German Volume Training

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Year old bump
    Merry Christmas

2. This seems way too complicated for me. Maybe I'm just dumb.
    •   

3. 7 month bump
    Couldn't decide to bump or create a new thread for this question: for those that have done GVT and Gironda's 8x8 system (or know what it is)....opinions? results?

4. Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    7 month bump
    Couldn't decide to bump or create a new thread for this question: for those that have done GVT and Gironda's 8x8 system (or know what it is)....opinions? results?
    GVT is very good for hypertrophy. You only need to know how many people view the article to know how successful it was.

Some people find their level of maximal strength drops a little bit once they finish the mesocycle, of course this will come back and then some when you move back into an intensification phase.

I like constructive comments on routines. One big thing with GVT feedback on forums is so many people change it and make it sound like they are still doing the same routine. The rep and set structure, exercise selection and rest periods are like that for a reason.

I have seen people doing two chest exercises both on 5 x 10 instead of one exercise for 10 x 10. Single muscle workouts rather than antagonistic pairing, completely changing the five day microcycle, all sorts of alterations.

To quote Poliquin, it is like putting blueberries in an apple pie and still calling it an apple pie, it just isn't true.

From a personal perspective, I gained mass on GVT. It was effective without a doubt. I just find the programme so boring to stick with, I didn't look forward to going to the gym as much and by the third workout I was already anxious to change it because it was getting tedious. That is psychological feedback though. If I wanted to put mass on quickly, I would be happy to use it again.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    GVT is very good for hypertrophy. You only need to know how many people view the article to know how successful it was.

Some people find their level of maximal strength drops a little bit once they finish the mesocycle, of course this will come back and then some when you move back into an intensification phase.

I like constructive comments on routines. One big thing with GVT feedback on forums is so many people change it and make it sound like they are still doing the same routine. The rep and set structure, exercise selection and rest periods are like that for a reason.

I have seen people doing two chest exercises both on 5 x 10 instead of one exercise for 10 x 10. Single muscle workouts rather than antagonistic pairing, completely changing the five day microcycle, all sorts of alterations.

To quote Poliquin, it is like putting blueberries in an apple pie and still calling it an apple pie, it just isn't true.

From a personal perspective, I gained mass on GVT. It was effective without a doubt. I just find the programme so boring to stick with, I didn't look forward to going to the gym as much and by the third workout I was already anxious to change it because it was getting tedious. That is psychological feedback though. If I wanted to put mass on quickly, I would be happy to use it again.
    I have no doubt of it's effectiveness & have seen the variations...It's been a while since I've attempted it, usually wind up forcing some reps near the end and tweaking something...might hop back on it...although I'm only able to get to the gym M-F...so would have to tailor it to some degree...I'll post up a seperate thread on Gironda's 8x8 system for opinions...as it's somewhat similar in nature to GVT...question though, I do favor the pairing of antagonist muscle groups and doing A1, B1 back and forth for the 10 sets...but if I recall correctly didn't Poliquin 'allow' for say all 10 set of say bench presses with 60 sec rest b/t sets then working rows for 10 sets...if one wasn't wanting or able to go back and forth, bench, row, bench, row, etc...? My gym really isn't set up to 'allow' me to hop back n forth b/t the 2 as such...

6. This is like the first thread ever at AM

7. Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    This is like the first thread ever at AM
    Glad I could help be a part of history then!

8. Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    Glad I could help be a part of history then!
    You and me are friends because of our user names.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    You and me are friends because of our user names.
    Muhwhha, nice! Tool-approved!...

10. Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    I have no doubt of it's effectiveness & have seen the variations...It's been a while since I've attempted it, usually wind up forcing some reps near the end and tweaking something...might hop back on it...although I'm only able to get to the gym M-F...so would have to tailor it to some degree...I'll post up a seperate thread on Gironda's 8x8 system for opinions...as it's somewhat similar in nature to GVT...question though, I do favor the pairing of antagonist muscle groups and doing A1, B1 back and forth for the 10 sets...but if I recall correctly didn't Poliquin 'allow' for say all 10 set of say bench presses with 60 sec rest b/t sets then working rows for 10 sets...if one wasn't wanting or able to go back and forth, bench, row, bench, row, etc...? My gym really isn't set up to 'allow' me to hop back n forth b/t the 2 as such...
    This question surprised me as it doesn't sound like something he would say. I looked into it and went through some of the articles on GVT and AGVT as well as GVT revisited.

Everything I found involves supersets in the programme except one sentence which implies straight sets is a possibility. Here it is "When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue"

So, in theory you could do it in straight sets. Personally I would be very surprised if Charles still said this as there reasons behind antagonistic supersetting including decreasing the drop off curve on both exercises.

If you have the option, I would say do it as written. I have done GVT in commercial gyms and would use one piece of equipment for both exercises i.e., dumbbell bench press and dumbbell chest supported rows.

I hope this helps.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    This question surprised me as it doesn't sound like something he would say. I looked into it and went through some of the articles on GVT and AGVT as well as GVT revisited.

Everything I found involves supersets in the programme except one sentence which implies straight sets is a possibility. Here it is "When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue"

So, in theory you could do it in straight sets. Personally I would be very surprised if Charles still said this as there reasons behind antagonistic supersetting including decreasing the drop off curve on both exercises.

If you have the option, I would say do it as written. I have done GVT in commercial gyms and would use one piece of equipment for both exercises i.e., dumbbell bench press and dumbbell chest supported rows.

I hope this helps.
    Sorry to have made you go searching thru everything to find where I got that...I should have referenced it...The thought did cross my mind to do say benches then BB or DB row and that would be fine...just that when it comes to being able to a pulldown/chin move then it's opposite bench move...or Squats/leg curls, it tricky to do in my gym....check the Gironda 8x8 thread to see what I did...

Similar Forum Threads

1. My experience with german volume training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
  2. German Volume Training
    By kmvern in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 01:36 PM
  3. German Volume Training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 36