How much can you bench?

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Registered User
    scorpiond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    31
    Answers
    0


    At age 23, max was 265 bench at 165 in competition. Then took 12 yrs off from lifting, now at 35 yrs old, after 12 weeks back, did 305 at 180 lbs. (with a little help from epistane )

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    tattoopierced1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,233
    Answers
    0


    325lbs @ 230lbs BW with a full tear in my shoulder. Once it is fixed next week, who knows. Still wanting to break the 400lbs mark. I'm also 6'7" so I have a LONG way to push the weight from my chest.
    Last edited by tattoopierced1; 08-14-2007 at 01:49 PM.
  3. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0


    Some of you BBers that want to hit some bigger numbers like breaking into the 400's and what not should consider adding in just a little bit of westside training.

    Not the entire routine or anything, but just add a few of there training principles and different exercises to your programs.

    Like buying some bands or chains and throwing them in once a week on chest day, or doing some heavy lockouts on tricep day.

    It will help your overall strength, and especially your bench. And as everyone knows, the more weight you can lift, the bigger your muscles can grow, which will have a positive effect on your bb'ing as well
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    BIGG DOGG's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    525
    Answers
    0


    Im 5'11" And Weigh 195... I Have Never Tried For A One Rep Max... I Have A Bad Rotator Cuff On My Right Side... I Usualy End My Set Hitting 275@ 4-6 Reps... I Know I Can Hit More But The Injury And Down Time Arnt Worth It... And I Go Down 90 Degrees Stop And Go Up... No Chest Bouncing...
  5. Registered User
    MEH89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    293
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Some of you BBers that want to hit some bigger numbers like breaking into the 400's and what not should consider adding in just a little bit of westside training.

    Not the entire routine or anything, but just add a few of there training principles and different exercises to your programs.

    Like buying some bands or chains and throwing them in once a week on chest day, or doing some heavy lockouts on tricep day.

    It will help your overall strength, and especially your bench. And as everyone knows, the more weight you can lift, the bigger your muscles can grow, which will have a positive effect on your bb'ing as well

    I have a couple question from your post. I also agree some bodybuilders could benfit from some westside stuff, but very little of it. First how would lockouts help anything, most people raw are weak off the chest, or very low boards (maybe 3 board). If there missing of the chest then there either not strong enough, or to slow. So I agree that maybe doing a dynamic day, or speed day with chains, or bands could make them more explosive. But the arguement there is its not enough volume for them, these bodybuilders are used to alot of volume thats how they grow. The reason westside dosent use alot of volume of dynamic day is first off, they get all there volume from max effort day, theyre benching weights in a shirt way over what the cns can really take. So I just cant see how Westside could help bodybuilders.They would have to take alot of time to get use to it, they would lose alot of size, most bodybuilders wouldnt give up any size for 20 pounds on there bench.So if you could tell me more along what lines youre think of. MaRK
  6. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MEH89 View Post
    I have a couple question from your post. I also agree some bodybuilders could benfit from some westside stuff, but very little of it. First how would lockouts help anything, most people raw are weak off the chest, or very low boards (maybe 3 board). If there missing of the chest then there either not strong enough, or to slow. So I agree that maybe doing a dynamic day, or speed day with chains, or bands could make them more explosive. But the arguement there is its not enough volume for them, these bodybuilders are used to alot of volume thats how they grow. The reason westside dosent use alot of volume of dynamic day is first off, they get all there volume from max effort day, theyre benching weights in a shirt way over what the cns can really take. So I just cant see how Westside could help bodybuilders.They would have to take alot of time to get use to it, they would lose alot of size, most bodybuilders wouldnt give up any size for 20 pounds on there bench.So if you could tell me more along what lines youre think of. MaRK
    For me it's simple. I take just ONE of those things, and add them on top of all the high volume I do on a workout. I don't see how it slows a bber down or would make them lose size. I'll just start one of my normal workouts out with about a 10 minute session of dynamic benching with bands. It adds like 10 minutes to my overall workout and definitely doesn't make me lose size at all. I didn't say to drop bbing and totally train westside style for a year or 6 months or what have you. Just take some of the different exercises that westside training does, and throw one or two into your normal bbing routines. It doesn't take much getting used to, and hardly changes your overall routine. I know that by using this I'm one of the only bbers in my gym that can do anything over 4 plates on bench. And the only one that can do anything over 5.
  7. Registered User
    asianbabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,616
    Answers
    0


