Someting Wong... (Right Shoulder)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I also posted this in the supp section - so you can post either recommended supplements or exercises here or there.
Thanks.

I realized mid-week last week that something is wrong with my right shoulder when doing a chest workout.

I had pain sorta in the uppper mid-delt region - near where the muscles attach to the joint. Also had some in the rear delt area.
My right shoulder was REALLY weak compared to my left (may have been because of the pain - which isn't bad, but definately noticeable).

This sucks - just majorly sucks.

I did something to my left shoulder back late in high school ('99) - had pain where the Acromium and clavicle meet (top of the shoulder near where the trap muscle connects to it).
I stupidly kept lifting thinking "I'm 19 - I shouldn't be injured enough to have to change my lifting". Eventually, it got so bad that I couldn't sleep on my left side or carry my back-pack on that shoulder.
I did physical therapy with like 4 different PT's. Had an X-ray and MRI. Had some cortisone shots (those are nice). The DR's didn't find anything - said it was in my head or some sh*t.
The only thing that helped was taking LOTS of time off for upper body (couldn't even workout arms with out my shoulder bothering me). I mean like 2 years or so. I lost all of my mass in my upper body (wasn't much at the time - had maybe gotten up to the mid 140 lbs range). Sorta what I looked like - the "before" photos

Needless to say, when I felt the pain last week - I was instantly pretty worried. I know my body pretty well and pay attention after that shoulder injury - and this doesn't appear to be good. (Meaning I think the Dr's will end up finding nothing and I'll be left to stop lifting weights upper body for a good length of time - I'm not interested in "working through" this and keep lifting. I'm not a competitive bodybuilder or something like that.)

I went to my doc - he took an X-ray and didn't see anything. He's working with insurance to get an MRI.

Meanwhile - I'm looking for suggestions. The only thing I could come up with to speed healing is IGF.
Or maybe pGH.
Would Aflutop help? Or is that more joint issues? (This seems like a problem in the muscle maybe - but I'm not honestly sure.)
I've got some Super Cissus RX that I've been taking at 3 caps/day - been meaning to ask USP if he thinks that is enough.

Thanks a ton for any help.
:frustrate

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say double the dose of Cissus. It is most likely a connective tissue deal, especially if you hurt it doing flat bench. I can't do flat bench because of my shoulder and my problem is with the labrum. The forces on my shoulder during BP are too much and I have stopped trying because it is not worth it to me.

F

fil3113

Awards
This sounds like the same exact problem/pain I've had for the last 7 months... the only thing I've found that helps at all is extensive shoulder warmups. I do almost 1/2 hour of warm-ups on my shoulders alone whenever training upper body. It kinda sucks and it seems to take forever, but it helps immensely. Icing the shoulder seems to help a bit as well.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses.

I don't honestly know what I injured it on Rod. I felt it on incline bench - but I tested in flat bench flys - and still hurt there.

I need to start icing it. I keep forgetting to do that.

I

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps you bench technique is not proper. If you are incorporating the delts a lot, then you are benching incorrectly.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
You may have hooked acromions, which usually can be diagnosed via plain film - usually your orthopaedic doc can inform you. For the most part, those with type 2-3 acromions should avoid any of the incline presses, military presses, dips, behind the next presses because of the angle and stress you end up putting on your rotator cuff. Dips especially are good for those that liek to see doctors often (quoted by 5 colleagues of mine - they see way too many injuries, even in seasoned athletes) I would make sure you are seeing an orthopaedic surgeon rather than a PCP to better address this.

The best solution is to shut it down for a bit, rest, ice and physical therapy. Just some thoughts - it certainly merits good ortho follow up given the chronicity of it.

I also posted this in the supp section - so you can post either recommended supplements or exercises here or there.
Thanks.

I realized mid-week last week that something is wrong with my right shoulder when doing a chest workout.

I had pain sorta in the uppper mid-delt region - near where the muscles attach to the joint. Also had some in the rear delt area.
My right shoulder was REALLY weak compared to my left (may have been because of the pain - which isn't bad, but definately noticeable).

This sucks - just majorly sucks.

I did something to my left shoulder back late in high school ('99) - had pain where the Acromium and clavicle meet (top of the shoulder near where the trap muscle connects to it).
I stupidly kept lifting thinking "I'm 19 - I shouldn't be injured enough to have to change my lifting". Eventually, it got so bad that I couldn't sleep on my left side or carry my back-pack on that shoulder.
I did physical therapy with like 4 different PT's. Had an X-ray and MRI. Had some cortisone shots (those are nice). The DR's didn't find anything - said it was in my head or some sh*t.
The only thing that helped was taking LOTS of time off for upper body (couldn't even workout arms with out my shoulder bothering me). I mean like 2 years or so. I lost all of my mass in my upper body (wasn't much at the time - had maybe gotten up to the mid 140 lbs range). Sorta what I looked like - the "before" photos

Needless to say, when I felt the pain last week - I was instantly pretty worried. I know my body pretty well and pay attention after that shoulder injury - and this doesn't appear to be good. (Meaning I think the Dr's will end up finding nothing and I'll be left to stop lifting weights upper body for a good length of time - I'm not interested in "working through" this and keep lifting. I'm not a competitive bodybuilder or something like that.)

I went to my doc - he took an X-ray and didn't see anything. He's working with insurance to get an MRI.

Meanwhile - I'm looking for suggestions. The only thing I could come up with to speed healing is IGF.
Or maybe pGH.
Would Aflutop help? Or is that more joint issues? (This seems like a problem in the muscle maybe - but I'm not honestly sure.)
I've got some Super Cissus RX that I've been taking at 3 caps/day - been meaning to ask USP if he thinks that is enough.

Thanks a ton for any help.
:frustrate

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Thanks DD.

I didn't push my PCP for a visit to an ortho - figure I'll give him a bit more time.
But - I know I have to go to someone like that.
I'll wait until the MRI, then tell him I want to see an ortho.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
For the most part - a pcp will read the report to you - an ortho will ask for the actual xrays and sit with you while they are reviewed as well as examine oyur passive adn active range of motion - which can usually tell alot more than an xray can, almost as much as an mri.

Cheers!

Thanks DD.

I didn't push my PCP for a visit to an ortho - figure I'll give him a bit more time.
But - I know I have to go to someone like that.
I'll wait until the MRI, then tell him I want to see an ortho.

D

donk

Awards
Stretching and light rotator cuff work should help the majority of shoulder problems.

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Stretching and light rotator cuff work should help the majority of shoulder problems.
Rotator Cuff Exercises -- familydoctor.org

As for stretching, I read on another board wich I cant find right now, that a great way to stretch the shoulders, is to get a beach towel, roll it up and hold it at the ends, hold it infront of you at a straight angle and put it over your head slowly, gripping it tight, work your way to behind your back, make a semi circle and dont go too low behind your back, do as many as you can(slowly) until you wanna choke someone with the towel, do 1 set every day or 2nd day, and slowly work your way to a slightly more narrow grip.
When I read about this everyone on the forum was making it out to be some great secret exercise, naturaly I was abit suspicious of its safety as there was some debate over it, so when I saw a physiotherapist I told her about the excercise and she said it was fine, although I am not saying its ok for you jmh80, maybe something you might wanna bring up with your ortho.

Last edited:
jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I've seen that before - I think LACbodybuilder posted it.
Not sure that's a good idea at this point - considering the shoulder just woke me up with pain. :wtf:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Qonix Weight Loss 4
S Anabolics 10
A Anabolics 0
jmh80 Supplements 10