Need some new ideas

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Alright guys, help me out here. I need some new training ideas to increase my strength. I'm 26 and have been lifting seriously for almost 2 years. In that time I have put on some size and added some strength. But I'm not satisfied with my current level of strength. I try to stick with exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses-you know, compound movements. I guess my goal is to get my bench press consistently to the 300 + range. Currently, my benchmax hovers between 250-275. I deadlifted 270 for 3 reps the other day. I'd like to get that up to 350-400 range consistently. It seems like I take 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

I'm not really worried about striations and shape at this time. Although eventually I may focus on that aspect of my training, first I want to get my strength at an acceptable level. Could you guys throw out some possible routines that would allow me to focus on these 3 exercises (squat, deadlifts, and bench presses)? I'm trying to decide on a set/rep scheme that is conducive to gaining raw strength. Also, I'm trying to decide how many days rest are necessary. I know these things will vary somewhat from person to person but let me hear some ideas. What's worked for you guys?

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
bump. Come on somebody throw me a bone here.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
There's not much anyone can tell you based on what you've posted so far. Lifting for two years likely lands you in the intermediate range of training. You'd probably have a lot to gain by periodization a la dual facotr 5x5 or other dual factor programs. However, without more detailed information about your current routine and some hint as to why you think you might be stalling, that's about as much as anyone can tell you.

satyricon

Awards
just try to switch thing up yet still be consistant.try 12 9 6 3 12 sets 5x5s singles doubles etc. if you want to bring your max singles up on a certain lift its better to concentrate on one at a time. use one day for high reps/low sets one for low reps/high sets. like mon bench(10 sets of 3) and some assist work(triceps lats traps) tues squat wed off thurs dumbell inlines(3 of 12) dips chins fri deadlift or rack pulls power cleans. then after a few weeks concentrate on the squat or deadlift. read powerlifting usa for some good stuff on upping your ###

Bull6125

Bull6125

Awards
Compound movements are great and I personally love them, but you need to isolate muscle groups as well. I would change my entire w/o to focus on supporting muscle groups (shoulders, triceps, calves, abdominals, traps, rhomboid, lower back), with less attention spent on large muscles (i.e chest, quads, hams, glutes, and lats) for at least 4 weeks, and then return your focus on the main groups. This is a technique I personally use to get through my ruts or plateaus. I would also make sure my cardio is in check, because without endurance/stamina and sufficient, oxygen rich blood-flow your lifts This site has many workout resources available. Best of luck. can suffer. Compound lifts does not equate "serious lifting", a well balanced and varying work-out regime however, does.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Thanks Bull. I appreciate the ideas. Perhaps that is part of the problem-the fact that I need to strengthen the weaker links that are involved in these compound movements.

Bull6125

Bull6125

Awards
Thanks Bull. I appreciate the ideas. Perhaps that is part of the problem-the fact that I need to strengthen the weaker links that are involved in these compound movements.
You will be surprised, best of luck bud!