    ok I beat you all.. my max is 40kg aka ~90lb :/
  8. Registered User
    kabuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,202
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    The only sub-200 pound guys in high schools i've been to that could press over 315 were either genetic freaks or on some chemicals. You must be in a special high school if everyone on your team was under 200 pounds and lifting over 300. Not that it matters really
    hey now. i used to do my heavy workouts with 275 as a Junior in High school. I would do a rest pause of 5,2,2 then repeat 2-3 minutes later. That was at 160-170ish BW.

    No Chems....but not the slightest idea how to eat either.

    i have no idea what i can bench raw now as i don't train for a raw lift. closest i've come recently is doing some close grip bench and reverse grip bench. On both i've been hitting my working sets in the 420 to 450 range.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
  9. Registered User
    kabuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,202
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    505 raw touch n go on my last winter bulk, was at a bw of 248.

    Hopefully this winter i can go 525. We shall see.
    very nice
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
  10. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kabuki View Post
    very nice


    Thanks bro. You too. I can't imagine hitting 450 on a reverse grip bench. Most I've done was 405 for a double if I recall correctly.
  11. Registered User
    MEH89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    293
    Answers
    0


    I cant really argue with you because there something someone told me along time ago "dont take advice from someone thats smaller than you, or weaker" in this case your stronger, and bigger.I dont know how you really train, or how much you know about westside templates. I just know that most westside is based off a max effort day in a shirt, then dynamic day raw based off your floor press. I wouldnt really call doing dynamic stuff, westside very far from it.Westside is more than ME day, and a Dynamic day, its more than the set up, Westside is a style of life. I think maybe some guys can get some gains from westside exercises, but mostly just from switching there routine up. The most elite benchers in the world are raw, and equiped are westside, kennelly, Wolfe, Smith, Wolf, Winters and many more. So how can I argue. Good Post. Mark
  12. Registered User
    kabuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,202
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MEH89 View Post
    I cant really argue with you because there something someone told me along time ago "dont take advice from someone thats smaller than you, or weaker" in this case your stronger, and bigger.I dont know how you really train, or how much you know about westside templates. I just know that most westside is based off a max effort day in a shirt, then dynamic day raw based off your floor press. I wouldnt really call doing dynamic stuff, westside very far from it.Westside is more than ME day, and a Dynamic day, its more than the set up, Westside is a style of life. I think maybe some guys can get some gains from westside exercises, but mostly just from switching there routine up. The most elite benchers in the world are raw, and equiped are westside, kennelly, Wolfe, Smith, Wolf, Winters and many more. So how can I argue. Good Post. Mark
    some of your understanding of Westside is a little off.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM
  13. Registered User
    machine528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    402
    Answers
    0


    315 at 215 pds.... I have monkey arms though... things hang down past my freakin shins
  14. Registered User
    meowmeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    548
    Answers
    0

    Talking


    Last time I measured I was longer than John Holmes.
  15. Registered User
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Answers
    0


    *Waves to meowmeow


    I'm 6'6, so yeah... no comment about my max.
  16. Registered User
    drivehard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    427
    Answers
    0


    425 @ 212 lbs. yet I still dead lift 600+.
  17. Registered User
    CASENATOR63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Answers
    0


    Best ever was 455@280

    Now 425@270

    Lost a bit but gettin it back
  18. Registered User
    bassgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    43
    Posts
    202
    Answers
    0


    I have no idea. Maybe I should find out.
  19. Registered User
    CASENATOR63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Answers
    0


    was 455@280

    Now 425@270

    Lost abit but gettin it back, oh yeah and im 6'1''
  20. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,208
    Answers
    0


    well heres a quote from what i did in july..... but before that it was 275X2 @170

    and this was at 190... im sure i can do more with a warm up and 1rm lift... prob 315-330..... but not right now shoulders F'ed as well as my sternum...

