Beginning of day or End?

  1. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Beginning of day or End?


    What time is the ideal for the body to train as we do? Putting all convienence aside are there any scientific evidence or studies showing the body is stronger during the ending of your "day" or upon waking?

    I work out at the end of my day which is around 5am, I used to workout right after my first meal and i was under the theory that you get to feed you muscle the rest of the day this way. Working out at the end tells me logically speaking that your body is fueled already and that you go to sleep soon after allowing for a recovery state sooner.

    Im curious if anyone has heard or read anything on this and also everyone's logic on the subject.

  2. Registered User
    spatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    599
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    44.25%

    Your test levels are highest in the morning. Also, I think it would be best if you have more meals after your workout to recover.
  3. Professional Member
    jminis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,023
    Rep Power
    2190
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    47.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Best time is when you have it simple as that.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    SXULB52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    165
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    35.95%

    I have not found any studies yet but my theory goes along with spatch. I feel that since test levels are highest in the morning, assuming you sleep at night and not during the day which would effect your circadian rhythm, morning is a hormonally optimal time to lift. I also feel that a meal high in protein and complex carbs first thing in the morning and then waiting an hour to train is best. My stomach gets funny if I eat and then lift right after so waiting works well for me. Also this meal fuels your body and workout so you are not catabolic right off the bat with your workout. Then you finish your workout and have all day to feed your body, instead of at night only having a meal or two and then going for hours without feeding during sleep. Morning training also helps me set my day off right and really helps me sleep at night. Just my opinion though.
  5. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SXULB52 View Post
    I have not found any studies yet but my theory goes along with spatch. I feel that since test levels are highest in the morning, assuming you sleep at night and not during the day which would effect your circadian rhythm, morning is a hormonally optimal time to lift. I also feel that a meal high in protein and complex carbs first thing in the morning and then waiting an hour to train is best. My stomach gets funny if I eat and then lift right after so waiting works well for me. Also this meal fuels your body and workout so you are not catabolic right off the bat with your workout. Then you finish your workout and have all day to feed your body, instead of at night only having a meal or two and then going for hours without feeding during sleep. Morning training also helps me set my day off right and really helps me sleep at night. Just my opinion though.
    Hey! thanks for hitting this thread. Makes alot of sense to me. For the past 3-5 months i have been training @ 5am, eating one meal, and then sleeping. I have seen less results than b4 when i used to train at the start of the day.

    Here is my problem tho, I wake up around 1-3pm due to graveyard shift. Ok and by the time i eat a meal, let it digest, and go to the gym, it is the busiest time and i just cant stand it! I hate when the gym is packed, people staring, waiting for equipment, and its just harder for me to focus.

    I would like to know more about the "circadian rhythm", how does this change when one is pretty much nocturnal?
  6. New Member
    SXULB52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    165
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    35.95%

