Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you let the weight completely rest on the floor? Do you gently touch it against the floor? Do you slam it against the floor?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I'll stop and lift it just before it touches the ground.

*2000th post*..."Ye had so much potential, YAR."

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^I'm the same way, but curious to see if others do it deferently.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I stop right before the weight hits the floor, but on the last rep or two, I may leave it on the floor, take a few seconds, and pull the ***** up again...or at least try to anyway.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I rest it on the floor. This is the best for strength gains as getting it of the floor is the hardest for most people. Training with a bounce might be better for muscle gains because you will get more reps.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that's a pretty good philosophy.

I tend to rest it on the floor when I do heavier sets with 4 reps or less.

moflika

Awards
I usually let it rest on the ground for a second and reset my grip. The weight tends to slam the ground hard though, since I get kind of get light-headed when I reach the top of my rep on the heavier weight =/

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw some kids causing tremors while deadlifting. I thought there was an earthquake, but it was just them trying to build up as much elastic momentum as possible to maintain their egos.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't slam, I touch gently and then go. I'm like others, I rest pause the last 4 reps. If I am doing heavy weights like 580+ I'll usually rest on all reps...

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I let the weight resume its starting position(the ground), wait 2 seconds , lift and hold 2 seconds at the top. Repeat until nausea.

Is there any other way? :dl:

solarize

solarize

191cm, 98kg (6'3, 215lb)
Awards
  • Established
I lower it to the ground, rest it for half a second to a second then bring it back up.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
im with mullet for the most part. ill gently touch the weight on the floor before attempting my next rep. the eccentric part of the movement is usually pretty slow and completely controlled for me. i was unaware that so many people rest the weight on the floor. the first rep is always the hardest and every single rep would be identical to that zero momentum starting rep. why would anyone wanna do that:icon_lol: ouch! ill have to give it a try next time. however, with rack pulls, i do rest the weight.

bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
I touch down, but don't stop unless my grip is slipping. Controled on the way down though so no slamming.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I rest the weight every time - Seems logical.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
I'll stop and lift it just before it touches the ground.

*2000th post*..."Ye had so much potential, YAR."
funny ive been here a while and never heard of you where the hell have i been??? :D

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Im a big anti-deadlifting moron.

Due to injury. But back when I did them in my early twenties I would set the bar on the ground, release, return to verticle then bend back down, grab bar, lift and repeat.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im a big anti-deadlifting moron.
Could be worse, you could be a tiny anti-deadlifting moron. It's good to be optimistic about these sort of situations. As I recall from another thread, CDB was saying your way is techinically "the proper way" to deadlift.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
is it cool to deadlift like two times a week?
on cycle.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no no no buddy. rest your little hand for a second.
can I deadlift twice a week? not your avarege bear.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
but just tell me why its such a bad idea.
DL taxes the CNS too much. You can't really recover in less than a week. I think a lot of people even DL every other week for this reason. Like alternate weeks DL and squat.

Gettinpumped

Gettinpumped

Awards
  • Established
I do each rep the way I started off the ground. I see some guys bounce it and I think that the way to injury.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
DL taxes the CNS too much. You can't really recover in less than a week. I think a lot of people even DL every other week for this reason. Like alternate weeks DL and squat.
yep.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I don't like repping deadlifts at all. The first one is the hardest. so if your trying to get a bigger deadlift it seems more effective to only train the hardest rep...the first one. For this reason, I prefer to do singles with very short rest periods between each one.

I do however do deadlifts for reps...just not often. If your training for a specific muscular development besides increasing single lift strenght I'm sure deadlifting for reps is very usefull. In that case if you still want to focus on the explosive power and proper hip development...pause it.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
is it cool to deadlift like two times a week?
on cycle.
When I train high volume, I'll often deadlift twice per week (stiff-legs on leg day day and either rack pulls or regular with back), but then again I'm crazy and would rather overtrain than not deadlift.

The guy I lift with will tell you straight up: Deadlifts are my answer to everything.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Stiff leg and regular are two different animals.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
When I train high volume, I'll often deadlift twice per week (stiff-legs on leg day day and either rack pulls or regular with back), but then again I'm crazy and would rather overtrain than not deadlift.

The guy I lift with will tell you straight up: Deadlifts are my answer to everything.
I do that as well. those are deadlift variations that do not tax your CNS the way a properly perfomed deadlift will.

