I would like a theory on workout partners.

dmix

Awards
Seriously. How do you guys find someone of a like mind, schedule, strength level, and personality to work out with?

I know that having a great partner is invaluable for intensity, adherence to a schedule, form spotting, etc. But it's hard to do! Everyone is busy, or runs a different training program, or is far ahead/behind in strength and so you spend half the time unracking plates.

How did you guys find a workout partner?

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lol- find someone there that you see every time when your at the gym.
If they are a bit above you in the strength department, then thats not a bad thing. Nothing will get you to new levels faster then tring to get on par with your partner... a little friendly competition...

Oh,.. and your not choosing a soal mate either. If your there to work out, then while personality n such should matter AS MUCH as if you were choosing a friend or a girl ya know.

Plus... if you can find someone who your stronger then, perhaps taking a little time to show them the finer details will pay off in that oyu'll gain a little good karma and end up with somone you ca nworkout with, as well as helping someone else evolve

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: I totally agree with what Flossy said. I'd like to add, however, it's also important to find someone with your same level of dedication who you can count on to always show up and want to be there.

dmix

Awards
I think it's just tough at college - since most of the people who are serious about lifting play sports, and sports teams have their own set training schedules. :/

Ah well. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the input, guys.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's just tough at college - since most of the people who are serious about lifting play sports, and sports teams have their own set training schedules. :/

Ah well. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the input, guys.
I train at a college gym too. People see the results I've gotten over the years and want to train with me. I'm sure one of your friends is looking into getting into better shape, but might not be as 'in tune' with training. I guarantee there's at least one person you know who wants to get in better shape, but doesn't have enough motivation/knowledge to hit the weights. If you invite them to come lift with you, they'll come for at least one session. If you show them a good workout, they'll probably come back.

My training partner generally lifts 100lbs less than me. It doesn't take too much time to take a 45 plate or so off each side of the bar. In fact, it takes only a second or two to re-reack the weights. A lot of times I have to teach him new exercises because he's never heard of them before. Sometimes I'll even have to adjust the workouts to gear them towards fixing a couple of his weaknesses. I guess it really all just boils down to compromise.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure you can call one of the 1-900 numbers.

SXULB52

Awards
I would rather prefer to clone myself :icon_lol: .

But on a serious note, it is good to find someone who has similar goals, the same work ethic, and workout pace as you. I also feel it is important to find someone with different strengths than you, so that way to can both collaberate on workouts and use each other's strengths and knowledge to benefit each other.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
=thesinner
A lot of times I have to teach him new exercises because he's never heard of them before. Sometimes I'll even have to adjust the workouts to gear them towards fixing a couple of his weaknesses. I guess it really all just boils down to compromise.
Wow a free trainer :)
I worked out with someone once. Was great for Benching (spot) but he would always call at the LAST min and say he couldn't come for various reasons. So I kind of gave up after a while and did my own thing. I do miss having a spot and it kinda of made it more fun (on the days he would show up)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Approach it like a business relationship. That way you'll naturally do all the things Flossy said which was great advice. Training with friends, or letting training partners become friends is, in my opinion, a bad idea. I had to ditch my last training partner/sort of friend because I got tired of him only doing partial rep bench presses and sermonizing about "The Lord.' The latter didn't used to be a problem, he was getting too heavy on it towards the end. Then he'd partial partial rep (I'm talking ROM of 1-2 inches) 295 for 7 reps and walk around for ten minutes afterward talking about Pumping Iron and how evil steroids were. I wanted to pop his head like a zit, so I made up some perpetual schedule conflict and stopped going.

Keep it professional. Keep it goal oriented. Find someone agreeable enough so they won't get on your nerves and don't become overly close as friends with them unless you're willing to not train with them and find a new partner, which one day will be necessary.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
The people you see there everyday with you on a consistent bases are the only people capable of being a good partner. Even so like you said with different routines/styles/performance levels it's a hard and valuable find. IMO if your self motivated enough to make it there everyday and really work, not going through the motions then you dont' need a partner - grab someone for those occasional spots and your good to go. No unwanted crap that can potentially ruin you rmental game before a workout (IE, the no show, weak effort...etc. etc.)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The people you see there everyday with you on a consistent bases are the only people capable of being a good partner. Even so like you said with different routines/styles/performance levels it's a hard and valuable find. IMO if your self motivated enough to make it there everyday and really work, not going through the motions then you dont' need a partner - grab someone for those occasional spots and your good to go. No unwanted crap that can potentially ruin you rmental game before a workout (IE, the no show, weak effort...etc. etc.)
Another valid point. Partners can be over rated and a set of safety pins goes a long way.