German Volume Training

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. quick question. while using the GVT program, should one change the exercises they perform for a bodypart each time they work that bodypart or do the same exercise for each of the 6 workouts?

2. DAMN!!!

I can't think of a better way to say it. I started doing a build up to full GVT last night (5 sets to begin with) and I must say that it kicks major butt.

I did my lower body last night and today I have a deep soreness in the quads and glutes. Not sure I will ever be able to do something to make my calves sore the next day, they just recover to damn fast.

Now the strange part. I have what seems like a full body pump going on right now. It started up shortly after lunch and it is kind of wild. I feel like my pecs are about to rip my shirt open (they aren't I just feel that way). I really don't know how to explain this, but damn it feels good! All I know is if this is the same tomorrow after my upper body tonight I am gonna be sold on GVT before I even get up to the 10 sets.
    •   

3. Originally posted by windwords7
    BTW some people call this the "Perfect 10"
    On Anthony Ellis's program; its called 10x10s

i didn't gain much when i went on 3 weeks of it; of course i wasn't hitting it true to form either... not enough reps or too many...

i'd like to try it; i just don't wanna be disappointed when i try it on my upcoming fina cycle

4. GVT is hell bros, I did legs on monday and they still very sore. Did back last night and the soreness is starting too set in good post Wardog ! karma fo u

5. for you guys out there doing the squat/deadlift superset, you might want to try a squat/leg curl superset and a deadlift/leg press superset separated by 3 days. BTW this is for those who have done the advanced routine before and recover quick. one of my clients put on 20 lbs in 12 weeks without any supplementation other than whey (okay hes a big boy 6'3", 220 before, 240 now).

doing a squat/deadlift superset is alot of stress on the lower back, this routine is less stress and more volume, but reps are 51 so total reps per workout is ~50 per muscle group.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THE BEGINNER (10x10) WORKOUT. YOU WILL GET BETTER RESULTS FROM THAT THE FIRST TIME.

cheers, pete
    •   

6. stregth?

Wardog,
    How much has your strength gone up in this routine?
  7. Nelson

Duration of Workout

Not that this is much of a concern when `on`, but how long does a routine in the Beginner/Intermediate Program take to complete.
    I calculated that it would take about 63 minutes to complete if done according to the article.
    Does this sound right?
    Also, there`s no way I could do 10 sets of 10 reps for chins.
    Do I just do my best or change to a different exercise?
  8. Re: Duration of Workout

Originally posted by Nelson
    Not that this is much of a concern when `on`, but how long does a routine in the Beginner/Intermediate Program take to complete.
    I calculated that it would take about 63 minutes to complete if done according to the article.
    Does this sound right?
    Also, there`s no way I could do 10 sets of 10 reps for chins.
    Do I just do my best or change to a different exercise?
    Yeah, took me a little over a hour. I would suggest using bent-over rows instead of chins, that's what I did. If you feel you can get to 10 sets of 10 fairly quickly, then go with chins. Other exercises could be the lat pulldown, or if your gym has an assisted chin machine, you could use that.
  9. Nelson

B Exercises

Cheers jweave.
    I think I`ll do the bent bb rows as an A & do the chins as a B superset.
    It says to use 60% of 1RM for the exercises.
    Does this apply to both the A & B supersets?
    Since the B supersets are only 3 sets, I thought that maybe I could use a little more weight.

I`m a little confused about the rest periods.
    Is it a set of decline db then onto bb rows without a rest followed by 90 seconds rest & repeat; or
    decline db 90 seconds rest then bb rows, 90 secs rest & repeat.

BTW, this is the split I plan on using once my order arrives from AnabolicMinds:

Chest/Back
    A1 decline db
    A2 bent bb row
    B1 incl flyes
    B2 chins

Legs/Abs
    A1 squats
    A2 seated leg curls
    B1 incline hip raise
    B2 smith standing calf raise

Arms/Shoulders
    A1 ezi close-grip
    A2 ezi curls
    B1 rear lateral raises
    B2 side lateral raises

How`z it look guys?

