average (MOST guys) don't stand a chanch with it.

Iron Addict
Maybe you were doing something wrong, or didn't fine-tune it for you. I'm Joe Average, and I got huge gains from GVT.

elijah_123

Awards
Iron how were your diet and rest? If you don't have those dialed in GVT won't work well for you as you quickly overtrain your body if you are getting adequit nutrition and rest.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, it was the fine tuning I was missing. I did pouliquins program VERBATIM. I have talked to 100's of people that didn't gains **** from it either. The volume really is too high for most people to gain from. The fact that it worked well for you says you probably have better than average recovery abilty. I am a personal trainer and exhange info with trainees and trainers all accross the country. I will never tell you that volume training doesn't work absolute wonders for many people. For those it works for, nothing works better. For those it doesn't work for, it's useless. VOLUME TRAINING FAILS THE VAST MAJORITY OF TRAINEES IN THE OVERALL TRAINING POPULUS. THAT SIMPLE! If it works for you, use it but don't tell others they were doing something wrong, because the fact of the matter is all they were doing wrong is doing more work that they can effectivly recover from.

Iron Addict

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
elijah got to the probable answer before i did. german volume training is set up to give an individual who's able to handle the added volume, a great boost and method for strength gain and results. but with any training routine, supplement/steriod use, if that person doesnt have the diet down, your battle is already over. not saying at all, your diet was poor Iron, but many do overlook this factor, thinking a certain routine or supplement will 'magically' transform them into what they desire
Sage

elijah_123

Awards
Chill Iron I never once said or assumed you were doing it wrong. I asked how your diet and rest were. In fact I assume most of the bros here will have that stuff in check, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Notice I didn't say Hey moron the reason gvt sucked is cause your to stupid to eat right and sleep. Instead I asked if you had taken care to dial in the eating and sleeping.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
elijah_123,

I wasn't even reponding to your post (was reponding to Flavors) so maybe you need to chill, I'm calm as a bomb!

Iron Addict

AlexParty

Ok change of topic guys, Have any of you changed the workouts?

Flavor

Awards
If it works for you, use it but don't tell others they were doing something wrong, because the fact of the matter is all they were doing wrong is doing more work that they can effectivly recover from.
I don't recall telling you you were doing anything wrong, I simply offered up a viewpoint other than the narrow "doing it X way didn't work for me, so GVT is bad... except for some people." Why assume the only problem could be that they're doing more work than they can handle? Add a few extra days of rest. Change the exercise. Etc., etc.

Ok change of topic guys, Have any of you changed the workouts?
Yes. On chest/back day, for example, I did this:

Bodyweight Chest Dips 10x10 w/60 second rests
Incline DB Flyes 3x10 w/90 second rests
Mid Grip Pull-downs 10x10 w/60 second rests
Pronated Cable Rows 3x10 w/90 second rests

Notice the rest times. I got a ton of benefit from doing this. You can basically change the workouts in any fashion you choose, so long as you stick to the general principles.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
just out of curiousity: iron addict were you on any androgens while doing GVT?

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, a light test/d-ball cycle. My GVT experiment was done during a time when I had already found the correct volume and frequency that worked well for me, and like so many people I just "HAD" to try the latest thing in a bodybuilding magazine. I was at 245 when I started it, and about 245 when I woke-up and said WTF, it ain't working now, how it it gonna "start" working tommorow. And the static bodyweight might have been OK if I was leaner, but bodyfat levels were up. and muscle was down. The volume is simply too much for me, gear or no gear.

Iron Addict

elijah_123

Awards
Iron that is horrible that even on test/dbol you didn't gain weight. I'm guessing you were taking an anti-e or you should have at least had water retention.

What kind of work outs do put muscle on for you?

Sorry about the earlier post didn't know if you were replying to me or not. But even he didn't accuse you just asked :)

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
elijah_123,

You need to understand that this was during a time when I was staying on pretty full time. I had already been on 12 weeks or so before switching to GVT. If you have trained people that stay on or have been on full time for a spell you know the gains are not the spectacular type gains you see when a newbie does a cycle, but rather a gradual accumulation of muscle. If you want to see the types of routines I normally use go to:

http://www.animalkits.be/

where there is a section dedicated to DC's an my training philosophies. BTW, I have met and exhanged info with COUNTLESS people that gain little or nothing past the initial water/nutrient loading gains that occur at the start of a cycle because training and nutrition were not correct. Gear use does NOT bullet proof people to overtraining. There is still a threshhold that once surpassed will leave one stalemated with gains.

Iron Addict