1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

My 14 year old son

Not sure where to put this, but I think this area will work. He's into lifting, and he's getting pretty damned good at it. He especially likes to dead lift. Yesterday he pulled 300 for the first time. He's 6'2" and weighs about 165.

His workout consists of doing 1 body part a week. He works out usually 5 days a week, and does cardio.

My question is this. He's starting to pull some heavy deads. Should I be concerned about him hurting himself? I mean, I know it can happen to anyone, but is there a "limit" or something I should set down for him so he doesn't hurt himself?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.3%

Can you supervise? Get his form checked by a professional...
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.61%

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Not sure where to put this, but I think this area will work. He's into lifting, and he's getting pretty damned good at it. He especially likes to dead lift. Yesterday he pulled 300 for the first time. He's 6'2" and weighs about 165.

His workout consists of doing 1 body part a week. He works out usually 5 days a week, and does cardio.

My question is this. He's starting to pull some heavy deads. Should I be concerned about him hurting himself? I mean, I know it can happen to anyone, but is there a "limit" or something I should set down for him so he doesn't hurt himself?
    so he is working 1 body part for 5 days? I think you and him should do some research together and come up with a more effective and healthier workout plan...like all body parts once per week.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.11%

No...he said he works out 5 days a week and does each body part once a week.

My advise would to teach him to stick to the basic compound movements and advise him to take a week off from time to time. As far as the amount of weight he does...as long as he can do the exercise for 5 reps then I don't think he has much to worry about.

I would make sure he's using good form and continue to encourage him to keep up the good work.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Thanks guys. I've had some buddies at the gym that are much more experianced than me at dead lifting helping him out. Was just concerned that he might be starting to lift more than his 14 year old frame is ready for.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.3%

I agree with firefighter. Play it safe and don't let him do more than his 5 rep max. Sounds like he'll still become a beast.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.89%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Thanks guys. I've had some buddies at the gym that are much more experianced than me at dead lifting helping him out. Was just concerned that he might be starting to lift more than his 14 year old frame is ready for.
    Chances are, if his muscles are ready for it, the rest of his body will also be.

People forget about what kids do in places like play grounds and climbing trees. Jumping down from several feet in the air over and over will put WAY more stress on joint, ligaments and tendons than anything these kids could lift in training.

In just running, the impact forces on one leg are as much as 2.5 times bodyweight. Now imagine jumping down from some tree limb that's 4-5 feet in the air.

Similar Forum Threads

1. I could use some real advice for my 15 1/2 year old son
    By concerned mom in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
  2. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
  3. Safe fat burner for my 50 year old mom?
    By RoboGiblets in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
  4. Help training my 55 year old mother
    By NYhomeboy in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 07:34 PM
  5. Need a supp stack for my 15 Year old brother-
    By JBlaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 12:15 AM