Star Hydrated or cortisol levels will be though the roof!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Q: I know that only a small amount of dehydration can impair aerobic capacity but I wanted to know if dehydration affects your performance when lifting weights?

A: Very few studies have directly examined the impact of dehydration on weightlifting performance. However, there is one study that maybe particularly relevant to us. This study utilized seven young strong males (all of whom had at least 4 years weightlifting experience), to assess the effects of dehydration on performance and hormone release. The following conditions were assessed; a control (rest) day, a hydrated training day and a dehydrated training day.

Dehydration was induced by limiting the subject’s fluid and food intake and having them sweat the night before testing. Dehydration was defined as a reduction in body weight of 3%.

The participants training various muscle groups and results revealed surprisingly little difference in workout performance between dehydrated and hydrated days. However, the most interesting finding from this research was that training in a dehydrated state made the participants cortisol levels go through the roof.

High cortisol levels in the blood can impede the transport of nutrients into muscle and promote excessive catabolism (breakdown) of muscle tissue. The scientists aren’t sure why the subject’s showed such high cortisol levels in response to dehydration but these results send a clear message to strength athletes.

Excessive cortisol production is the quickest route to overtraining and poor results, so strength training in a dehydrated state must be avoided. Commence every workout properly hydrated.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'll save Workin some time and take care of this one. :D

If you're looking for a great way to stay hydrated and keep those cortisol levels down, look no further. Poseidon

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established

If you're looking for a great way to stay hydrated and keep those cortisol levels down, look no further. Poseidon
LOL! Thanks rpen ;)

Workin

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established

:hammer: :hammer: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

CROWLER