modified 5x5 progam of some sort, what do you think

T

thebear

Awards
I saw a 5x5 routine that won 1st place on another website in a article submission contest on this website, I liked the idea behind and would like to use it with some modifications to the exercises and distribution of rest days

Monday-CGBP, Military Press/DB side lateral, Standing calf Raise, Barbell Curl

Tues-rest

Wednesday-Weighted Chins, Barbell Bench Press,Lying leg Curl,Barbell Squat,Barbell shrugs

Thursday-rest

Friday-Dumbbell Curl, Seated Calf Raise, Military Press/Dumbbell Lateral/Lying Tricep extension

Saturday-Rest

Sunday-Bent Over rows, Incline Dumbbell Press, SLDL, Leg Press, Barbell Shrug

All these exercises are performed in 5x5 fashion, excluding isolation exercises such as the shrugs, side laterals, leg curls and calf work and just for fun i might throw in a superset for some things, e.g 5x5 bench press with 2X10-15 dumbbell pull-overs

Tell me what you think, any help is greatly appreciated

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
Not enough back exercises for me... I also don't like the idea of combining all of those different body groups all over the place...seems disorganized to me, thats just my opinion. 5x5 would be cool to do though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am doing a 5x5 program right now and here is my split

1A. Incline BP, Squats, BB Rows, Biceps, Core
1B. Flat DB Press, Front Squats, One-Arm Rows, Biceps, Core
2A. Deads, Military Press, Cleans, Triceps, Core
2B. SLDL, Hammer Strength Shoulder Press, Cleans, Triceps, Core

I lift Mon, Wed, Fri and it follows this order: 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B, lather, rinse, repeat. I do it like this so I stagger which muscle groups get more volume each week. You can sub incline for flat BP, but do 5 sets on each compound exercise (except for cleans).

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I like Rodja's approach with the staggering. While volume technically is the same for all muscles the weekly schedule matters a lot for most people who work 9-5, balancing volume along those lines is a good idea. I like the programs on Mad Cow's site, but if you want to mix it up from there you can. I like to stay minimalist in my approach:

- Always Included as one workout -
Squat
Bench
Row

- Other Mixes I've Used -
Dead Lift
Clean and Press
Lat Pull Down
Dips

or

Front Squat
Incline Bench
Good Mornings
One Arm Rows

I prefer full body two to three times a week.