Body Recomp?

HDeuce7

HDeuce7

Awards
I am looking to recomp my body. I am 205 and 18% BF and would like to cut down my body fat and not loose any muscle. I am currently taking the ALRI Evolution stack and consuming about 3500 cals with a 40/40/20 ratio of pro/carb/fat. If anyone could let me know the best way to recomp, it would be much appreciated.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Recomping has a lot more to do with diet than exercise science.

IMO, it sounds like you should try a nice slow cut. You won't lose muscle if it's done right, you might even get a bit stronger.

I believe recomping works, but it's not a quick process and you have to keep very close track of your cals.

HDeuce7

HDeuce7

Awards
Recomping has a lot more to do with diet than exercise science.

IMO, it sounds like you should try a nice slow cut. You won't lose muscle if it's done right, you might even get a bit stronger.

I believe recomping works, but it's not a quick process and you have to keep very close track of your cals.
What type of exercise routine do you do while recomping? Do you do low # of sets/high reps or keep it at 3 sets/10 reps or what? How should my diet be? I have never doen a recomp so any info would be good.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What type of exercise routine do you do while recomping? Do you do low # of sets/high reps or keep it at 3 sets/10 reps or what? How should my diet be? I have never doen a recomp so any info would be good.
Unfortunately, this is a very difficult question to answer because the solution varies from person to person I am cutting, but also gaining strength using a 5x5 program, but I have also had success with Max-OT for cutting. Like Moyer said, diet determines what physiological changes occur within your body, so eat cleanly, increase cardio, and stay consistent with your routine.

HDeuce7

HDeuce7

Awards
Do I reduce my cals so I am in a calorie deficient or keep them at my normal level? Right now I am in a bulking routine and I am eating about 3800 cals per day. I am at 18% bf and would like to get below 12%. What is a 5x5 routine?

Cannon454

Awards
How and what workout programs work best depends completely on the person. I have my best results with a 5x5. However, others love the 4x12 . Completley depends. To get to 18% you were probably no eating the cleanest diet. I would go to fitday and begin a journal. Dial in your diet and shoot for 1-2 pounds a week in weight loss. Any more and your burning muscle. Without knowing your size/past/activity levels it's though to tell if your 3000-3500 cal a day diet is too much or too little.

Cannon

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I am looking to recomp my body. I am 205 and 18% BF and would like to cut down my body fat and not loose any muscle. I am currently taking the ALRI Evolution stack and consuming about 3500 cals with a 40/40/20 ratio of pro/carb/fat. If anyone could let me know the best way to recomp, it would be much appreciated.
I would be very surprised if you can lose any fat on 3500 cals a day (although that would be cool as hell). Canon is right, everyone is a little different. The only way to know for sure is to track your progress for 2-4 weeks while keeping very close track of your intake. If 3500 isn't doing it, I would try 2800-3000 for a couple weeks and see how much you lose. If you're looking for steady fat loss with no muscle loss, shoot to lose 4-6lbs a month.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, this is a very difficult question to answer because the solution varies from person to person.
EXACTLY!!

One thing I would recommend as far as the exercise piece would be to do low-medium intensity cardio sessions of 30-45 minutes, 3-4x/week. That means doing cardio with a heart rate at 60-75% (I think that's the range :think: ), which is ~4.0 mph on the treadmill for most. It's slower at burning fat than high-intensity or sprints, but it spares muscle much better.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Do I reduce my cals so I am in a calorie deficient or keep them at my normal level? Right now I am in a bulking routine and I am eating about 3800 cals per day. I am at 18% bf and would like to get below 12%. What is a 5x5 routine?
This link will take you to a good page that explains 5x5 routines. I'd also recommend you look up the forums at the body recomp link in my signature, lots of good information there specific to what you're looking to do. One warning, do not post a question there right away. There's a lot of good info but the regular posters will likely rip you a new one for not searching before asking. So search and read first, so their attitude doesn't put you off what really is a good information resource.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
This link will take you to a good page that explains 5x5 routines. I'd also recommend you look up the forums at the body recomp link in my signature, lots of good information there specific to what you're looking to do. One warning, do not post a question there right away. There's a lot of good info but the regular posters will likely rip you a new one for not searching before asking. So search and read first, so their attitude doesn't put you off what really is a good information resource.
:goodpost:

Much of Lyle's stuff is practically required reading IMO.

HDeuce7

HDeuce7

Awards
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have been reading up on what Lyle has to say and it has opened my eyes to a lot. It is going to help me a lot after I get done with this bulking cycle in the middle of March and I start to cut. I have started reading about the 5x5 programs and honestly I am very intersted in the fact that 3 or 4 exercises done 3 times a week will help with strength and fat loss. What other types of routines can people suggest that I look at doing when I start to cut in March. I want to determine how many sets, execises, and reps I need to look at doing. I have a good cardio routine I am going to do, but I am concerned at how my weighlifting routine should be structured.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
What other types of routines can people suggest that I look at doing when I start to cut in March. I want to determine how many sets, execises, and reps I need to look at doing. I have a good cardio routine I am going to do, but I am concerned at how my weighlifting routine should be structured.
It varies, what types of routines work best for cutting from person to person. The standard HST routine does well for many while cutting. For myself low rep, high weight work such as in the peak of a dual factor 5x5 routine works best. It's something you really have to discover.