quest 4 bi's

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
quick question.....i my quest for bicep growth, is it better to hit heavy weights @ the start of bicep training (after warm up) or hold off until the last couple of sets. Usually i warm up (2 sets of DB curls,light wt.) then move to ez curls w/ heavy weight, then concentration curls (med. wt.) ending w/hammers (by that time I'm spent) basically starting heavy then working down.......guess my question is this....... start heavy then work to light or reverse?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I've found that negative exercises are key to making my biceps grow.

And Hammer curls focus a lot on the forearm and less on the bicep, you might want to nix them for a regular DB bicep curl

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
quick question.....i my quest for bicep growth, is it better to hit heavy weights @ the start of bicep training (after warm up) or hold off until the last couple of sets. Usually i warm up (2 sets of DB curls,light wt.) then move to ez curls w/ heavy weight, then concentration curls (med. wt.) ending w/hammers (by that time I'm spent) basically starting heavy then working down.......guess my question is this....... start heavy then work to light or reverse?
I think you have to look at the total workload here...
do the math...
Do it each way, then multiply the weight by the number of reps for each set.
Add those numbers together for each set for your total.

See which ones has the higher number.

On another note, You can move more weight doing alternate dumbell curls then you can working both bicepts simultaniously.
To REALLY shock them, switch to dumbell curls, alternating.
I mean, grab yourself some 55's ... Try and get 6 with decent form. Too heavy??,.. go 50's for 6.... WORK DOWN until you can get 6 reps.
I saw that becasue the difference can be HUGE!!
Ex: On the lateral pull down machine... you can stack weights on each side.. and each side can be pulled down independantly..

If I stack Three 45lb plates on each side, when I pull down using both arms, I can get around 8. so it's 135lbs each side (270 total).

If I pulled together: 270 x 8 = 2160 (but divide by 2 for each side) = 1080

Now, When I do only one side continous I can get 10 reps...
bringing total workload to 1350. (nice workload increase there!)

But the kicker is when you do alternating, I can get more then 10 reps on each side... so the difference is HUGE after all your sets are done.

It's a really nice way to shock the hell out of them,.. and also an example t oshow how you could find out which way (working heavy first or last) produces the larger number at the end