Deadlift Grip: Yay or Nay?

  1. Senior Member
    rampage jackson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    755
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    62.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Deadlift Grip: Yay or Nay?


    I recently bought the Lee Priest style weightlifting "cuffs," as my last pair of straps finally went out on me (luckily during warmups). Because of the construction of the cuff, I find it difficult to use an over/under grip while doing deads with them. I've been using a double-overhand grip, and it seems perfectly comfortable. Is there anything anatomically wrong with this? Any warning signs to look out for?
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

  2. New Member
    riseboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    274
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    49.97%

    nothing anatomically incorrect. The main reason alternating grip is often advocated or seen is because the two difering grips allow for less "slippage" or "rolling" of the bar. Think about it. As you approach heavier and heavier weight, as the bar begins to "slip" or "roll" from one hand, it is actually "rolling" into the other hand, enhancing the grip. Hope that makes sense.
  3. Board Sponsor
    WhatsaRoid?'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,428
    Rep Power
    3652
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    73.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by riseboi View Post
    nothing anatomically incorrect. The main reason alternating grip is often advocated or seen is because the two difering grips allow for less "slippage" or "rolling" of the bar. Think about it. As you approach heavier and heavier weight, as the bar begins to "slip" or "roll" from one hand, it is actually "rolling" into the other hand, enhancing the grip. Hope that makes sense.
    My fav grip by the way. Anyway what are cuff straps? How much do you two dl? I'ma try and push my max over 500 this summer.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Jstrong20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Power
    215266
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    57.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    The grip your using is actually safer. The only reason to use a mixed grip is because you can grip heavier weight better. If your using straps their is no reason to use a mixed grip.
  5. Professional Member
    MentalTwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,516
    Rep Power
    2357
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    80.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    The grip your using is actually safer. The only reason to use a mixed grip is because you can grip heavier weight better. If your using straps their is no reason to use a mixed grip.
    I disagree. It's has happend(few and far between) that mixed can casue a bicep tear. I always did double inner but yes once i began to get real heavy i had to go reverse. Also a note, they say strong hand face out...nay. I am right and i always do left out. I tried left in but it does not feel comfortable and throws my focus off. For anything up to 10 or more rep...double inner. 6-8 left in right out. For the heavy stuff left out right in. Just my style though.
  6. Board Supporter
    200wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    365
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    75.77%

    I like a mixed grip on deads, definatley helps but I have seen a friend of mine at the gym hurt his bicep when going heavy using mixed.

    If your using straps I can't see any reason for a mixed grip.
  7. Senior Member
    Jstrong20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Power
    215266
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    57.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    I disagree. It's has happend(few and far between) that mixed can casue a bicep tear. I always did double inner but yes once i began to get real heavy i had to go reverse. Also a note, they say strong hand face out...nay. I am right and i always do left out. I tried left in but it does not feel comfortable and throws my focus off. For anything up to 10 or more rep...double inner. 6-8 left in right out. For the heavy stuff left out right in. Just my style though.

    I think you misunderstood as it sounds your saying the same thing as me. I ment that a mixed grip was more dangerous and a pronated grip is safer. If someone doesn't compete in powerlifting I don't see a need for a mixed grip.
  8. New Member
    satyricon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    153
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    60.99%

    is there a reason that you need the straps? if you work on your grip a little you wont need to use the straps until you get to the heavier weights.try doing deadlift holds in the rack for a few weeks and throw in some wrist and forearm stuff.you should be able to get fairly heavy without the use of straps or belts and and all that.just my opinion tho.
  9. Advanced Member
    BigCasino's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    581
    Rep Power
    419
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    69.45%

    I'm trying to break the state DL record for my age group and I use a mixed grip. No injuries or pains in doing so thus far.
  10. Senior Member
    Jstrong20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Power
    215266
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    57.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BigCasino View Post
    I'm trying to break the state DL record for my age group and I use a mixed grip. No injuries or pains in doing so thus far.
    Yeah its not a thing that is definatley going to happen just more likley with that grip. I also use a mixed grip for a max single. I can actualy lift alot more because I lose tightness from being bent over adjusting the straps.
  11. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsaRoid? View Post
    My fav grip by the way. Anyway what are cuff straps? How much do you two dl? I'ma try and push my max over 500 this summer.
    Double-overhand is my fav way to hold the bar as well. If anything it will help keep you more symmetrical.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  12. Professional Member
    MentalTwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,516
    Rep Power
    2357
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    80.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Double-overhand is my fav way to hold the bar as well. If anything it will help keep you more symmetrical.
    Thats why i try to switch i am so worried about symetry. I use straps casue i do have weak hands. kind of small stubby fingers. i work on grip a bit but i see no reason i shouldn't use straps. im not competitive. i usuall do go as far as i can without them. When i start a lift and feel it loosen right away i use them. It pisses me off to no i have to, thats why i dont use a belt either. Get strong and handle the weight. but my hands suck.
  13. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    Thats why i try to switch i am so worried about symetry. I use straps casue i do have weak hands. kind of small stubby fingers. i work on grip a bit but i see no reason i shouldn't use straps. im not competitive. i usuall do go as far as i can without them. When i start a lift and feel it loosen right away i use them. It pisses me off to no i have to, thats why i dont use a belt either. Get strong and handle the weight. but my hands suck.
    Straps seem to have a different negative effect on symmetry though. I had been using them too much on back days, and my forearms were beginning to get out of proportion with my upper arm (think of Greg Valentino for an overly exaggerated example of what was going on). The past few weeks I've been doing a few of the lighter sets raw, and it seems to be effecting the overall size of my forearms.

    I guess what I'm getting at is that these sorts of things are like drugs and alcohol: they're arguably ok in moderation, but if you go overboard, they have their way of catching up with you.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  14. Senior Member
    rampage jackson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    755
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    62.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Straps seem to have a different negative effect on symmetry though. I had been using them too much on back days, and my forearms were beginning to get out of proportion with my upper arm (think of Greg Valentino for an overly exaggerated example of what was going on). The past few weeks I've been doing a few of the lighter sets raw, and it seems to be effecting the overall size of my forearms.

    I guess what I'm getting at is that these sorts of things are like drugs and alcohol: they're arguably ok in moderation, but if you go overboard, they have their way of catching up with you.

    Don't worry...the forarms get plenty of.....action lol j/k. Since I've started using the cuffs, I've added about 35 lbs to my rack pulls (around 360lbs). I've also started using them on lat pulldowns...helps alot.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  15. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    You see, I just know a few girls with strong neck muscles, so the forearms don't get too much action for me :P
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  16. New Member
    semper60003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    102
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    44.1%

    gotta use straps during training
  17. New Member
    DanOz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    111
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    54.83%

    I use a trap bar for deadlifting so which grip to use is not an issue. As for grip strength, I also use the trap bar for Farmers Walks, and grip has improved majorly.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Asking if some one takes juice, yay or nay?
    By warbird01 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 05:23 PM
  2. Superman Returns 2006 - Suit: yay or nay?
    By Y2Jversion1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 04:55 PM
  3. Catfish...yay or nay?
    By rampage jackson in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 03:03 AM
  4. Hot Sauce Yay or Nay?
    By ex_banana-eater in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in