Running/Jogging with a Rucksack

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.73%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Running/Jogging with a Rucksack

I'm striving to be a USMC Officer, off to OCS Juniors this summer (less than two months away). Really struggling with my three mile run time, and becoming worried. Around the 21 minute mark, depending on the day.

I'm beginning to start doing more sprints(thank goodness it's getting warmer out), but I'm interested in throwing in another change in the program...

Would running in a rucksack be a good idea? I just borrowed an Army spec ruck from my buddy, which weighs around 50-60 pounds when fully packed. I was considering jogging two miles or so once or twice a week in it. Would start in running shoes, and move into boots after I'm comfortable with the ruck going four miles.

Would you say this would be beneficial to improve run times? Building leg strength/endurance for the three mile? I know Recon training where you run in a rucksack, but I'm not nearly in that good of shape. Would going backwards be counterproductive?

Thanks

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.59%

i think it would help build more endurance, u could try power walking
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Honestly, don't run in your boots too often as this will actually be counterproductive. Making yourself more prone to injury will do little to meet your goals. Ruck Sack runs are fine to switch things up, but honestly, I'd recommend just increasing the distance that you run. If you can routinely run 5-7 miles, then three will seem alot less to your body and you should be able to sprint that last mile allowing you to gain a far better time.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.22%

Quote Originally Posted by slow-mun View Post
    If you can routinely run 5-7 miles, then three will seem alot less to your body and you should be able to sprint that last mile allowing you to gain a far better time.
    I agree with slow-mun. I was an Army officer for four years as a combat engineer in an airborne unit. I have done my share on running and rucking. Just increase the distance you are running and the 3 miles will not seem hard at all. In the army, the PT test consisted of a two mile run and all we did in my unit was run no less than 4 miles at least two or three times a week. If you run with a ruck you will increase your chances of lower back, knee, and ankle injuries. If you want to increase strength in your legs, do lunges up and down a football field 4 times and then run stadium stairs. Since you are not use to rucking, I would not introduce it into your routine. Just increase the distance your are running for your training.

Good Luck!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

HD hit a good point. The increased stress on your knees could be bad in the long run. With running, your foot hits the ground with 2.5 times your bodyweight, add weight and you increase that stress.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.52%

yeah don't run in boots, especially if you are trying to get into OCS, its so competitive an injury beforehand will not be good, get on the governments payroll first so if you DO get hurt, then its on them. save the boot runs for OCS, but definately walk around a lot in them, maybe incorporate your ruck into walking in the boots. I agree with increasing the distance of your runs, but maybe also add a day a week of wind sprints followed by a shorter jog.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.73%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thanks for the replies. Scrapped the idea - overwhelming counterproductive reasons to even experiment with it. Longer runs and more sprints it is! Thanks again.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Would running in a rucksack be a good idea? I just borrowed an Army spec ruck from my buddy, which weighs around 50-60 pounds when fully packed. I was considering jogging two miles or so once or twice a week in it. Would start in running shoes, and move into boots after I'm comfortable with the ruck going four miles.
    I actually do this for fun. I have a huge backpack that can hold about about the same weight as your rucksack. I live not far from a Costco. So I go there fill it to the brim with supplies and walk home. 50-60lbs doesn't sound too heavy but when its on your back and your walking it does wear ya down I do it in "combat style" boots. I just walk at a fast pace but I could see it hurting my knees if I tried to run with it often...
  9. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.98%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Another thing (from experience): even if your pack comes equipped with a good hip belt (Military distributed, I highly doubt it even has one) you're gonna get some major chaffing on your lower back from it rubbing against you as it bounces up and down.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.83%

well good luck you shouldnt have a problem if you never say quit. i am currently serving in the army's infantry and heading to special forces selection in september

just like they said increase the distance your running, but also do non impact cardio like an eliptical a couple times a week or you might end up really injuring yourself. the best way to biuld cardio strength is to keep your heartrate at the optimum level for a lengthy period of time, that level being 180 bpm minus your age. so if your 25 155bpm is best for you, and you need to keep it there for atleast 23 minutes a day going over the optimal bpm does not benefit you any more then 155 would. stretch stretch stretch it is proven to increase run times, also after doing your workout do cool down for about 6 minutes to keep the blood flowing to the worked muscles so you can get rid of the lactic acid biuld up. buy a heart rate monitor so you can monitor your bpm while not at the gym, and road marching. running w/ ruck is okay but will destroy your knees dont do it often you really just want to walk at a rate of 15 min per mile it might not sound fast but do it for 12 to 18 miles and you will see its no joke. i would not start with more than 40lb in the ruck until you really get used to, give it a month then up to 50 lb. sorry its a long read but i hope it helps
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.83%

also if you dont know how to land navigate with map and compass learn how you should join a local orienteering club, and get a book. practice plotting 8 digit grids on a map, and learn how to terrain associate. have fun its awesome, oh yeah do it at night without a light also

Similar Forum Threads

1. Running/Jogging with a Rucksack
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
  2. Running 4ad with SD
    By DuiLee in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
  3. Should i run SD with S1+ for the summer?
    By Polish_Oak in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
  4. Running IGF with GH
    By FullyBuilt in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:03 PM