Best shoulder exercises for a beginner

\/\_FIERCE_/\/

Awards
Mainly this question is to experienced bodybuilders who have tried many different shoulder routines and know what works and doesn't.

If you were to pick a couple must shoulder exercises for a beginner that will spurt growth the quickest, what whould they be? Military presses and side raises are a good combination I was taught, but what about the rear delts? Or are they somewhat worked due to other exercises anyway like barbell rows for example.

Also what do you think of starting with Rocky Presses , which combine behind the neck and front raises in one rep. So that way you give all three muscles a good workout? What do you think of L Laterals Concentric + Side Lateral Eccentric ? Thid exercise seems like a nice side deltoid exercise.

So with that said what would you say are some top shoulder exercises to start off with that will give you that wide, large, 3-sided development the quickest in your opinion. Upright rows? Arnold presses? I mean a variation is a must later on down the road obviously, but to start out, what are the best? Let me add that this for gaining mass, not getting ripped.
Thanks for opinions in advance

l

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
So with that said what would you say are some top shoulder exercises to start off with that will give you that wide, large, 3-sided development the quickest in your opinion.
IMHO, HEAVY shoulder presses and lat raises have given me VERY broad shoulders. i actually look a lot bigger with a shirt on than i really am due to my delts. of course like i said in one of my threads, that im still working on finding a good rear delt exc. but for bulk, width, and 3-dimensional attributes, these have worked the best.

i may be an exception, but ive always responded better to heavy weights, fewer reps for delt mass. hopefully u will too.

also, my shoulder press is a bit different than most. i take a seated position like the former and then pick up the barbell, scoot my self up towards the front of the bench some so my back isn't against the seat. i then lean back and arch myself with my chest out. (all the while doing this i keep my back braced) the first rep is a bit hard since it is the pre-starting position. when i get it up, i let down slowly for like a 2-3 second eccentric, explode up. 2-3 second eccentric. 4 pyramid sets.

IMO, the best bar none for mass. try it out.

good luck................

EDIT: oh yea, be expected to hit a plateau sooner with these. my delts stopped growing for a while. i added in some more iso's and lat raises like i said, and laid off for a bit on em. no prob though.

\/\_FIERCE_/\/

Awards
Re: Re: Best shoulder exercises for a beginner

of course like i said in one of my threads, that im still working on finding a good rear delt exc.

I've read a couple of times that The "bent-over dumbbell side raise" is the best isolation exercise for the rear deltoid. You probably have tried it but if not, you just sit on the end of the bench, lean foward (maybe at a 45 degree angle or lower, not sure how far) and you just perform the side raises. I've tried it once to see how it feels but never really tried it for a period of time.

Thanks for the info by the way.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: Re: Best shoulder exercises for a beginner

I've read a couple of times that The "bent-over dumbbell side raise" is the best isolation exercise for the rear deltoid. You probably have tried it but if not, you just sit on the end of the bench, lean foward (maybe at a 45 degree angle or lower, not sure how far) and you just perform the side raises. I've tried it once to see how it feels but never really tried it for a period of time.

Thanks for the info by the way.
yea, i do those on a regualr basis. i do them for rotator cuff work--no heavy weight or anything--just like 10lb. db's like 2 sometimes 3 x/week. i never knew that they worked ur rear delts though. hmmmm......maybe ill start goin heavy then.

thx.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
BB front military press

DB side lat raises

DB rear lateral raise

Those are IMO the basic 3 that everyone should do. You can alternate and find variety later, but these are your core shoulder movements. :)

T-Bar

Awards
Originally posted by jweave23
BB front military press

DB side lat raises

DB rear lateral raise

Those are IMO the basic 3 that everyone should do. You can alternate and find variety later, but these are your core shoulder movements. :)

I agree except I prefer dumb-bell military pressses over barbell.

Flavor

Awards
Behind the neck presses offer very little benefit over your standard military or db press, while leaving you open to a much greater risk of injury. Not worth it. Also, pressing behind the neck does NOT work the rear delt more. This is one of the most badly thought out gym myths I keep running across. It actually focuses even more on the front delt, and less on the rear. Military/DB Presses are alright, however, they focus on the front delt, and hit the lateral delt alright. You can throw in high rows to your neck for the rear delt (elbows out), but there's no need. Upright rows stimulate the entire deltoid complex, while focusing on the lateral delts. As for the isolation raises, as is often preached, you don't build mass with isolation exercises. It's the big compounds that get the job done. However, if one delt (most likely your rear delt) is lagging, go ahead and do something like upright rows, then a superset of the three isolation raises with your weak point done first. Also, do them seated and with both arms at once. It makes it much, much harder to cheat. You'll notice your weight drops significantly. My delts respond well to doing lots of low rep work, then every couple of weeks I'll add a 20 rep set. So anyway, for example:

4x6-8 Upright Rows
2x8-10 Bent-over Rear Raises ----------\
2x8-10 Slightly Bent Lateral Raises ------} Superset and match reps
2x8-10 Front Raises -------------------/

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Behind-The-Neck pull ups work the rear delt very well, as well as the lower lats...pull yourself up touch the back of your neck to the bar and SQUEEZE those rear delts. Try super-setting with bent-over flyes.