    07-12-2007, 11:23 PM

    now i havnt even tried to 1RM on flat bench for a long while BUT none the less i just made a personal record tonight with flat bench!!!!!

    this is how it went down....

    build up to 1RM flat bench
    135 x10 (warm up)
    225 x2
    245 x1
    275 x1
    295 x1

    my previous 1RM was 275 but that was done a while ago before i switched over to all DB's for my flat and incline AND decline bench.... pretty damn awesome that it was still done on a post cycle therapy
  21. Registered User
    Hurleyboy05's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,755
    Answers
    0


    *whimpers* 210x2 @ 5'8" 165lbs... I'm a weenie
  22. Registered User
    Pac4Prez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18
    Answers
    0


    Lets See.. Oh Yeah 265 @ 194
  23. Registered User
    amicold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    192
    Answers
    0


    Not to keep an old thread resurrected, but...

    225 @ 135 pounds, I'm 5'5.
  24. Registered User
    drivehard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    427
    Answers
    0


    Best ever was last summer
    435 @ 225 touch and go

    Now I'm low 400's but only weighing between 195 and 200.

    Current flat bench workout:

    135 x 20
    225 x 12
    305 x 10
    325 x 8
    345 x 6
    365 x 4
    385 x 2 (hardly ever get both)
    405 x 1 (only get once in a blue moon)

    then 225 to failure three sets (usually 20 to 25 reps) alternated with heavy wide grip lat pull downs

    Yes, I am gifted I guess...of course Ive been at this for 13+ years and am 28 years old.

    5'10" if anybody cares.
  25. Registered User
    amt4331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19
    Answers
    0


    295@181lbs
  26. Registered User
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,081
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    *Waves to meowmeow


    I'm 6'6, so yeah... no comment about my max.
    Ok, so 335 @ a height of 6'6. And this is my pouring my soul into the rep. Bodyweight currently: 240.
  27. Board Supporter
    kjkriston's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,165
    Answers
    0


    445 @ 218....best ever on a cycle of EPI @ 50mg/day and I am 5'11"
  28. Registered User
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Answers
    0


    265 @ 178lbs

    i'm 5'9"
    Last edited by ozarkaBRAND; 02-10-2008 at 01:27 AM.
  29. Registered User
    ohiostate2827's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    785
    Answers
    0


    310@ 170
  30. Registered User
    grila jujitsu's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,572
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse21 View Post
    305 @ 175....im weak
    i hate you ! i can only rep 225 on a good day!
  31. Registered User
    king1033's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    983
    Answers
    0


    i go with dumbells
    i inclined 80'sx10 and flat 120'sx10
    bodyweight fluxing at 185-190 i would like to hit a 315 bench at 200lbs but im guessing to accomplish that i need to be 200lbs shredded!
  32. Board Supporter
    kjkriston's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,165
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by king1033 View Post
    i go with dumbells
    i inclined 80'sx10 and flat 120'sx10
    bodyweight fluxing at 185-190 i would like to hit a 315 bench at 200lbs but im guessing to accomplish that i need to be 200lbs shredded!
    315 @ 200lbs....?sounds like you need to go heavier. Thats what has always worked for me. When I was totally natural I was lifting 355 @ 203. I was probably around 10% BF. But I was doin 6-8 reps 5 sets on flat.
  33. Registered User
    king1033's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    983
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kjkriston View Post
    315 @ 200lbs....?sounds like you need to go heavier. Thats what has always worked for me. When I was totally natural I was lifting 355 @ 203. I was probably around 10% BF. But I was doin 6-8 reps 5 sets on flat.
    hopfully from here on out every solid lb of muscle i gain hopefully can put 10lbs on my bench, cause bench has always been a weird subject for me you got those guys who dont look fit at all and are repping 225 then those skinny little dudes that can put up 225 as to where im working my ass off and can barley get 250 up, now i know for me chest has always been weakest part for instances i can squat in the 400's. i know people that put up the 225 and can barley squat 225 do i just would like to keep my bench at least 100-200lbs less than my squat to kinda give a nice proportion thats always been somthing i try to follow therefor i do chest 2wice a week and keep legs at once a week til my chest catchs up i think when i fill in my upper chest a lot more my bench will go way up cause my lower chest is nice but im definatly missing upper. slow and steady wins the race
  34. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,208
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by king1033 View Post
    i go with dumbells
    i inclined 80'sx10 and flat 120'sx10
    bodyweight fluxing at 185-190 i would like to hit a 315 bench at 200lbs but im guessing to accomplish that i need to be 200lbs shredded!
    im very suprised with this actually.. i WAS able to get up the 110 DBS for 10 at my heaviest set on flat but i put up to 295 after building up to it (hit 135 for 10, 225x2, 245, 275, 295)fairly easily... im almost certain i could have put up 315 or more with just a warm up and then lift. i also flucuate from 180-190.... pretty sure when im 2 bills ill be putting up at least 350... maybe more depending on my shoulders.