10. the split is fine. GVT can be tinkered by different individual to fit their needs. (example, my split was chest/shoulders, back/traps, bis/tris, legs) from A1-A2 exercises, rest 90secs between, along with rest between A2-A1 sets. Imagine the with doing squats and deads for the two movements instead of the leg curls.....

what gets most lifters with GVT is not really the # of sets/reps at 10 each but the tempo one should maintain and be strict about....just picture it my friend...no mas! Sage
  11. Re: B Exercises

Is it a set of decline db then onto bb rows without a rest followed by 90 seconds rest & repeat; or
    Good question, bro. Can anyone with experience elaborate on this?
  12. Nelson

JWEAVE

???
  13. Re: B Exercises

I do it as 60 second rests between each exercise in sequence (i.e decline db, rest 60s, decline db, rest 60s....). This is easiest to do in most gyms as you don't have to arrange equipment or walk to another part of the gym to set up. Get a stopwatch also. You can superset, but this way it's easier while at the gym, and will fatigue you quickly.

BTW, this is the split I plan on using once my order arrives from AnabolicMinds:

Chest/Back
    A1 decline db
    A2 bent bb row
    B1 incl flyes
    B2 chins

Legs/Abs
    A1 squats
    A2 seated leg curls
    B1 incline hip raise
    B2 smith standing calf raise

Arms/Shoulders
    A1 ezi close-grip
    A2 ezi curls
    B1 rear lateral raises
    B2 side lateral raises

How`z it look guys?
    Looks fine to me, it'll hurt like a mutha when you first do it! Everyone who's done it knows the leg days all too well *shudders*
  14. Nelson

Thanks jweave

That`s a good point about doing the same exercise in succession.
    My gym doesn`t have a lot of equipment, so this would work better for me.
    You don`t think it would detract from the workout by not doing the supersets, eh?
  15. Re: Thanks jweave

That`s a good point about doing the same exercise in succession.
    My gym doesn`t have a lot of equipment, so this would work better for me.
    You don`t think it would detract from the workout by not doing the supersets, eh?
    Nope, won't hurt at all. You can superset if you like (90 second rests inbetween sets), but I think once you do it you'll find you like the successive sets.

16. If doing a four on/four off/ four on cycle of PH's then on your down month do yo keep the training level high or back up on the ass busting?

17. Originally posted by LCSULLA
    If doing a four on/four off/ four on cycle of PH's then on your down month do yo keep the training level high or back up on the ass busting?
    you would cut back on volume of your lifts while off. Even if you can maintain the high level of intensity and "deeboness" throughout cycle and into your post, one should lay low on the volume however, the intensity of each set should always be a good one. Sage

18. these good for ph cycles or only for real gear? im doing 1T pro cycle for 4 weeks.. two squirts a day..

also in what order should these exercises be done? exactly how they are shown?

one more thing, 3 sets of calves? doesnt seem too effective in that respect..
    Last edited by LakeMountD; 02-17-2003 at 03:54 AM.
    PharmD

19. I have a feeling your calves will respond.. try it!
    Yes it will work for someone on ph as well as gear.

20. I have heard mixed results about GVT, some like it while others say it hasnt done much for them. I dont know who to believe, all I know is I prefer going heavier.

21. Originally posted by Rictor33
    I have heard mixed results about GVT, some like it while others say it hasnt done much for them. I dont know who to believe, all I know is I prefer going heavier.
    so you respond better to heavier weights on ph's and gear?

22. im still kind of confused on a few things.. like doing 10 sets of just decline bench? and on the advanced training it says 10 sets of incline... how you supposed to build different parts of your chest ?
    PharmD

23. Well GVT has WORKED WONDERS FOR ME. IN REFERENCE TO THE DECLINE QUESTION. EACH WEEK I CHANGE UP DOING DECLINE ONE WEEK,INCLINE THE NEXT,FLAT THE NEXT.

24. Originally posted by sifu
    Well GVT has WORKED WONDERS FOR ME. IN REFERENCE TO THE DECLINE QUESTION. EACH WEEK I CHANGE UP DOING DECLINE ONE WEEK,INCLINE THE NEXT,FLAT THE NEXT.
    were you on a ph? and so you did 10 sets of 10 reps? and sorry for the newbie question but what kind of gains did you see during your cycle and which ph did ya use? i am bout to buy some t1 pro

25. I wasn't taking a PH at the time just animal pack,creatine,and Z-mass. I did the 10 x 10, I cained 10 pounds in 12 weeks and I lost 2% BF. I was very hungry all the time while on the training.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My experience with german volume training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
  2. German Volume Training
    By kmvern in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 01:36 PM
  3. German Volume Training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum