Shrugs with Back or Shoulders?

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
I personally have heard both sides. I do my shrugs with shoulders. Everyone tell me your opinion.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
They're technically a back muscle...upper traps. Once I started doing heavy deads, my traps blew up, so I completely stopped doing any shrugs.

To answer your questions...I used to do them with back.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
My shoulder day would be pretty short without them and my back day would be packed...

They fit into my routine better on delt day.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I do them on back day. If i forget, then shoulder day

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Leg day. I give alot on shoulders and dont feel im gettin enough out of shrugs on back or shoulder days casue i put so much in. So i give alot on leg day to, but....it had really nothing directly to do wiht them except settin weight there.
Squats
Smith Calf raises
leg press
shrugs
curls
Done. short intense day.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
I like them on my back day. As others have said, they are a back muscle.

Deadlifts
Pulldowns
Bent over raises
Shrugs

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I do them with shoulders too...4 day split...

Mon - Chest/Tri
Tue - Back/Bi

Thu - Legs
Fri - Shoulders/Traps/Neck

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to switch them off and on, sometimes back, sometimes shoulders. Now if I see them lagging Ill do shoulders. But like Crunch says about The Dead-lift. Once Heavy Deads started traps seem to need not much work or none at all.

Right now Im pulling 405 conventional.

Currently doing a sumo-stance (first time ever) routine for six weeks.

and yes technically traps are back.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I do them with shoulders too...4 day split...

Mon - Chest/Tri
Tue - Back/Bi

Thu - Legs
Fri - Shoulders/Traps/Neck
Very close to my workout routine. Holy crap...

Only difference is the order. I don't like having only one day between chest and delts.

I go:

Legs
Chest/Tri

Back/Bi
Delts/Trap/Forearms

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Very close to my workout routine. Holy crap...

Only difference is the order. I don't like having only one day between chest and delts.

I go:

Legs
Chest/Tri

Back/Bi
Delts/Trap/Forearms
Great minds think alike! :)

Actually, I get 3 days...T/W/TH and then 2 days SA/SU. I agree...having Chest and delts too close together will hinder progress.

BTW PI, you look great in the avy, bro. Nice work! :bb2:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I feel after a good back day my traps are slightly warm and raring for a nice bout of heavy shrugs (on the plate loaded shrug machine thing.) I also feel that doing heavy shrugs after a backworkout really puts my grip strength to the test and can really feel it the next days in not just my traps but my forearms.

Also I feel like my traps get enough work during a shoulder workout on there own and dont need to be worked on a shoulder day.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends really on how I feel or how my week is set up. Shoulders or back if I can help it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both for me, but indirectly. They are hit on back day by deadlifts and delt day by cleans.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I personally like to switch it up. I try and switch my routine up every few weeks. Right now I have it with shoulders, when I change stuff up ill do them with back for the next few weeks.

I also agree with heavy deads, you will really feel them the next day after doing those!

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
How do you workout your neck?
I take a 35 plate and fold up a towel. Then I lie down on a bench face up with my head off the bench and place the place on my forehead. Then while holding on to the plate, I lift my head up and then back down. After the set, then flip around and sit on the bench, lean forward, put the plate on the crown of my head and do the same thing backwards. About 12 reps for each direction, then rest.

I used to do them every delt w/o, but now I get them in maybe once a month.

I get a lot of weird looks at the gym :blink:

:D

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
I take a 35 plate and fold up a towel. Then I lie down on a bench face up with my head off the bench and place the place on my forehead. Then while holding on to the plate, I lift my head up and then back down. After the set, then flip around and sit on the bench, lean forward, put the plate on the crown of my head and do the same thing backwards. About 12 reps for each direction, then rest.

I used to do these as well and received the same looks from other gym goers. I really need to get back to doing them.

Back on topic, I hit them on Shoulder days mainly cause of time restraints

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
General consensus...Back muscle...could be done either day.

Most people decide which due to time and the way the feel on either day...?..?...?

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just my 2 cents. My back day(thursday) is way too jammed to do this:dl: , so I use it on my shoulder day along with:
Seated Press
Arny presses
Side, front and rear laterals
shrugs
upright rows

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I also have one of those old head harnesses. THose drive me crazy, dont do them as much any more

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I also have one of those old head harnesses. THose drive me crazy, dont do them as much any more
I love those old school harnesses, but they don't have those at 24 Hour Fitness - too hardcore LOL And I don't do them enough to spend $50 on a harness.

You can definitely feel them!

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards

Lol, I could only imagine. That sounds cool though, I will try it out. Do you think it could be bad for the spine at all?

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
Here's an idea, train them with forearms!:) Just kidding. I do them with shoulders, if at all. Traps get trained ALOT for me with dead lifts. Shrugs are fun to do, though. Whatever you do, don't do forearms the day before, if you isolate them that is. Your grip will be nil.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established

LOL I used to do that. You don't need many sets and it gives you a manly friggin neck.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Here's an idea, train them with forearms!:) Just kidding. I do them with shoulders, if at all. Traps get trained ALOT for me with dead lifts. Shrugs are fun to do, though. Whatever you do, don't do forearms the day before, if you isolate them that is. Your grip will be nil.
I train them with forearms.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Lol, I could only imagine. That sounds cool though, I will try it out. Do you think it could be bad for the spine at all?
Haven't had any issues..in fact, I have had less upper back/neck pain since doing them.

Start off fairly light (like any new movement) and try it out!

Prepare for the stares!!! LOL

"Is he doing abs???" :rofl:

LOL I used to do that. You don't need many sets and it gives you a manly friggin neck.
My neck was kinda skinny compared to the rest of my upper body, but those have def made a difference. I don't look like a wreslter, but defintely bigger neck.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
I train them with forearms.
That actually makes sense. I was kind of making a joke, I should have said "do them on forearm day". You know, like forearms get their own day...nevermind.

I guess actually, you COULD give forearms their own day if you wanted. I once did a split where I had a forearms/traps/abs/calves day. Just little parts, you know.

In short, ignore my stupid post. :shoot: