Iron Addict!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
He is currently training me (from animal kits board). A+ for him! I only lift 3 days a week and hell the most volume I see is two sets. If you guys need a good trainer I recommend him fully.

He has a mix of normal work sets as well as rest pause method, and if you havent learned about rest pause yet then i suggest you go to animalkits.be and research a thread called cycles on pennies by doggcrapp.. great read!

Nelson

LakeMountD
As you know I`ve been reading up on IA & DC`s methods.
If you don`t mind, can you tell me:
Which exercises are you doing the Rest Pause with?
Are you doing 6-10 negatives like DC recommends?
Thanks for any help.

pinoy

Awards
i just read all 85+ pages

j/k that's a HYOOOGE thread

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
he recommends 2-5 second negatives.. and it depends on the person as to what exercises you do RP with.. and i dont necessarily want to give away my exact schedule out of respect for him.. he doesnt do things exactly like DC but i mean a lot of it is close.. DC sometimes gets a little extreme, forgetting that he has freaky genetics.. his ideas however are right on.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I agree Lake, please keep his training info to yourself. Respect the fact that the man trains people for a living, and it is his livelyhood.

Nelson

he recommends 2-5 second negatives.. and it depends on the person as to what exercises you do RP with.. and i dont necessarily want to give away my exact schedule out of respect for him.. he doesnt do things exactly like DC but i mean a lot of it is close.. DC sometimes gets a little extreme, forgetting that he has freaky genetics.. his ideas however are right on.
Thanks LakeMountD.
I didn`t expect you to post the entire workout.
I was just seeking some info about it.
I will be sending my money to Iron Addict in about 3-4 weeks, so I`m not looking for a free ride.
Thanks for the insight.

Pinoy
I have also read the whole thread & cut n` pasted parts of it for future reference.
Definitely well worth the read.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Bump for Iron Addict, DoggCrapp and Silverback. All three of these guys know about training. And as far as diet check out SwoleCat, the man has it down.

Nelson

Bump for Iron Addict, DoggCrapp and Silverback. All three of these guys know about training. And as far as diet check out SwoleCat, the man has it down.
I`ll second that.
I`ve been on SwoleCat`s diet for 4 weeks & I`m leaner than I`ve ever been.
Plus my strength has improved a little.:cool:

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
BUMP! And I will keep bumping this to the head of the line until I think some of these buck 50 guys stop doing super sets and really start training.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Right now I am using Swoles Training with SGX. But in about 10-12 weeks I am going to start using SB's methods but DC's ideas on protein and fat consumption. I choose SB because his focus is more strength and then size. I am trying to be about 205-210 at around 7-9% BF at 5'8-5'9 with freaky strength. What about you?

OH yeah and BUMP for IA, SB, DC and Swole!

pinoy

Awards
do you guys follow dc's diet guidelines? getting 2g protein/per lb bodyweight and cutting off carbs after 5? i think he also combines fats and carbs in the same meal

Last edited:

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Not right now. I follow Swole's program SGX. But in about three months I will switch over to Silverbacks training methods and DC/Swoles diet guidelines.

BUMP for IA, SB, DC and Swole.

Nelson

Right now I am using Swoles Training with SGX. But in about 10-12 weeks I am going to start using SB's methods but DC's ideas on protein and fat consumption. I choose SB because his focus is more strength and then size. I am trying to be about 205-210 at around 7-9% BF at 5'8-5'9 with freaky strength. What about you?

OH yeah and BUMP for IA, SB, DC and Swole!
I`m currently on Day 32 of SwoleGenix - Swoles cutting program.
I plan to finish SwoleGenix at the end of June.
Ideally I`d like to start training with IA in July, but I`m moving from here (Japan), back to Australia in late July which will make it difficult.
Maybe I will have to wait until I get settled into life in Australia, around early August to get started with IA.

:confused:

motleybreu

Awards
swole just posted a new picture at AU.....jacked! His hard work and dedication alone are remarkable. I know a lot of people who went through his program...and if you want a free consoltation, post some recipes at AU hehe:)

SC is the man...I don't know much about the other guys, except for SB, but I've only heard of benefits from going through their programs

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Nelson: Hooking up with IA will do a lot in helping you gain. I mean look at LakeMD he started at 164 and now 6-7 weeks later is about to break 180. Plus his fees and the deal are really good.

