arnold style volume lifting

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
well does anyone here practice these techniques. i used to, gained huge, then hit a major plateu (spell check please) so i moved on to doing hit now i do a 3 day split medium volume i was thinking i might go back to volume training but if i did it would only be for 4 to six weeks, then i would recover for 2 weeks and maybe go to 5x5

so what i am looking for is if anyone here practices this on a regular basis, and how long have they been doing it, what kind of schedule do you do thanks

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Are u talking about his high volume supersets? I did that for a while and loved it. I think I abused it though. I had some sick pumps and strength from it. I will do it again later on down the road.

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
not just that but his like 25 sets per muscle group, but yes also those tri sets he did man those are sick

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
not just that but his like 25 sets per muscle group, but yes also those tri sets he did man those are sick
Oh yeah I did it like that, they were great. I would superset for example chest and back do 5-6 sets of each lift then move on to a different lift and do the same. It was insane but nice. Like I said I think I overdid and did it for to long.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO Arnold's training is overtraining, unless you're using gear , and even then it's arguable. WAAAY too much volume and frequency.

BTW. it's plateau

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
IMO Arnold's training is overtraining, unless you're using gear , and even then it's arguable. WAAAY too much volume and frequency.

BTW. it's plateau
i am not saying i disagree, even if your using gear if done for very long it will result in over training, but i think it might be able to be used for a short period of time an give good results, i will be trying soon

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established

BTW. it's plateau
It is a sure fire way to overtrain. I know from experience. I even modified still overtrained lol.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
I believe it is "good" to do once in awhile just to shock your muscles and change it up once in awhile. Definitly would not be a good training routine to do consistently, as it is very taxing on your whole body.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
The average Joe and by that I mean 98% of the population will overtrain using such practices. Everyone has to remember he has genetics you and I don't have and on top of that he was juiced to the gills. That makes his body a genetic monster for adding muscle, almost inhuman.

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
here is the routine i have come up with for this volume training i took this out of arnolds encyclipedia and pieced it together

day1 chest, tri's
BarBell BPress 15, 10, 8, 6, 4

Incline BB BP 10, 8, 6, 4

DB flys 10, 8, 6

Dips 15, 10, 8

Pullovers 3x15

tri extentions 15, 10, 8, 6

push downs 4x8

kick backs 3x10

day 2 legs

squats 20, 10, 8, 6, 4

front squats 10, 8, 8, 6

Hack squats 3x10

leg curls 20, 10, 8, 6

Straight leg DL 3x10

seated calf raises 4x10

Standing Calf Raises 15, 10, 8, 8

day 3 shoulders

Behind Neck BB press 15, 10, 8, 8, 6

L Raises 4x8 x2

Bent Over L raises 4x8 x2

DB shrugs 3x10

UpRight rows 10, 8, 8, 6

day 4
back, bi's

Chin ups 4x10 min

Close Grip chin ups 4x10

T bar rows 15, 12, 8, 6

Bent Over BB rows 12, 10, 8, 8

BB Curls 15, 10, 8, 6, 4

incline Db curls 4x8

concentration curls 3x8

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
I believe it is "good" to do once in awhile just to shock your muscles and change it up once in awhile. Definitly would not be a good training routine to do consistently, as it is very taxing on your whole body.
that is exactly what i am thinking

smalls556

smalls556

Awards
so far i have done the back, chest, and legs on this routine. i love it. i just finished legs, i had to switch hack squats for leg press. it was the best workout i have had in recent memory. i love doing the squats, then front squats. i haven't done front squats since weight lifting for football in high school. that was like 5 years ago or so. my legs feel so demolished i just downed 75 grams of dextrose, in 15 min i will down 70 grams of protein then in about 30 minutes i will blend up 2 cups of oatmeal

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
The average Joe and by that I mean 98% of the population will overtrain using such practices. Everyone has to remember he has genetics you and I don't have and on top of that he was juiced to the gills. That makes his body a genetic monster for adding muscle, almost inhuman.
Exactly. I don't like to judge something negatively I havn't tried though. I mean doing his routine for 2 weeks may actually shock your body to **** resulting in some growth. But anymore then that and you are pissing in the wind my friend.

yoshi5674

yoshi5674

Awards
  • Established
I have been using Arnolds routines and principles for 12 years. I do switch up the routines but for the most part I use his. I love my growth but I have had alot of downtime due to injuries.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I have been using Arnolds routines and principles for 12 years. I do switch up the routines but for the most part I use his. I love my growth but I have had alot of downtime due to injuries.
Injuries as a result of the intense routine?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
That's the thing will high volume work. Not saying this is bad to throw in the mix but for long periods this is not a wise choice for most.

yoshi5674

yoshi5674

Awards
  • Established
Injuries as a result of the intense routine?
I wouldn't blame it on the routines themsleves. It is a combination of the high amount of stress the routine put on my body and now that I look back, I also have to blame my diet and lifestyle. I guess mostly ignorance. I responded very well to the Arnold routines but didn't know that much about support supps for my joints. I read his Encyclopedia to Modern Bodybuilding and took off from there. If the internet was as far along then as it is today, I would have been more educated. That doesn't mean I would have changed anything though. I was young and consequences didn't matter to me. Thank god I never used gear, I would have died.