Am I over training?
- 04-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Am I over training?
Hey guys id like you to take a look at my workout split/routine. Is this too much?
Fri-light chest and shoulders
Sun-cardio/off day (if i feel like going or not)
as far as the sets and reps
mon- flat bench- 3-4 sets 5-8 reps
db flyes 3 sets
pec dec machine 3 sets
decline bench 3-4 sets
flat db press
dips 3 sets
front and side db raises 3 sets of each
wed- back, bi's, tri's
4 sets standing ez curl
3 sets standing db curl
3 sets lat pulldown
3 sets T-bar rows
3 sets reverse ez bar curl(forearm)
3 sets shrugs
Fri basically same lifts just with lighter weight
Sat- i like to do biceps a little on sat also as im i feel they are lagging in comparison to my tri's/shoulders.
it seems like a lot of sets to do but up until now i have been making ok gains. Im open for opinions though so throw em out there!
- 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
You should be able to feel you're overtraining, then when you do, lower the set total down some.
- 04-24-2007, 10:56 AM
The barage of things I'm about to say is a lot like Nyquil: It might be tough to swallow, but you'll feel a lot better once you did. Here goes:
1) No Legs day?
2) You're overtraining your chest and shoulders if you're training high volume twice per week.
3) Friday is a "lighter day"? Sorry, but if I know I'm gonna half-ass it at the gym that day, I simply don't go.
4) You're doing 10 sets of biceps exercises, and 6 sets of back exercises (which also stimulate the biceps), and then you feel the need to train biceps Saturday morning? You're doing more to your biceps than I do when I'm on a steroids cycle.
5) There are two exercises which I feel must be in every bodybuilding routine (in some form or another): Deadlifts and Squats. You're getup is lacking both of these.
6) Lateral raises a la carte WILL NOT give you the shoulders you want. I strongly suggest some more compound motions such as some form of shoulder press and upright rows (practicing proper form).
7) You don't have any triceps exercises listed on Back/bi's/tri's day.
8) IMO you use too many isolation moves, and not enough compound exercises.
With all this being said, I would recommend changing you're split to something like this: M=Chest/Tri's , W=Back/Bi's, F=Legs/Delts. Here's an example of some sh*t you can do. Try starting out a this lower volume, and if you feel you can increase volume, have at it.
Incline bench (dumbbells or barbell): 3 sets
Weighted dips or Decline Bench: 3 sets
Flyes or Pec Deck: 3 sets
Triceps Cable Pushdown (with elbows flared): 3 sets
Skull Crushers: 3 sets
Deadlift: 3 sets
T-Bar Row or barbell row: 3 sets
Lat-Pulldown: 3 sets
Barbell Curls: 3 sets
Seated Hammer Curls: 3 sets
Squats: 3 sets
Stiff-legged Deadlift: 3 sets
Lunges: 3 sets
Shoulder Press: 3 sets
Upright Row: 3 sets
Side Laterals: 3 sets
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I've never used the hex bar.
If you deadlifts on back days, I would recommend the straight bar, as the hex bar will work more of your legs.
04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
just an update here. Since my last post ive been knocked down the bicep workouts to 3 exercises as well as for the chest. I was actually stronger today than i have been, i think because of 2 things. 1. im not overtraining like i was before (common sense) and 2. I took yesterday off which i normally dont do.
04-27-2007, 04:08 PM
04-27-2007, 04:32 PM
04-27-2007, 04:36 PM
04-27-2007, 04:39 PM
04-27-2007, 04:58 PM
04-27-2007, 05:01 PM
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
yeah i did squats today. 135 warmup x10, 225x8 276x6 315x4...not bad considering i havent done them for a while. Like i said when i was in hs i did squats, deads and cleans every week and my total body strength was higher than now so im looking forward to getting back into it.
04-27-2007, 05:05 PM
04-27-2007, 09:24 PM
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Squats... insanely important. Don't guess on formwork... look it up.. unless you want a hurniated disc. As all the big boys say- what seperates the men from the boys is the squat cage.
Similar Forum Threads
- By jceabuca in forum Training ForumReplies: 13Last Post: 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
- By killamac27 in forum Training ForumReplies: 18Last Post: 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
- By hellohendo in forum Training ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 08-05-2007, 06:23 PM
- By Zero Tolerance in forum Training ForumReplies: 18Last Post: 04-10-2006, 09:27 PM
- By Unbreakable in forum Training ForumReplies: 9Last Post: 01-16-2003, 12:02 AM