Motley: I like to think of IA falling in between SB and DC. DC is strength /size with extreme training, while SB is hard core as well but focuses more on strength then size (though you will get bigger using his programs). But all three are solid and would adjust your training to fit your goals. This is how I see them and they might not agree with me:)

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
"Supersetting my life away....." BWHAAAAA

pinoy

Awards
i'm going to try dc's training method next week, can't wait!!!

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I've been working with Swole, for a few months now, and he knows his ****, I've never been happier with my rate of success

Nelson

BUMP for Swole
If you want lean mass (SwoledUp), or want to cut without losing lean mass (SwoleGenix) - go to swolecat.com & check out the forums for some feedback from people who are having lots of success with his programs.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
And don't forget HIT training, Nelson:D It has packed mass on many frames over the years. IA, DC and SB are well-versed on putting on a lot of mass in a short amount of time. Why the average pearson would train any other way is beyond me:confused:

Nelson

Right on

And don't forget HIT training, Nelson:D It has packed mass on many frames over the years. IA, DC and SB are well-versed on putting on a lot of mass in a short amount of time. Why the average pearson would train any other way is beyond me:confused:
I have dabbled in HIT / abbreviated training before in the past, with limited success.
But I feel that was due to overtraining.
Since starting it again I feel like I`m starting to find my ideal recovery time between workouts whilst being able to maintain progress:cool:
I feel that a lot of people who dismiss it don`t follow or understand the principles correctly.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Your right, you have to see what works for you. And don't see any results because they don't work hard enough ie: they stop short of failure.

bee

Banned
Awards
Yes but training to failure has disadvantages not advantages. Do you need to shovel dirt until you can't do it anymore to make muscle? NOOOOO all you need is progressive overload of intensity, do things a little more intensely then before.

This is done by shortening rest periods the next workout, adding weight with same reps, or adding reps with the same weight
The close you go to failure means the more cortisol you release and the more you train you overtrain your nervous system and the more you train your nervous system to actually learn to FAIL! Now granted you don't want to be too far from failure either because intensity is about how heavy of a weight your using so if your doing a weight you can do for a 8 reps and its still like 7 reps from OSTIVE failure chances are that weight is way too light and not something tat will stimulate muscle growth from the start in the fast twitch fibers. As long as your using a moderate to heavy weight 1 to 3 reps short of failure(meaning stopping when you know only do 1 to 3 reps more in good full range of motion and in fairly good form for that set) is all that is necessary, then the next workout you add weights or reps(preferably weight that is slightly better for adding intensity) and there is the progressive intensity that your muscles need to adapt to grow!

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Can you explain a little more about how you train Bee? And what is your height and BW?

Last edited:

bee

Banned
Awards
Well ive done a lot of reading on the issue lately and just started to switch in the last week to doing my sets about 1 to 2 reps short of failure mostly(meaning ill stop when i know i can do 1 to 2 more reps in the set with good form) but i do real short workouts.

Actually i got the link of the routine im using, it was posted by tkarrde on this page but it seems pretty logical and decent so far.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114284&perpage=10&highlight=responding&pagenumber=5

Anyways look at tkarrde's post for his workout.

Another thing what i like about his workout is every muscle is worked every 4 to 5 days and there is evidence that certain growth factors, etc are stopped after 2or 3 days so why go a whole 4 days afterwards of doing nothing?? ITs better to lower the volume and hit it more frequently, this allows slightly less strength gains but more muscle gains instead supposedly.

Heres a good interesting read, i recommend you read the whole thing,its about NOT training to failure even on abreviated routines.

http://www.cbass.com/KevinDye.htm

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I glanced over the article from C. Bass and it does have merits. But many HIT traniees do cycle their progams. DoggCrapp advocates 4 weeks bull-busting work then two weeks of less, even on gear. Many of the trainers I have mentioned have had a great deal of success with HIT. LAkemountD went from 164 to 180 in about 7 weeks under Iron Addict and he had already been lifting for about 2-3 years. Just read some of their stuff and it will open your eyes.
When I was 17-18 I did the Volume work
(15 sets for chest) and now 14 years later I know how to train a better way

Nelson

IMO cycling of intensity is key.
IA & many others such as Stuart McRobert advocate this.
That way you don`t blast the CNS by going to failure every workout & you can continue to make steady gains without overtraining.
Just my 2 cents.

bee

Banned
Awards
yes even this guy mentions cycling intensity and so does hardgainer.com but i still feel that going to positive failure is unnecessary and does more damage then good, but im not expert it just seems more logical to me. I think for long term its better just to stay a rep or 2 if you can on average because youll make steadier gains longer and plateau less quick. Once again failure is not necessary at all for muscle growth and it seems to do a lot of harm and no good, even if there is any good from it the negatives are A LOT so why bother....

