The BEST workout for a SUPER Wide back?

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my lats are doing ok but id reallt like to make them pop out a bit more. so hook a brother up with some ideas.

Cerberus

Awards
Workout A:
A1) Pull-Ups: 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 201 Rest: 0 seconds
A2) Straight Bar Kneeling Pulldowns (hands hip width, not shoulder): 3-5 x 12-15 Tempo: 301 Rest: 120 seconds

B1) Hammer Single Arm Rows: 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 201 Rest: 0 seconds
B2) Rope Face Pulls: 3-5 x 15-20 Tempo: 201 Rest: 120 seconds

Workout B:
A1) Pin Deadlifts (knee height): 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 201 Rest: 0 seconds
A2) Isometric Inverted Rows (or Isometric Seated Rows): 3-5 x 30-40seconds Tempo: xxx Rest: 150 seconds

B1) Chin-Ups: 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 301 Rest: 0 seconds
B2) Ez-Bar Pullovers: 3-5 x 12-15 Tempo: 301 Rest: 120 seconds

Remember to use your lats to eccentricly control the movement, and concentrically dominant the rep. If you are arm dominant, you may want to pre-fatigue your biceps.

When you deadlift, before you pull, isometrically contract your shoulder blades back and down extremely hard, then do NOT move when you are pulling. Maintain a perfect alignment of your spine, and challenge the hell out of your lats/rhomboids/traps/etc.

Have fun.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Workout A:
A1) Pull-Ups: 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 201 Rest: 0 seconds
A2) Straight Bar Kneeling Pulldowns (hands hip width, not shoulder): 3-5 x 12-15 Tempo: 301 Rest: 120 seconds

B1) Hammer Single Arm Rows: 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 201 Rest: 0 seconds
B2) Rope Face Pulls: 3-5 x 15-20 Tempo: 201 Rest: 120 seconds

Workout B:
A1) Pin Deadlifts (knee height): 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 201 Rest: 0 seconds
A2) Isometric Inverted Rows (or Isometric Seated Rows): 3-5 x 30-40seconds Tempo: xxx Rest: 150 seconds

B1) Chin-Ups: 3-5 x 6-8 Tempo: 301 Rest: 0 seconds
B2) Ez-Bar Pullovers: 3-5 x 12-15 Tempo: 301 Rest: 120 seconds

Remember to use your lats to eccentricly control the movement, and concentrically dominant the rep. If you are arm dominant, you may want to pre-fatigue your biceps.

When you deadlift, before you pull, isometrically contract your shoulder blades back and down extremely hard, then do NOT move when you are pulling. Maintain a perfect alignment of your spine, and challenge the hell out of your lats/rhomboids/traps/etc.

Have fun.

thanks a lot bro. ill try that next time

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
Try Rack Chins....if you dont know what they are, look them up....Absolutely amazing exercise.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try Rack Chins....if you dont know what they are, look them up....Absolutely amazing exercise.
yeah i saw you put that in a older thread. i started doing them at the end of workouts to burn out. only problem is my grip gives out kinda fast.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
^^^^ Get some lifting straps, they will lock you in!

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I checked out some vids. I use weighted pull ups, but I will be trying these out! Great idea!

I've done rows like that before, but this should be great!

:thumbsup:

Stavross

Stavross

Board Supporter
Awards
Barbell rows supersetted with db pullovers. Good combo IMO.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Snatches really made my upper back and traps grow a lot when our coach made us do them during college ball. Drop sets with t-bar rows have been good to me.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
my back is probably my most developed feature. I do chins. I mean, i REALLY do chins, like 3 times per week. 5 workouts are rep work, the 6th day is 10 sets of 3 with a constant weight.

I use one minute rest periods.

I also do single arm rowing and renegade rows at least once a week, each. Your lats might be able to handle more volume than other body parts, as mine can.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
i was wingless before, doing wide grip pullups has helped spout some baby wingage :)

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Oh, i'm not really sure if you're hypertrophy or strength minded primarily. But either way:

Work hard, consistently til you can do a single deadhang chinup with 75% of your bodyweight on your waist. I guarantee that you will have extreme development for your size, whatever that is. Let me know if you need help getting it that strong.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Do you use the assisted pull-up machine to start one handed chins or just go for it going up as much as you can?

Oh, i'm not really sure if you're hypertrophy or strength minded primarily. But either way:

Work hard, consistently til you can do a single deadhang chinup with 75% of your bodyweight on your waist. I guarantee that you will have extreme development for your size, whatever that is. Let me know if you need help getting it that strong.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Do you use the assisted pull-up machine to start one handed chins or just go for it going up as much as you can?
I "think" he meant a single as in 1 rep. You would have to a BEAST to do a one handed pull up w/ 75% of your BW hangin off your waist!!! :bb:

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I like weighted pull ups a lot...most I can do is 7 reps @ 35 lbs wide and 6 or 7 reps @ 45 lbs w/ neutral grip.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Wide, close and medium grip chins, deadlifts, one-arm rows (rowing to the waist), after you train back hang from a chin bar for 90 seconds, if you can't do your body weight then do this on a lat pulldown machine with straps and make sure to use enough weight that it's an insane stretch, this'll add some width to those lats :) DC stretching is where it's at

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I agree with the "hanging" suggestion.

And for the weighted single, i meant a two-handed supinated (palms towards) single rep maximum.

As far as one armed chins go, yes you could use the assist machine to do so, however most one armed chinners recommend static holds, negatives, towel assisteds, etc. I'm about to do my bw (180lbs) plus 135 on my waist on Sunday. The following week i will go for a repetition PR of 30+ reps.

After that, comes the quest for the single armed chin.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I'm about to do my bw (180lbs) plus 135 on my waist on Sunday. The following week i will go for a repetition PR of 30+ reps.

After that, comes the quest for the single armed chin.
:jaw:

Nice! :head:

That's impressive! :D

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
whoa....do you rock climb at all? i figure i may try out the wall at the gym to help my strength as well

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I've never rock climbed, but i really want to (i know that sounds stupid). I'm sure i'd love it. I'm also built for it. 5'10 tall and have a reach over 6'2. Pullups are my favorite exercise, i love being outdoors, and i love climbing on things...hmm, wtf is my problem i'm going next week.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Wide, close and medium grip chins, deadlifts, one-arm rows (rowing to the waist), after you train back hang from a chin bar for 90 seconds, if you can't do your body weight then do this on a lat pulldown machine with straps and make sure to use enough weight that it's an insane stretch, this'll add some width to those lats :) DC stretching is where it's at

I wouldnt recommend something like this for the long haul. This can play havoc on the shoulders and cause problems when you get older.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Ever since I started isolating my outter and lower lats, I've noticed a huge difference... I'll post some before and after pics later on. But my back routine is as follows:

Wide grip pull-ups 3 sets till failure
B/O barbell rows 3 sets 6-10 reps
Single arm DB row 3 sets 6-10 reps
Cable row 3 sets 6-10 reps
Reverse grip lat pull-downs 3 sets 6-10 reps
Straight arm lat pull-down 3 sets 6-10 reps