I have a cold. OK to lift?

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday I seem to have acquired a scratchy throat and stopped up nose. Is it Ok to continue my normal work-out routine or do I need to lay off so my immune system can be fully efficient?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday I seem to have acquired a scratchy throat and stopped up nose. Is it Ok to continue my normal work-out routine or do I need to lay off so my immune system can be fully efficient?
Only if you want it to turn into the full fledged flu like mine did. I kept lifting even into being sick. Realized, I should have taken a step back so I didnt turn into death warmed over.

Adams

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
*Sniffle*

I was wondering what I should do with this cold. I was going to say "Colds are for wussies!" and hit the weight like I did last flu season.

Come to think of it that's why I could have died from the resulting extremely powerful fever and shakes that I got...and I'd been wondering why I'd gotten so violently ill. :\

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
*Sniffle*

I was wondering what I should do with this cold. I was going to say "Colds are for wussies!" and hit the weight like I did last flu season.

Come to think of it that's why I could have died from the resulting extremely powerful fever and shakes that I got...and I'd been wondering why I'd gotten so violently ill. :\
Try out the old Zicam... seems to work well for me, at Avoiding, or cutting the sick time down pretty well.

If only I would have followed my own advise this time!!! :D

Adams

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
I'll try the Zicam.

*sniffle* Although I'm continuing to practice Karate...which in retrospect is a bad idea. Maybe I should stop until I get better.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Invest in some Zinc, vitamin C and whatever anti-oxidants you can get your hands on if you have not done so. These should shorten the duration of your could.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
if your gym is usually crowded, it'd be nice of you to avoid infecting others as a courtesy :)

zicam does a good job :cool:

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
heard a good bit of negative reviews of zicam actually. i AM taking a good bit of ZMA though, which I know includes Zinc, but I don't know about antioxidants. i think green tea and milk thistle have antioxidants too...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
heard a good bit of negative reviews of zicam actually. i AM taking a good bit of ZMA though, which I know includes Zinc, but I don't know about antioxidants. i think green tea and milk thistle have antioxidants too...
Its all in your personal view of it... I seen a few studies that supported Zicam... and some that didnt... For me personally it works great to reduce the time in a full fledge cold. If started early enough.. keeps me from real sickness.

Adams

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
wait, not milk thistle, i meant NAC is somewhat of an antioxidant because it is a precursor in the formation of glutathione

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
if your gym is usually crowded, it'd be nice of you to avoid infecting others as a courtesy :)

zicam does a good job :cool:

I agree with BOTH of those statements! I got pink eye a few weeks ago from the gym. Ever since I carry Germ-X hand sanitizer with me. I use it after handling plates, and each time I move off a piece of equipment.