Personal Training certifications

1. Registered User

Personal Training certifications

I am starting to research Personal Training Certifications. Anyone know anything about them?

I am tryig to research which certification is the most prestigious, or even if it matters? Which on is the most valued?

I know there are several out there like ISSA, etc., and I an trying to learn the differences between them. Is there any difference? or are they just all the same but from seperate companies?

Any information you can provide is appreciated...

I am still researching and searching.

Thanks.

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I am certified through the NSCA and I recommend if that if you trying to build a career, then go with either NSCA or ACSM. Some gyms will want two certifications unless you have either of these two.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I am certified through the NSCA and I recommend if that if you trying to build a career, then go with either NSCA or ACSM. Some gyms will want two certifications unless you have either of these two.
    Thank you.

Any comments on ISSA? I will look into the two you mentioned.
    •   

4. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This is good advice...I am ISSA Certified and ummmm....It's kinda useless unless you're trying to impress girls....

I've learned more from this site than I did from the ISSA certification process....

Not trying to knock on the ISSA or anything..they are really trying to do good things...I just feel they grant certification too easily...A certification process should set standards, and high ones at that...and I just don't think this one meets that criteria....
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by myfathersboy View Post
    This is good advice...I am ISSA Certified and ummmm....It's kinda useless unless you're trying to impress girls....

I've learned more from this site than I did from the ISSA certification process....

Not trying to knock on the ISSA or anything..they are really trying to do good things...I just feel they grant certification too easily...A certification process should set standards, and high ones at that...and I just don't think this one meets that criteria....

Thanks, this is what I needed to hear. I got the information from from what I think is a reputable site, and your answer kind of demonstrates the site was merely selling the certification package, and may not really be standing behind the product.

After looking into the two that Rodja sited, I think I may been investigating them more thoroughly.

Thanks, to both. This site really does help out...
  6. Registered User

im reps certified its a english register a lot of english gyms want take you unless you are reps certified, but the course fees are not cheap in the thousands, only problem is i live it Holland and they do not have a clue what reps certified means.
  7. King Kong
    Board Sponsor

Just make sure to check what the gyms take wherever you plan on working. Some are very specific. The one i work at doesnt accept ISSA, and only accepts 5 different certs.
  8. Registered User

Thanks for the input, it is really helping me avoid the problems...one of the reasons I love this website.

Presently, I am leaning towards ACSM certification. I really looked into NSCA and ACSM, and ACSM appeared to be a slight bit more clear.

Thanks again,
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

late bump.... what are peoples thoughts on the National council of strength and fitness?
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

i wanta be a PT but i have a hard time paying 500 bucks for info i already know...ehehe
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLifter89 View Post
    late bump.... what are peoples thoughts on the National council of strength and fitness?
    I've never heard of them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User

NFPT is an easy one and is like a weekand course.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

Haven't heard of them, but it seems more like a crash course if its a weekend ordeal. I prefer ISSA because of how in depth it is. You get a 700+ page book from them. Now I haven't done a quick cert type thing, but I've heard from other trainers that you get a lot more info from something like ISSA than a short class.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbinmuffin View Post
    Haven't heard of them, but it seems more like a crash course if its a weekend ordeal. I prefer ISSA because of how in depth it is. You get a 700+ page book from them. Now I haven't done a quick cert type thing, but I've heard from other trainers that you get a lot more info from something like ISSA than a short class.
    glad i'm not the only one that likes ISSA. i'm almost done with their PT course. and i would not say it's useless or super easy. it is quite in depth. i'm wondering if different parts of the country have different opinions on place that offer PT courses. i noticed that someone mentioned that some gyms do not take ISSA certs. just wondering......
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

Hmmm, I figured ISSA was pretty well accredited. Every gym around here recognizes it. There are other institutions that have certifications that will add to your original ISSA cert, so obviously other institutions recognize ISSA as a pretty legit institution. Also, ISSA has a ton of other certifications you can add on.

But as you said, Lenno, it is very in depth. It could be easy if you just read the section and answer the questions, but if you really want to learn about the certification then it definitely is a great book to study. They cover everything from kinesiology to nutrition.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

I am certified through NSCA. This cert gets mucho respect everywhere. NSCA and ACSM are definately at the top of the food chain as far as A&P and Kinesiology knowledge goes, which in the long run I think will make you a much better trainer. Both of these certs give you the knowledge to create a program for just about anybody of any fitness level. NASM, ACE and the like are recognized by most chain gyms, but in my opinion skimp bigtime on knowledge and basically just teach you a program without any how or why. If you want to be a respected independent trainer with a firm base in exercise science nothing tops NSCA or ACSM imo...
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

I looked at ISSA and at NSCA, I feel ISSA is more complete and streamlined, and probably offers a good deal more knowledge in a more desirable way. The NSCA looks good as well.

Man I should just drop the coin on the ISSA and begin...

Interesting to say the least. How detailed is that 700 page book? 500 bucks for the whole deal is not bad either.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

just to make sure you're aware...

the ISSA is not certified by the NCCA, the reason being that the certifying test is an open book online exam. Most people in the fitness industry know this and therefore don't accept this cert alone as meeting the qualifications for hire. anyways... good luck w/ your decision
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

Anatomy and Physiology
    -metabolism
    -basic anatomy and physiology
    -muscle anatomy and physiology

Kinesiology and Biomechanics
    -kinesiology of exercise
    -biomechanical concepts of exercise
    -musculoskeletal deviations
    -muscle mechanics

Health and Physical Fitness
    -strength
    -cardiovascular training theory
    -flexibility
    -body composition

Program Development
    -program development
    -basic assessment of fitness participants
    -training principles
    -periodization
    -determining training loads

Nutrition
    -weighing the truth on exercise and nutrition
    -the basics of sound nutrition
    -estimating caloric needs
    -the ISSA zig-zag approach to muscle gain and fat loss
    -fad diets and nutrition
    -supplementation

Injury and Disease
    -exercise and:
    older adults
    adaptive fitness
    our youth
    hypertension
    diabetes
    arthritis
    coronary heart disease
    pregnancy
    asthma
    sports medicine in the trenches
    -basic first aid

Let me know if you want more info on any of those.
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    I looked at ISSA and at NSCA, I feel ISSA is more complete and streamlined, and probably offers a good deal more knowledge in a more desirable way. The NSCA looks good as well.

Man I should just drop the coin on the ISSA and begin...

Interesting to say the least. How detailed is that 700 page book? 500 bucks for the whole deal is not bad either.
    However, there is a reason that the NSCA is more accredited and they also have a much larger reach into the business. NSCA's exam is 40% Ex Phys, 40% program design, 10% legality, 10% special issues, IIRC. The biggest problem for most is the Ex Phys portion (e.g. actin, myosin, A&P, etc), but it is well worth it. Having the certification also displays a sense of initiative because it is one of the harder exams to pass and is also not very cheap.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. personal training certification. help...
    By chitown58 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  2. personal training certifications. help...
    By chitown58 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
  3. Fake personal training certificates ?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum General Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
  4. Personal Training Certification?
    By tmb6x in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 03:32 PM
  5. Personal Training Certification
    By Iron&Pain in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 12:23 AM