tricep lateral head help/question

dead_i_katid

dead_i_katid

Awards
all i do for my triceps lately has been sitting dumbell behind head extensions and skull crushers. i am worrying that i am not working all the tricep muscles and that these exercises could both target the same part of the tricep (the back part).

my question is do any of these workouts target the lateral head?

i used to target it with pulldowns from the maching but the weight is def. not heavy enough anymore.

I need a tricep exercise which i can do a lot of weight that directly targets the lateral head.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Long head of the triceps
Movements that require you to bring your arms away from your sides.
1. Skull crushers
2. Seated dumbbell triceps extensions (Delavier, 2006, p. 24).
2. To stress the long head to a greater degree on the skull crusher, lower the bar behind your head (Delavier, 2006, p. 21).

Lateral head of the triceps

1. Pronated grip on straight bar press-down
2. Rope press-downs (Delavier, 2006, p. 18).
3. Overhand grip when performing triceps extensions (Delavier, 2006, p. 24). Arnt they performed with an overhand grip anyway?

Medial head of the triceps

1. Reverse grip on straight bar press-down
This confuses me :(

Just do one arm pressdowns

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
all i do for my triceps lately has been sitting dumbell behind head extensions and skull crushers. i am worrying that i am not working all the tricep muscles and that these exercises could both target the same part of the tricep (the back part).

my question is do any of these workouts target the lateral head?

i used to target it with pulldowns from the maching but the weight is def. not heavy enough anymore.

I need a tricep exercise which i can do a lot of weight that directly targets the lateral head.
The following is derived from MRI scans of triceps taken during a weight-lifting session.

Tables of Tricep exercises:
(NOTE: Two X denote heavy muscle use; one X denotes moderate muscle involvement.
No X is indicated for muscles that show no use during exercise.):

dead_i_katid

dead_i_katid

Awards
did heavy hass dips today, finally a tricep burn

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really get the burn from decline close-grip bench press. If you bring the bar to your neck, you'll get a superior ROM than with a flat cgbp.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Careful with weighted dips. You can cause more injury than good if you have a burnout and tear your shoulder up.