I can rip out stiff leg deads 400+ and rack pulls with 700+ in the same week and not have it affect me. But if i rip out one set of 600 on deadlifting its going to be a week or two before i deadlift again.

I had Gus Rethwich (WABDL president and first man to pull over 900lbs over the knee) working with me on a deadlift program one time. And he told me, your CNS can truly only handle one all out max effort deadlift or set to failure on deadlifts once every 21 weeks. And if you tried it sooner you would not be at your peak level.

I think thats probably an overstatement...but gives you and idea that 2x per week is likely to much.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I do that as well. those are deadlift variations that do not tax your CNS the way a properly perfomed deadlift will.

I can rip out stiff leg deads 400+ and rack pulls with 700+ in the same week and not have it affect me. But if i rip out one set of 600 on deadlifting its going to be a week or two before i deadlift again.

I had Gus Rethwich (WABDL president and first man to pull over 900lbs over the knee) working with me on a deadlift program one time. And he told me, your CNS can truly only handle one all out max effort deadlift or set to failure on deadlifts once every 21 weeks. And if you tried it sooner you would not be at your peak level.

I think thats probably an overstatement...but gives you and idea that 2x per week is likely to much.
That seems like a bit of a stretch...21 wks? Im not sure if i could agree that it's that much but i know that i've done failure deads 2 times a month...over the long haul i think it hurt me more than helped, but in the short run(2months) it was great...

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
I've always deadlifted once a week. Would I benefit with less frequency?

I usually just hit like one set of 10 or so reps to failure. Like today I hit 365X9. (I've had a long break from lifting heavy, lol). I'm intrigued about trying heavy singles instead of a heavy set to failure. How would I structure a routine like that?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I've always deadlifted once a week. Would I benefit with less frequency?

I usually just hit like one set of 10 or so reps to failure. Like today I hit 365X9. (I've had a long break from lifting heavy, lol). I'm intrigued about trying heavy singles instead of a heavy set to failure. How would I structure a routine like that?
I like to build my deadlift programs around speed singles off the floor, and heavy pulling from the rack, combined with other excercies such as good mornings, box squats, reverse hypers, pull throughs, back raises, etc.

I'll do a speed deadlift routine such as the following:
wk 1 65% of max for 15 singles w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each
wk 2 70% of max for 12 singles w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each
wk 3 Speed Box Squat 55% w/ bands 10 sets of 2 w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each
wk 4 75% of max for 10 singles w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each
wk 5 80% of max for 8 singles w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each
wk 6 Speed Box Squat 65% w/ bands 10 sets of 2 w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each
wk 7 85% of max for 6 singles w/ 30-45 seconds rest between each

Rinse and repeat at a slightly higher weight.

The reverse hypers, pull throughs, back raises, stiff leg deads are assistance stuff that can be done either the same day or on leg day.

Good Mornings or similiar core lifts can be used in place of box squats.

Rack pulls can be done on either that day or on another day such as lats. they don't need to be done every week. example, done on box squat week.

This is just a sample program of how to integrate a routine based around singles and not doing deadlifts week after week.

As far as Deadlift sets to failure...i don't recomend that be done very often. Leave a rep in the tank, and hit some rack pulls or something else to beat yourself down. Or maybe at the end of a routine such as above to test the results.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i do deads every 5 days.... right behind squats as a warm up....

5 sets of 8reps slow-controlled ATG squats, light- 135#

rest a few minutes

then deads go like this
135#, 1x15
225#, 5x5
315#, 1x3
225#,3x5
puke

rest intervals of 30-45 seconds between sets.

3x15 300#ish calf raises

then i crawl to the car and waddle around for the next 3-4 days.

That is ALL i do in the gym on that day

did i mention that i love deadlifts.....

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i do deads every 5 days.... right behind squats as a warm up....

5 sets of 8reps slow-controlled ATG squats, light- 135#

rest a few minutes

then deads go like this
135#, 1x15
225#, 5x5
315#, 1x3
225#,3x5
puke

rest intervals of 30-45 seconds between sets.

3x15 300#ish calf raises

then i crawl to the car and waddle around for the next 3-4 days.