    Pistonpump, the circadian rhythm is the natural body clock that your body goes through in regards waking and sleeping. Growth hormones and testosterone are released at night, along with many other hormones such as increase in melatonin, decrease in ADH, etc. Melatonin is released in response to the body clock telling you it is bed time, and fromt he actual darkness of the night. When working graveyard shift you throw off your body clock at first, but then it adjusts itself and resets itself, so your 1-3PM is most peoples 6-7AM. That is why jet lag happens, your clock is off and needs time to adjust. There have been some studies done regarding this, mostly sensory deprivation of light or hyperexposure to light on hormone release and quality of sleep. As far as your schedule goes, I prefer either eggs or a whey shake in the morning, along with oatmeal and creamed honey. It is the easiest on my stomach and fuels me and keeps me full, I get sick if my stomach is empty too long. If I were your, i would wake up and hour or two prior to your normal waking time and eat this meal and then go back to bed and wake up at your normal time and then go to the gym, it is very simple and only takes 1 hour till I am fine to squat even. I do this alot because I have a strange schedule. I have conditioning in the morning at 6AM for an hour and cannot eat before because I will be sick. When I get back to my room around 7:15AM I eat this meal and check emails etc and then walk to the gym around 8-8:15AM and begin my workout by 8:30AM. Then I have a shake and some carbs afterwards, I have been experimenting with simple and complex carbs, I think I like complex better with some fruit. Then 45 minutes after the shake I eat another whole food meal then I am back on schedule. Let me know if you want my post workout meal, its pretty good.
  7. Professional Member
    jminis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,023
    Rep Power
    2190
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    47.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    Best time is when you have it simple as that.
    Going to quote myself here Honestly fella's it makes such a small difference if any I wouldn't give it a second thought.
  8. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SXULB52 View Post
    Pistonpump, the circadian rhythm is the natural body clock that your body goes through in regards waking and sleeping. Growth hormones and testosterone are released at night, along with many other hormones such as increase in melatonin, decrease in ADH, etc. Melatonin is released in response to the body clock telling you it is bed time, and fromt he actual darkness of the night. When working graveyard shift you throw off your body clock at first, but then it adjusts itself and resets itself, so your 1-3PM is most peoples 6-7AM. That is why jet lag happens, your clock is off and needs time to adjust. There have been some studies done regarding this, mostly sensory deprivation of light or hyperexposure to light on hormone release and quality of sleep. As far as your schedule goes, I prefer either eggs or a whey shake in the morning, along with oatmeal and creamed honey. It is the easiest on my stomach and fuels me and keeps me full, I get sick if my stomach is empty too long. If I were your, i would wake up and hour or two prior to your normal waking time and eat this meal and then go back to bed and wake up at your normal time and then go to the gym, it is very simple and only takes 1 hour till I am fine to squat even. I do this alot because I have a strange schedule. I have conditioning in the morning at 6AM for an hour and cannot eat before because I will be sick. When I get back to my room around 7:15AM I eat this meal and check emails etc and then walk to the gym around 8-8:15AM and begin my workout by 8:30AM. Then I have a shake and some carbs afterwards, I have been experimenting with simple and complex carbs, I think I like complex better with some fruit. Then 45 minutes after the shake I eat another whole food meal then I am back on schedule. Let me know if you want my post workout meal, its pretty good.
    thanks for the breakdown. well, you mind as well tell me that powo meal...
  9. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4376
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    testosterone spikes at about 4am but I have seen a graph that says 8am, also I have heard that after a workout your insulin is high and your body stores nutrients better because of this, so I would say working out between 4am-9am and having the biggest meal of the day within an hour after your workout, Also you should hydrate your self before working out.
    Last edited by ItsHectic; 02-21-2007 at 08:49 AM.
  10. New Member
    SXULB52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    165
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    35.95%

    My post workout meal usually is 50 g whey isolate in water and 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt, 1/2 cup oats dry, 1.5 cups frozen fruit, and 2 tbsp honey. Put the yogurt mixture in the fridge at night and by the next day the fruit is thawed and ready to eat. It fills me up and I don't get an energy crash after my workout either. Good luck with the workouts bro graveyard shift sucks.
  11. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    716
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    28.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    testosterone spikes at about 4am but I have seen a graph that says 8am, also I have heard that after a workout your insulin is high and your body stores nutrients better because of this, so I would say working out between 4am-9am and having the biggest meal of the day within an hour after your workout, Also you should hydrate your self before working out.
    You mean insulin sensitivity is high. I've read your other posts and suspect that's what you meant. Just clearing it up for the newbies!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Forged Bridge beginning of PCT or after PCT?
    By Comeback79 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
  2. topical fat burner beginning of cut or end of cut
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 02:14 AM
  3. M1T at the beginning or end of a cycle or ?
    By milwood in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 05:31 PM
  4. Igf-1 r3 with AS at beginning or end of cycle
    By Seahawk1122 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 03:08 PM
  5. clen/t3 at begining of my cycle or at the end?
    By acecombact1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 01:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in