How much can you bench?

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

1. I don't powerlift at all, but I can do 215x8 reps. Can I calculate a max from that? Probably not. I weigh 182 pounds at the moment.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    I don't powerlift at all, but I can do 215x8 reps. Can I calculate a max from that? Probably not. I weigh 182 pounds at the moment.
    Your quoted 1 rep max would be 267x1
    •   

3. Been several years since I've done flat bench. All I've been doing since is incline.
    incline: 225lbs x 12 reps @ 200lbs

Just weighed myself today, and I'm down to 191lbs. I can still lift 225 incline for reps (but I don't touch my chest anymore - afraid for shoulders at that weight).

Never attempted a max with inclines.

Best I ever did flat was 365lbs x 1 @ 210lbs

4. Quote Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post
    Your quoted 1 rep max would be 267x1
    Thanks. I would have guessed about 260. How did you figure that out?

5. bb.com 1 rep max calculator

6. I last 1 rep maxed in March. I did 425 but I was on and at ~250lbs which I think sucks!

BTW I'm 6'2"

Do us older guys get any slack for age?

7. Height: 6'6

Bench: Sucky

Deadlift: Good

8. No the younger guys get slack because we havent been around that much. Your 15 years ahead, so you should be 15times the strength!

9. I got 315 almost twice@178

10. Height: 6-0 if you round off the 3/4 of an inch
    Weight: 255
    Bench: 405 x 3. I did 425 but I weighed 290 when I did that. I did this 6-8 months ago but I stick with dumbell presses since I get better workouts with that.

However, max bench is not the best indicator of a big & ripped chest. This dude hits 90 pound dumbells incline, 110 flat and his pecs make me jealous.
    •   

11. Yeah for good shape in the pecs its not about weight

12. Quote Originally Posted by hman85 View Post
    Yeah for good shape in the pecs its not about weight
    Exactly, it's quality that counts, not quantity

13. Ya but when you have both, your just that much better

14. Quote Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post
    Ya but when you have both, your just that much better
    as long as you have proper form

15. Quote Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post
    Ya but when you have both, your just that much better
    Definitely. I just don't want to see people completely focusing on strength. When this is the focus then TUT and proper techniques are thrown out the window. This usually happens with newbies who want to impress everyone and their momma at the gym . . . I was one of those guys when I was 17-20

16. In my last dream, I benched a little over 500lbs.... But that didn't count..... It was only a dream!

17. We might as well be asking everyone what their penis size is. Only the gifted, or wild exaggerators are gonna post on this one.

18. Quote Originally Posted by fatsuperman View Post
    We might as well be asking everyone what their penis size is. Only the gifted, or wild exaggerators are gonna post on this one.
    LOL, when someone says they have a 12 incher, I'm gonna assume they mean 12 centimeters

19. Quote Originally Posted by fatsuperman View Post
    We might as well be asking everyone what their penis size is. Only the gifted, or wild exaggerators are gonna post on this one.
    I posted honestly. I take your post to mean that you are ashamed of your bench press weight. Oh well. I won't hold it against you.

20. Last time I maxed flat bench was winter of 05' and that was 385 @ 190~195ish lbs,I dont really remember. I havent maxed since then or done much with barbells, alot of DB.

Spring 07' on incline bench I did 365 for 1 rep @ 181lbs
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

21. It's very interesting....All these guys at 180-190 doing 375 lbs...I don't know many people that even have a 315. BTW, I did 315x1 at 187. Now I do like 265. Man enough to admit it.

22. It's the internet man...Comes with the territory but you get the same thing in person as well. Everyone is a combat veteran who has killed a platoon of people. they all have fought MMA, have a black belt in ten different disciplines and have been shot, stabbed and still kicked ass.

Take it for what it is and roll with it

23. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    It's the internet man...Comes with the territory but you get the same thing in person as well. Everyone is a combat veteran who has killed a platoon of people. they all have fought MMA, have a black belt in ten different disciplines and have been shot, stabbed and still kicked ass.

Take it for what it is and roll with it
    lol you're right. the only one people fool when they give fake stats its them self. Like when you get a new training part ner and you go to drink water and get back and he said he did his 10 reps already and you saw that he only did like 6. He only fools him self . i dont gain or losse anything if he does more or less reps.

24. for the record i bench 390 x2.

25. I can bench pi. Think about that!

26. hmm Joe Mazza America's best bench presser pound for pound at 165lbs he got just over 400lbs. and 615lbs at 165lbs with bench shirt. Like what was said above, take whatever numbers people are throwing around with a grain of salt. Once you get over 1.5x your body weight you typically need a lot of exercise background and/or supplemention, a great diet, experienced / certified lifting partners / coaches(Unless you are a rare freak of nature).

Not a day goes by where I do not see horrible techniques being preformed in the weight room as well. I have guys come up to me and say they benched "330 lbs." when I just saw them lower the weight 1 and 1/2 inches down and press that whole 1 and 1/2 inches back up or else the more typical bounce technique you see in lots of people lifting weight that is too heavy for them. Some of these techniques can be useful in improving your maximal output, but should not be considered a maxout by any means (ie. overloaded half reps to get through a sticking point in a certain point of your range of motion).

That being said a maximal lift is a controlled lift brought down to touch chest with a short pause at chest 2-3 seconds then a press of the weight to full lockout. No BS bouncing weight half way up or only bringing weight down half way. A nice clean, raw press is the only way to accurately judge your maximal potiental.

I have no idea where my maximal is now, but I currently can do 225lbs x 12 @ 150lbs.

I have pressed 325lbs @ about 170lbs before. My goal has been and may always being getting 2x my body weight with a raw flat bench press.

about 5'8 , wide frame, clean diet (but high cal intake lately) , ~8% body fat, mid-20s, 8 years lifting experience, degree in Exercise Science (Main professor was Professional Bodybuilder), Supplements: Essential fats, Multi-Vitamin, Anabolic Pump, TNA, Shock Therapy preworkout with added Aminos, just started RPM preworkout as well and love it.

27. That's why I say just ignore what people say. If someone benches 330 pounds and only lowers it by 2 inches how does it effect you and your accomplishments? I've seen people that do nothing but curls and they, to my standard, are screwed up but they are in the gym and having a good time and more often than not, look great. to each their own if they want to say they barbell curl 225 standing.

28. i can only do 5 @ 230 but wait for it..............i weigh 235

going down to touch my chest at least. Plenty of guys at my gym go higher but wouldn't get any closer then 6 or 7 inches or so to their chest. i dont think that really counts.

29. Wait wait, but what about Power Factor trainees!!! They only lower that sht 3 inches!!!

30. 5'11 188lbs
    265lbs, i rarely do flat bench, I just work db's most of the time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. how much can you grow?
    By makingwaves in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-25-2015, 06:14 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
  3. How much can you absorb in one meal?
    By SoCo4Fun in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 02:51 AM
  4. How much can you bench??:)