That is ALL i do in the gym on that day

did i mention that i love deadlifts.....
I used to train very similar to that. Working up to something like a heavy 5x6 with some heavy doubles and tripples as i got close to when i would max. And at the time my best pull was in the mid 500's and I had been stalled there for a long time.

Then I quite training like that, and in 6 months I put 100lbs on my deadlift, and it continues to climb today.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I used to train very similar to that. Working up to something like a heavy 5x6 with some heavy doubles and tripples as i got close to when i would max. And at the time my best pull was in the mid 500's and I had been stalled there for a long time.

Then I quite training like that, and in 6 months I put 100lbs on my deadlift, and it continues to climb today.
Overtraining for the most part is from lack of hydration, calories and rest. Generally speaking of course.

Thank goodness we are all different, I just know what works for me.......

However, I am interested in this program of yours that can get me in the 500's........... So, do tell.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Overtraining for the most part is from lack of hydration, calories and rest. Generally speaking of course.

Thank goodness we are all different, I just know what works for me.......

However, I am interested in this program of yours that can get me in the 500's........... So, do tell.
overtraining muscles - yes. overtraining CNS - No. A true max effort deadlift or deadlift set you CNS has to send signals to nearly every muscle in your body in a very specific sequence and is very taxing. On the other hand it will only be that taxing if you have good form to allow it to tax yourself that way.

If you look a few post up you will see an example of training, I posted it for someone else. Read up on some dead lift training articles at Elite EFS or West Side Barbell. You will find lots of other training methods there that may fit what you want to do a little better.

But yes, it all comes down to what each individual responds to. So I, nor anyone else, can tell you what will work for you. I am not a deadlift expert, nor do i claim to be one. All i can do is relay what has helped me add close to 200lbs on my deadlift over the last few years, over the 523 i pulled at my first comp.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: :dl: I like this guy.:study:

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
overtraining muscles - yes. overtraining CNS - No. A true max effort deadlift or deadlift set you CNS has to send signals to nearly every muscle in your body in a very specific sequence and is very taxing. On the other hand it will only be that taxing if you have good form to allow it to tax yourself that way.

If you look a few post up you will see an example of training, I posted it for someone else. Read up on some dead lift training articles at Elite EFS or West Side Barbell. You will find lots of other training methods there that may fit what you want to do a little better.

But yes, it all comes down to what each individual responds to. So I, nor anyone else, can tell you what will work for you. I am not a deadlift expert, nor do i claim to be one. All i can do is relay what has helped me add close to 200lbs on my deadlift over the last few years, over the 523 i pulled at my first comp.

If you dont mind, I have a couple questions.

Age?
Weight?
Number of years training?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
If you dont mind, I have a couple questions.

Age?
Weight?
Number of years training?
29 for another 2 months.

5'9" 240lbs, w/ BF in the mid/low teens

Training on and off since i was in Junior High without being consistent till about 6 years ago. The last 4-5 years I've been training as a powerlifter.

I have a video log over in the training forum.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
29 for another 2 months.

5'9" 240lbs, w/ BF in the mid/low teens

Training on and off since i was in Junior High without being consistent till about 6 years ago. The last 4-5 years I've been training as a powerlifter.

I have a video log over in the training forum.
I will be 35 in sept and 2 years of training march 19th...

Here and there training in high school....... Then nothing until 2 years ago.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I will be 35 in sept and 2 years of training march 19th...

Here and there training in high school....... Then nothing until 2 years ago.
feels good to be back don't it.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
feels good to be back don't it.
You know it man. I had just finished 4 years of school while working semi full time job AND helping run a family business. I was physically and mentally exhausted. I was having panic attacks, breakin out, having anger management issues ,put on 25 pounds of flub and was starting to feel my age........

Deadlifts saved my life..........Well, excercise has totally changed me. I love it, AND i really do love deadlifts......Just did them 15 minutes ago..........I am high now....

Deadlifts are my godsend.......:dl: :dance:

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I`m CRAZY TOO MAN!!!!

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well i did some deadlifting today. it was a 4 day gap between the last time i did and i ripped it up! it was the best ive lifted in a while. i`ve been deadlifting twice a week for three weeks now and its all good. i mean yeah it hurts the next day but thats a good thing. just good and sore. im on my 4th week of BAm and im starting EPI tonight so i hope my lifts keep getting better. (they will!!)