    oh and i rep 230 on squats but not cause thats the heaviest my muscles allow... thats the heaviest my knees allow.
  35. Registered User
    boxmeman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,977
    Answers
    0


    max 265-270 weighing 157

    I'll be sure to reacch 300 this summer when i bulk!!
  36. Registered User
    king1033's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    983
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    im very suprised with this actually.. i WAS able to get up the 110 DBS for 10 at my heaviest set on flat but i put up to 295 after building up to it (hit 135 for 10, 225x2, 245, 275, 295)fairly easily... im almost certain i could have put up 315 or more with just a warm up and then lift. i also flucuate from 180-190.... pretty sure when im 2 bills ill be putting up at least 350... maybe more depending on my shoulders.

    oh and i rep 230 on squats but not cause thats the heaviest my muscles allow... thats the heaviest my knees allow.
    well when i hit chest ill see how much i bench cause i havent done so in a long time, also i have always used dumbells for such a long time i believe my muscles grew using that excersize and the BB bench utilizes different muscles so i guess its back to bench but ill stick with cable flys and incline db and inlcine db flys
  37. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,208
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by king1033 View Post
    well when i hit chest ill see how much i bench cause i havent done so in a long time, also i have always used dumbells for such a long time i believe my muscles grew using that excersize and the BB bench utilizes different muscles so i guess its back to bench but ill stick with cable flys and incline db and inlcine db flys
    ya i was in the exact same boat as you, i had switched over to all DB's cause i got much greater results with them... but i platued out at the 110's so thats why i switched back over to bench for flat (still did incline DB's) to work on my max and overall strength... thats why i had to work up to 295 cause i had no clue where my max would be.
  38. Registered User
    packers1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    53
    Answers
    0


    375 but i am a fat azz offensive lineman type.
  39. Registered User
    ongoingsaga's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    14
    Answers
    0


    Last summer I got 315 x3. I was 225lbs and about 14% bf.
    But I was a dumbass and didn't warm up enough. Right shoulder hurt like sh*t for 6 months.
    WON'T DO THAT AGAIN !!!

    Now I'm doing higher reps with 225-265.

    Not bad for 43 years old considering 2 years ago, I was a 250 lb. 30% bf tub o' lard who MIGHT have been able to get 225 x1.
  40. Registered User
    teribleturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    133
    Answers
    0


    Never tried maxing out really, but I usually work with 185lbs 8 reps 3 sets, weigh about 170ish stand 5'7. I have done 225lbs 5 times. Doesnt seem very strong for my weight. But deadlifts and squats are another story I seem to outshine most of the heavy bench press guys at my gym doing those
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. how much can you grow?
    By makingwaves in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
  3. How much can you absorb in one meal?
    By SoCo4Fun in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 12:51 AM
  4. How much can you bench??:)
    By BigVrunga in forum General Chat
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 07:13 PM
  5. How much can you inject at one site?
    By goldenchild777 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in