Football Anyone?

TheLaw

TheLaw

Awards
Here is my little situation.....

In about a month (may 26th) my friends and I are going to be in a little flag football tournament. Now I know all the people and teams playing in it as its been going on for about 4 years now. It is a 5v5 with one ineligable lineman(center). My problem is this will be me.

What sucks is that the rusher gets a 5 yard start infront of me so I am going to be taking a beating. The reason I brought up knowing everyone who plays is because the biggest person Ill be up against is around 6'2, 6'3, and about 250lbs. While that sounds big, he is grossly fat and not strong (ive held him at bay before for longer than he appreciated haha), but now they changed it to giving that 5 yards, when he hits me, that is going to be a lot of weight moving fairly fast. What sucks is that I dont want to bulk up anymore because I will also be blocking some 5'7 - 5'10 kids who weigh like 150lbs and are quick as a mother.

Now, I am not small, Im 5'8, ~198lbs, and I am relatively fast(compared to who I am playing against). My problem is I never played football in highschool or anything (Lets just say I wasnt the slimmest kid back then and I was in no way, shape, or form strong. I try not to think about those days haha).

Anyways, I digress. What my question really is: what are some excercises you would recommend for building up my strength for blocking? Im guessing squats and/or deadlifts would be key, but what else would you recommend? I need to be strong, but also stay somewhat agile for those little kids.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help, I will need it.

5luke2

Awards
block him with angles only. never head up so either make him go left or right that way your QB will alwasy be able to roll out one way and you will still be inbetween him and the guy pass rushing.

also keep your arms in close to your body untill he is close enough for you to punch him that way you will get more explosiveness out of your movements.

when you fire your hands make sure to roll your hips and the same time, that way your bringing your entire body with you to block

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Power Cleans
Squats/Goodmornings
Deads
Closer grip Incline presses

Get a good base and get those hips quick and strong.

F=MxA

TheLaw

TheLaw

Awards
Alright thanks, We have our first "team" practice this saturday so Ill definately be trying all that out. Question though: when you say never head up, is that to keep my body lower and thus a better center of gravity? Just wondering...

And jason thanks I completely forgot about cleans... been out of the game for too long haha.

I should have thought about posting this right when I was told about the tourney (the actual date changes year to year), it would have at least given me a little more time to train, but oh well. Anyways, thanks for your help, if you think of anything else let me know.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Question though: when you say never head up, is that to keep my body lower and thus a better center of gravity? Just wondering...
Never head up as in straight on. He's bigger than you catch him from the side and his balance is gonna go.

TheLaw

TheLaw

Awards
Ok. Thats what my brother said, but I just wanted to make sure. I cant just let him be right without asking haha. Plus, now that I look at it, what I asked doesnt quite make as much sense

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
Football is all about leverage, if he has no football knowledge he will probably run up to you with his body straight up. Get in a nice athletic stance, weight even on both of your feet, butt down just a bit, and when he comes at you step into him and make contact with him, roll your hips and pop your arms right into his chest.(I really feel you could take him head on if you know what your doing). Do not just stand there and let him make the contact, 50+lbs with a 5 yard head start, he will knock you on your but if you try to catch him coming at you, step into him. Also keep your feet moving, short quick steps!!! Dont keep your feet still thinking your are planting yourself to the ground so he can't move you, this is an easy way for him to tip you over on your back aka pancake you. I have a feeling he will just try to run you over with his lack of speed and his weight advantage. Good luck