can someone explain the 5 x 5 training method to me?

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
ive been hearing guys say they are using this method but i dont know much about it.

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Its for strength, your using the same amount of volume, so instead of doing 2-3 sets of 10, you do 5 sets of 5.

Last edited:
spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Its for strength, your using the same amount of volume, so instead of doing 2-3 sets of 10, you do 5 sets of 5.
Yeah, if your looking for mass its not so good. Great for strength though IMO

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, if your looking for mass its not so good. Great for strength though IMO
REALLY? I find that it packs mass on QUICKLY for me.... as a result strength also shoots through the roof.

But guess everyone is different.

Adams

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
Ditto.
My quads GREW on this program and after just 5 weeks.
Lats are alot bigger also.
My research on it showed it to add mass, not just strength, to folks, that's why I chose it. I was very happt with it.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
It's relatively low intensity/high frequency. Ideally best for strength gains, but a lot of guys will get bigger due to periodization; it's a new routine for most.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
It's relatively low intensity/high frequency. Ideally best for strength gains, but a lot of guys will get bigger due to periodization; it's a new routine for most.
well said

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
REALLY? I find that it packs mass on QUICKLY for me.... as a result strength also shoots through the roof.

But guess everyone is different.

Adams
Same here..... I do 5x5 for 8 weeks (Mostly free weights) Take a week off. Then hit the universal/free weights 3x8 for the next 8 weeks.... Then back to the 5x5.

P

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
Do you use enough weight to get the 5 reps for 5 sets? I usually pyramid up. Enough weight for 12 reps, then 8-6-5. So I would use the same weight for all 5 sets?

S

satyricon

Awards
5x5

as recomended by Bill Starr(strength coach and author) the 5x5 program should go like this day1 heavy(1warmup set of 5 then add wt for 5 more reps add more wt 5 more reps add wt for a max set of 5 then back off set 5 reps. day 2 medium(work up to 75-80% of 5 rep max) day 2 light(5 sets 5 reps same wt keep it fairly light. I found that if you switch it up like day1 heavy squats med bench light power cleans. day2 med squats light bench heavy power cleans. day3 light squats med power cleans heavy bench you get better recovery. the 5x5 program works best for the big exercises squat deadlift cleans presses etc. and usually you want to change routines after about 6 wks or so.I will go 2-3 weeks of high rep stuff then 5x5 for a 5-6 wks then triples dubs and max singles for 2-3 weeks then a nice week off and start over. if you eat alot you will get big if not you will still get good strength gains which will help you gain size later.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
I really like this routine for strength, I usually cut for 6 weeks then use 5x5 for 6weeks to get my strength up then go to HST for 6-8 weeks for mass.
5x5 can be a bit rough on the joints though, and its best to use as many compound lifts as possible.

The most common reason people fail on this routine is they try to lift to much weight and cant make the 5 sets, or get bored because they are only doing 5 reps at the beginning sets and try to add more reps and cant finish the 5th set. Establishing the proper weight is key when using this routine.