Best shoes for weightlifting? (squats, deadlifts, etc.)

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
Hey all, I am about due for new training shoes. I was just wondering what would be the "best" shoes for weightlifting? I heard that while you do squats you want to be as close to barefoot as possible. Is this true? If so, I was looking into the NIKE Free training shoes. What do you all think of these?
thanks.

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
i wear nike free's on leg days because they have very flat bottoms which i feel is great for squats and deads. The only downside I see is very little support as they are paper-thin. I train at a very hardcore gym where a lot of national level bodybuilders train and most of them wear wrestling shoes which i plan on trying when I get some money to waste on them. Back on topic...also I see a lot of powerlifters wearing converse chucks

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
You mean ankle support? yeah, they don't offer much support in that department, but do you think that is a big deal when you're performing squats and deads? Converse don't have much ankle support either?
Another question, which Nike Free's do you have? 7.0, 5.0, 3.0, or the 7.0 Trainers? The ones I am looking into are the 7.0 Trainers which have lateral support.

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
i have the 5.0s and i just feel like they let ur feet and ankle slide around too much with no bracing...but i've been fine w using them so far...

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I'd say chucks probably. I always wear skate shoes. They have good arch support for the most part and are very flat on the bottom.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
just curious i never hear about like indoor soccer shoes like sambas and or other styles? they any good?

i actually used umm my Doc martins one day basically a boot but they are low cut and felt really silly would rather wear construction boots or barefoot.

gonna look into wrestling shoes sometime soon

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I've got the Otomix wrestling type shoe. I think they say something about driving in their marketing. Like I mentioned, they're basically wrestling shoes, the sole is very flat and thin. Perfect for deads. As I just wear them for lifting, they've also lasted a very long time, maybe seven years or longer. Don't remember.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Those are what I wear and I like em.
I've got the Otomix wrestling type shoe. I think they say something about driving in their marketing. Like I mentioned, they're basically wrestling shoes, the sole is very flat and thin. Perfect for deads. As I just wear them for lifting, they've also lasted a very long time, maybe seven years or longer. Don't remember.

good to know boys. hey crunch give that wife a little hug for me

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
i ordered the Nike Free 7.0 Trainers yesterday. I'll post back when I get them.

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
hey all, got my nike free 7.0 trainers on Saturday. Tried them today during my workout. They are really nice. Very light, extremely comfortable, and mold to your feet. The trainers are very wide at the forefoot and supply a lot of support and stability. However, yes; there is NO ankle support, but I don't mind. Overall, great shoes.