Wanting to try HVT training muscles more than once a week training

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
Well I've been doing HIT for a while,and now I'm ready to switch things up to keep them fresh. I'm looking to try something more along the lines or Arnolds workout where he worked out in a high volume 6-10 failure rep range and worked a body part more than once a week

I was thinking possibly... this is just the layout don't know the exercises yet
only thing is I don't want to do...chest and back on same day...or back and legs on same day
Still trying to figure out if i want to workout on Saturday's yet or not...

Monday/Friday
Back

Wed
Legs/Shoulders

Tuesday/Thursday
Chest/Arms (incorporate some supersetting of bi's and tri's)

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Monday/Friday
Back

Wed
Legs/Shoulders

Tuesday/Thursday
Chest/Arms (incorporate some supersetting of bi's and tri's)

with indirect work, that actually translates to...

Monday- bi's
tuesday- bi's tri's
wednesday-tri's
thursday- bi's/tri's
friday- bi's

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Wanting to try High Volume Training training muscles more than once a week training"

Right.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Mullet... haha... what a Di©k

If your going to hit muscles more than 1x a week I would say try a push/pull/leg split.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
i just dont like the push/pull/leg workout any suggestions?

b/c on back day i do back thickness/back width so it takes me a while to finish

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently doing a 3x3 routine and lovin' it. 4 workouts each with one push and one pull exercise, I'm throwing in calf raises at the end of the workout aswell.

Just keep in mind that Arnold was a freak, training like he did would mean overtraining.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently doing a 3x3 routine and lovin' it. 4 workouts each with one push and one pull exercise, I'm throwing in calf raises at the end of the workout aswell.

Just keep in mind that Arnold was a freak, training like he did would mean overtraining.
u never know...maybe i could be the next freak for training...anyone could be why be afraid to try?

I'm looking to be able to work my back/chest/arms more than once a week...not just indirectly either

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
man thats hst... one way is a full body workout on lets say mwf or you can split it if you have more time like and and do chest, shoulders bi's, tris on mwf and back and legs on t/th/sat.

i know you work bis with back. but when you only do two to three sets of direct bi work the overflow isn't that bad... plus my arms are still growing..

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
I used to do a variation of what you wrote, just better placed regarding arms.

Mon - Chest/Tri/Shoulder
Tues - Back/Bi
Wed - Legs
Thurs - Chest/Tri/Shoulder
Fri - Back/Bi
Sat - HIIT

But I made sure to switch up the targeted muscles and the volume. For instance, monday was my heavy BB bench day, doing as many sets as necessary to hit my max weight @5 reps. Monday has little accessory tricept/shoulder work, so its focused on chest instead of on arms.

Thursday, however, has a lighter chest day (usually woudl do close grip and flies but much fewer sets) with more direct arm/shoulder work.

Tues/Fri echoed the same things. On this program, however, I could not incorporate deadlifts due to a partial hamstring tear; if one were to do deadlifts I'm not sure where you would do them other than Friday.

Suffice to say I no longer do that program; lifting 5 days in a row steadily got me towards overtraining.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
i was thinking maybe doing it like this..
Monday:
BB bench Chest/Triceps

Tuesday:
Back Thickness/Biceps

Wed:
Legs/Shoulders

Thursday:
Back width/Biceps

Friday:
DB benches chest maybe?/Triceps

and then maybe slowly go into full HVT...of adding back thickness/back width together and not switching my chest routines

or i might try my original setup for a week and see if i can handle it

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
my man what ever works for you.. i'm an hst believer. I've done the hit worked out at mentzer's gym tried it all. if it's working for you and you are still growing then don't change it. if not look into what cdb has said, he won't do you wrong...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
has someone been reading the encylcopedia?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I know what you mean. Just don't take it for gospel...

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
i dont know if i want to put chest/back on the same day...or back/arms on the same day? which would be more ...smart?