BigV

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Laying L- fly is the bomb, real easy on the joint too

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I should've been more general. Any behind the neck lift is dangerous and should be avoided.
I think that if you're properly warmed up and have done the right stretching - the behind the neck position is effective as long as your form is strict and you're not going too heavy. (10-15 reps)

Jarconis - Lying lat fly is definately a good one...

BigV

Bull Mkt

Awards
Arnolds...I can't believe nobody has mentioned Arnolds!!! Been a staple movement for me for as long as I can remember. It's a great movement that not only hits medial and front delts but also secondary stabalizing muscles.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Arnolds...I can't believe nobody has mentioned Arnolds!!! Been a staple movement for me for as long as I can remember. It's a great movement that not only hits medial and front delts but also secondary stabalizing muscles.
You're right, Arnolds are an oustanding exercise!!

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
So with that said what would you say are some top shoulder exercises to start off with that will give you that wide, large, 3-sided development the quickest in your opinion. Upright rows?
If you do upright rows do them with a wide grip, keep the elbows up throughout the movement and at the top of the movement the bar shouldn't be higher then the nipple line (i.e. you want to stop the top of the movement where the traps begin to takeover)

Arnold presses?
These are good. A beginner should pick a basic pressing movement. Either BB Military, DB presses or Arnolds either seated or standing. Never press behind-the neck and do not lower the weight to the point where the shoulders grind (it varies depending on your arm length...could be chin level...could be a little lower...for a very few guys all the way down)

I mean a variation is a must later on down the road obviously, but to start out, what are the best?
The best is to warm your shoulders up and stretch before and between your sets. Do rotator cuff exercises frequently. When you bench press don't flare the elbows out (i.e. protect those shoulders on chest day).

Shoulder mass (including the side delt) primarily comes from basic presses. Focus on getting stronger w/o sacrificing form.

If you do lateral DB raises start them from the side not the front and keep the tension on the delt. TUT not weight is important for this exercise so do them controlled and go slower on the negative.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Mainly this question is to experienced bodybuilders who have tried many different shoulder routines and know what works and doesn't.

If you were to pick a couple must shoulder exercises for a beginner that will spurt growth the quickest, what whould they be? Military presses and side raises are a good combination I was taught, but what about the rear delts? Or are they somewhat worked due to other exercises anyway like barbell rows for example.
l
For a beginner, I think any type of OH Press with a BB is the best thing for growth. You have to smile when you see a beginner do side raises and rear delts with 15lbs DB's when they should be doing a good OH Press with some weight on the bar..

Also what do you think of starting with Rocky Presses , which combine behind the neck and front raises in one rep. So that way you give all three muscles a good workout? What do you think of L Laterals Concentric + Side Lateral Eccentric ? Thid exercise seems like a nice side deltoid exercise.
l
Anything where your lowering or pulling behind the head is an RC injury waiting to happen.. There is no advantage doing press or pulldowns behind the head.. Regarding the Iso.. if it's a beginner, there time is better doing compounds..

So with that said what would you say are some top shoulder exercises to start off with that will give you that wide, large, 3-sided development the quickest in your opinion. Upright rows? Arnold presses? I mean a variation is a must later on down the road obviously, but to start out, what are the best? Let me add that this for gaining mass, not getting ripped.
Thanks for opinions in advance

l
Upright Rows or horrible on the RC as well.. They are also known to cause severe shoulder impingement... Wouldn't recommend anyone to do them.. For a beginner..
3 Sets of OH presses 2 to 3 times per week is the best thing they can do for mass and stregth as well.. Once they reach a more developed stage.. then consider adding isolations..

Jcweinsx

Awards
Check out John Meadows mountain dog WO. He's got videos on you tube and some great ideas for rear delts. My go to lift is the old Olympic lift the overhead press. I go heavy on this and use WO's like Meadows for my accessory lifts. Even though I have enough flexibility and range of motion I don't use behind the neck movements as this does not add any extra value/results for me.