Plateaus

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Just an idea for discussion here.

I see it written all the time about changing up routines every 3 weeks, 6 weeks, or whatever. But I kind of think plateaus can be used to your advantage. These are the perfect times to change up other variables in your life, like diet or supplements.

Whenenver you start doing new exercises you get stronger as your body adapts to the new stuff, so if your doing this too often AND adding in supplements here and there or changing up your diet it can be hard to know what's working. Are you getting stronger from the new exercises or from the supplements?

By keeping your program the same you take out one of the variables as you change up other ones. I think you can still get stronger after hitting a plateau by changing up other things, thereby letting you know if that new supplement is working and how well it's working.

Am I way off base with this??

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think its even better if you can predict when your about to plateau and change it before hand, you should see a slight decrease in gains beforehand. I dont think theres a need to change supps, unless the supps require cycling then its probly best to use it before you suspect a plateau coming on.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking more about somebody wanting to add in a new supplement, which people do all the time as new things come out. Wait until you've hit a plateau on your program to add it in.

Thanks for the reply too. I thought nobody liked me!!!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, I see what you are saying. As opposed to using a supp., to immediately take you above (whether by actual conduct or by placebo) you are saying to only add it in once you have actually reached a plateau, correct?

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
No, I see what you are saying. As opposed to using a supp., to immediately take you above (whether by actual conduct or by placebo) you are saying to only add it in once you have actually reached a plateau, correct?
That's it. Would be the best way to tell if it's doing anything for you...in my opinion that is.

yoos

Awards
Hey, perfect timing for me reading this... I kind of feel I'm at a plateau right now! I JUST started to take creatine yesterday for the first time ever... We'll see how that goes for a couple weeks, then I will try to add more BCAA's and see...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
From a statistical standpoint (i.e. collecting data to see how you would react to a supplement for future use). This is a great idea; however, from the standpoint of "I just wanna get my ass in better shape" training periodization would also be beneficial.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
From a statistical standpoint (i.e. collecting data to see how you would react to a supplement for future use). This is a great idea; however, from the standpoint of "I just wanna get my ass in better shape" training periodization would also be beneficial.

I hear what you're saying. Even with periodization, you're generally doing the same exercises though, just altering volume and intensity the most (among other things). I mean more for people jumping from periodization, to HIT, to 5x5, to whatever they read in Muscle and Fitness last month.

Let us know how it goes yoos. The creatine is almost a given being your first time taking it. You'll have fun!

I'd give this a try myself, just not in a good place to do it. I'm competing in strongman again. Comps are usually every 6-8 weeks with different events for each one. So my training is changing that often weather I need/want it or not.