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Because if your not taxing your muscles you can't force them to grow. There are exceptions, such as Flex Wheeler who works out most of the time with light weight and alot of reps. But he is a mutant (not kidding he has a mutation in his genes that allows him to grow no matter what he training he uses) having said that he still got whopped by Dorian Yates because Yates was so over powering. If you go to many of the boards and you will see 90% of the people train with high volume and less intensity, and most of them have a hard time breaking 200lbs (lean) without gear or PH's. But you put them on a solid training routine and diet and they grow like crazy. A good example is a guy SB is training, and who just gave an update on swolecat.com. Sabertooth started 10 weeks ago at 235 and now he's at 251 natrual and leaner then he started. Plus he is repping out what he used to max! Without gear!!

bee

Banned
Awards
Yes but failure isn't a measure of intensity. Its a measure of "fatigue". You only need to do things a little more intensely then before to get your muscles to want to adapt, by adding weight, reps, or shortening rest periods. Adding weights steadily but slowly is the quickest and most logical way this can be done for long term. Even adding a set next workout will cause the muscle to want to adapt even though and thats not making things really more "intense".

I think volume training works for a low percentage of people but i think most benefit best from low to low-medium volume so i agree with you, i just dont think going to positive failure is necessary.

There is a lot of negatives for doing so, and i don't believe there is any real positives that can be proven, and even if there is it doesnt outweigh the negatives.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Yes but how do you know that you are taxing the muscle? If you stop two reps short, why not three reps or four. When you have pushed it to the max. then you'll know. Intensity is how hard you have worked, so if you are leaving something left then the intensity is not high (it might not be low either). You are forcing your body to adapt. What do you think will tax your muscles more: 225 bp for 7 or 225 for 9 (pos. failure) then rest/pause for 2?
This is like arguing over protein. Same people think that they can take 200 grams a day of protein and grow to be 225lbs jacked. Wrong. It takes 300+ a day for solid gains (not 5lbs a year but 15+).
Bee if you are already 220lbs then do what your doing, but if your like a lot of guys on these boards that are 5'10 165lbs, then you will work for years trying what you are doing and go nowhere.

bee

Banned
Awards
Ive done failure for over a year, and when i say failure i mean i made sure no more reps were possible on that set with at least acceptable form. It was crap and i won't ever go back.

Intensity is measured bythe weight you use not how often you lift it. I couldgo through the math formulas for you if you choose but i got so damn bored doing it last time to someone on another board i think ill pass right now. Anyways just lift heavy near positive failure and that is intense enough, not lifting to failure, that is just fatigue and just gonna cause early plateaus in strength, or cause more harm then good.

Remember adding weights and then maxing out ALSO (bygoing to failure) will just cause you to plateau early, just add weights slowly and progressively and try to avoid going to positive failure, that weight increase is what causes your intensity to go up each workout and cause your muscles to want to adapt.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i agree with lcsulla on this one.. i believe positive failure is very necessary. i believe one of the biggest reasons that the average lifter doesnt grow is cns fatigue. Although going to failure taxes your cns it would be much more beneficial to do a normal set shy of failure then do one rest pause set to failure (with 4 minutes rest between the two sets) then doing 8-10 sets 2 reps shy of failure. you encounter a lot of stresses during the day or at least most people do and that doesnt help anything either. so you want to hit your muscles as hard as possible in the smallest amount of time without overtraining.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
It's cool Bee, we just have a diffrent way of doing things. Hell if it works for you then why change, just because some asshole (me :D ) says too? I know some older pro's who did it your way and had great bodies. And ifit's all the same you can keep the math (gives me heart-burn).

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bump for IA--LOL,

I just joined the board and plan on being a regular contributor. I will slowly but surely post most of my articles here and be availabale to answer training Q's. looks like a great group of people here!

Iron Addict

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
the great one has come! the prophecy is true! ::bows down::

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I agree LakeMD! IA is one of the three guys I would trust to hook me up. With Silverback and DoggCrapp being the other two.

I just signed up with SB and I am happy as ****!

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Welcome IA, great to see you here bro! I have followed your work for a qwhile over at A's place.