Is the order of my back routine wrong?

1. Registered User

Is the order of my back routine wrong?

When i do my back i do not have any energy left for pulls up for my lats. I do deadlifts first then t rows then pulls ups. Should i change the order? Feels like my lats are not getting enough of a workout but my body is little fatigued from the prior stuff. What order does everyone else do?

2. Registered User

Nothing wring with changing it up. I'm not a big fan of deads, so I usually do pull-ups first, which fatigues my lats much more than deads ever do. I also do pulldowns, squeezing my shoulder blades together at the bottom of the ROM, which seems to activate the lats even more.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

my back order always varies, depends on if people are using what i need at the time but I noticed that same, doing deads usually tires me out but I still do my sets of 2 x 12 to get to 24 total pullups....

I normally do pullups first then whatever back exercises after, my lats are responding well
    •   

4. Registered User

i like to do pull-ups first i get a good "stretch" from them and plus they do tire you so i like doing them early on
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swtnycboy View Post
    When i do my back i do not have any energy left for pulls up for my lats. I do deadlifts first then t rows then pulls ups. Should i change the order? Feels like my lats are not getting enough of a workout but my body is little fatigued from the prior stuff. What order does everyone else do?
    You could alternate between deads and T-Bar rows every other back workout. Do pull-ups and another lat exercise on every back workout.

Or move deads to every other leg day...and do T-Bar, pullups and another back exercise on every back day.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow View Post
    You could alternate between deads and T-Bar rows every other back workout. Do pull-ups and another lat exercise on every back workout.

Or move deads to every other leg day...and do T-Bar, pullups and another back exercise on every back day.
    I alternate each week between deads and t-bars...otherwise they take too much out of me. I also start with pull-ups and then work into pulldowns and rows; finishing with deads. I seem to feel the deads a lot more when doing them at the end of the workout...good way to fail out at the end of the day.
  7. Registered User

I do pull-ups or pull-downs first, then some type of row, deads next, and top it off with shrugs.
  8. Registered User

My back days consist in this order

Lat pulldowns
    cable rows
    1 arm rows
    Rack pulls
    Shrugs

I like to work each muscle then at the end kill them with pulls
  9. Registered User

Try doing pull-ups first (weighted if you prefer). It's not only a great overall upper back exercise, but it also gives your lats a good stretch at the beginning of the workout. Then I'd move into heavy rows, and then whatever else after that. I used to do deadlifts first, but then the rest of my routine suffered. I read an article though (this one... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...21/ai_98542691 ), and decided to try deadlifts and the end of my routine. I eventually figured out that I liked deadlifts and the end of my routine vs. the beginning. And to my surprise, I could lift about the same amount of weight. Even though I always warmed up properly before deads, I'm guessing saving them for the end of the workout let me warm up my muscles to the max per se.

So in a nutshell, I'd say do pull-ups or BB rows first, and deadlifts last. Everything else can fall in between. My current back routine looks like this...

Weighted Pull-ups 3 x 6-8 (I usually shoot for 8 all the time)
    BB Rows 3 x 6-8
    V-Bar Pulldowns 2 x 6-8
    Seated Cable Rows 2 x 6-8
    Deadlifts 2 x 6-8

And yeah, two sets of deadlifts works for me since I put so much into them. Deadlifts wear me out fast!

Good luck bro!
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.

I don't even consider deadlift a movement for back day. It has its own day as one of my two days for legs. The other is squat.

On "deadlift" day I do 3 sets of heavy deadlifts with hamstring isolation on machines, or straight-leg deadlift. Sometimes throw in calf exercises. This "deadlift" day is basically a posterior chain day.

On back day I do the entire upper back and lats, including rear delts. This consists of barbell rows, pullups or lat pulldowns, reverse flies, and extended arm pullovers.
  11. Registered User

do your deadlifts on your leg day.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger1 View Post
    do your deadlifts on your leg day.
    Unless you're doing squats the same day.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Honestly, ive been doing mainly just pullups 3x/week with my fullbody. Back is finally getting stronger and more defined. Of course diet and exercise is helping too. I feel once i can get all my core exercises down (i.e. front squat, pullups, dips, db presses, etc), then you can work on other things such as pulldowns, etc.

thanks
  14. Registered User

Deadlifts trash those grip muscles, but then again I do weighted pull ups also and they are just as tiring. Here's how I try to juggle my back workout:

Weighted pull ups - last set drops the weight and repetitions to failure at bodyweight
    Calve Exercise - to give the grip a bit of a rest
    Deadlift - 3-4 sets of 10 reps
    Rows + Hyper Extensions (super set)
    More pull ups to failure if I feel that my lats weren't destroyed
  15. Registered User

Read this... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...21/ai_98542691

It discusses how doing deadlifts at the end of your workout versus the beginning is beneficial. I used to do deadlifts at the beginning of my workout, but I read that article and decided to try doing them at the end of my back routine, and I figured out it was much better. When you do deads first, your other lifts will suffer somewhat, but for some reason, for me anyway, when I do deads last, I can still pull heavy weight, and my back gets a more complete workout.

By the way, this is my back routine as of right now:

Weighted Pull-ups 3 x 6-8
    Barbell Rows 2 x 6-8
    V-Bar Pulldowns 2 x 6-8
    Seated Cable Rows 2 x 6-8
    Deadlifts 2 x 6-8
    Barbell Shrugs 2 x 8
  16. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEZE View Post
    I alternate each week between deads and t-bars...otherwise they take too much out of me. I also start with pull-ups and then work into pulldowns and rows; finishing with deads. I seem to feel the deads a lot more when doing them at the end of the workout...good way to fail out at the end of the day.
    Exactly!!!Flex them lats and keep the shoulders pinched and you will feel the back working.Do some rack deads the same way to realy trash the lats and especially the rear traps.Much more weight to overload the back more with minimal if any legs.I prefer to pull from the knee's.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

I was always told you should work your back from top to bottom. That's more or less how I do it but when I do pull-ups or chins I usually try to do those first when I'm the strongest. Unless I'm on cycle then I do whatever the fcuk I want
  18. Banned

yeah I would only do pullups last if I could do like 30 bodyweight pullups.Then it wouldn't matter.It's the same with benching,if you do flat or inc second,it will be severely weaker than if you did it first.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Always do the heaviest lifts first. Deads, bench, chins, squats ext. that's what I've always heard from coaches, books, ext....
  20. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hate4TheWeak View Post
    Always do the heaviest lifts first. Deads, bench, chins, squats ext. that's what I've always heard from coaches, books, ext....
    I do,except for back day.I love deads at the end to finish off the back right.Plus as previously mentioned I can feel the back working much harder when it's been pre fatigued.Some say this is why they do flye's before presses on chest day cause they can feel the chest working harder...............Perfect example of the different ideas to training which all within reason are right,and none are wrong.
  21. Registered User

There really isn't a "wrong" way to do things. A general rule of thumb for exercise order that's been proven effective is: ALWAYS start with power lifts first, compound lifts next, lsolation/auxilliary lifts after that. Switching it up a bit shouldnt hurt, but I would always do deads/squats/presses first (after power lifts).
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  177 lbs.

I find that if I do deads at the beginning of my workout I don't have enough energy left to really work the rest of my back. If I do them at the end of my workout I can't do them as hard as I want to. My solution is to do deads with shoulders on a separate day along with shoulders.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula94 View Post
    I find that if I do deads at the beginning of my workout I don't have enough energy left to really work the rest of my back. If I do them at the end of my workout I can't do them as hard as I want to. My solution is to do deads with shoulders on a separate day along with shoulders.
    Now there's a problem-solver right there.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is free test the cause of my low libido
    By vvs1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 11:18 PM
  2. so i guess this is how the rest of my summer goes
    By frankenscort in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 02:41 PM
  3. The begining of my BB experience
    By tommy36p in forum Pics