Monday/Thursday
Chest/Shoulders

Tuesday/Friday
Back/arms

Wed
Legs/Calves

or...

Monday/Thursday
Chest/Arms

Tuesday/Thursday
Back/Shoulders

Wed
Legs/Calves

or...lalala...

Monday/Thursday
Chest/Back

Tuesday/Friday
Shoulders/Arms

Wed
Legs Calves

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
Monday/Thursday
Chest
BB Bench 3 sets: 1 warmup set of 15 reps
-Fail between 8-12 Reps

BB Incline Bench 3 sets
-Fail between 8-12 Reps

Partial Bottom Flyes 2 Sets
-Fail between 6-10 Reps

Partial Top Flyes 2 Sets
-Fail between 6-10 Reps

Pullovers 3 Sets
-Fail between 12-15 Reps

** Every Third Workout Switch BB with DB

Back
Dead Lift 2 Sets: Heavy Set, Light Set
-(4-6), (8-12)

BB Rows 3 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

T-Bar Rows 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-12 Reps

Pull Ups 5 Sets
-Fail Each Set

Pull downs 3 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Lat Pull Downs 3 Sets
-Fail Between 12-15 Reps

Tuesday/Friday
Shoulders
Behind the Neck Press 3 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Lateral Raises 3 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Bent Over Lateral Raises 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-10 Reps

Front Raises 3 Sets
-Fail Between 10-15 Reps

Shrugs 1 Set
-Straight Set

Arms
BB Curls 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-12 Reps

Preacher Curls 3 Sets
- Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Incline DB Curls 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-8 Reps

Concentration Curls 2 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Skull Crushers 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-10 Reps

Triceps Pressdown 3 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Bench Dips 1 Set
-45 lbs. added 20+ Reps

Wednesday
Quads
Squat 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-10 Reps

Leg Press 2 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Leg Ext. 3 Sets
-Fail Between 12-15 Reps

Hamstrings
SLDL 3 Sets
-Fail Between 6-10 Reps

Leg Curls 3 Sets
-Fail Between 8-12 Reps

Calves
Seated Raises 3 Sets
-Reps of 10-12

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Damn, that is a lot of volume. More is not always better.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
Damn, that is a lot of volume. More is not always better.
i've done two days of this so far...i'm feeling pretty good about it "so" far we will see how it goes for me

a little slow today though b/c mentally i wasnt all there...troubles with the g/f...:(

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
hey east,

i used to train like you did because i thought i had to... 2 years ago i trained with similar volume to what you put just above this post, if not more sometimes... sure i got great pumps (which i thought were the be all end all of workouts), and was really sore, but i wasn't growing very much.... this was partially due to a beginner-style thinking as far as diet goes, but i attribute a lot of this to my training...

i was always trying to push myself to the brink over and over again, fitting as much volume as i possibly could into a workout, hitting bodyparts often etc. etc.

funny thing is that if i happened to miss a workout or two, i found that i would feel a lot fuller after this time off, and look a little bigger even... basically i was giving my body the rest it deserved/required, even though i didn't realize it at the time....

when i switched to a smarter style workout this past september, with reasonable volume, and adequate time off for rest (growth), i found it very hard to get past the mental block i had about it not being enough, and i was wasting away while i wasn't in the gym... moral of the story is, the gains i made in the 2 or 3 months to follow were much more substantial than what i would make in a 7-8 month period on the super high volume i used to do...

i'm not trying to sound like an old man, cause im barely 2 years older than you... but seriously i wish i hadn't wasted so much time from when i was 18 until i was 20 with my stupid extreme volume training...

i strongly recommend not doing the above split that you posted, i can personally guarantee you that you will not look like arnold with a workout like that, take the others advice and go with a more reasonable volume style workout

whew.....[/rant]

Well ive done DC training..HIT training but i've never done HVT like this so i thought i would give it a try...

yes i've also done split body upper...lower body workouts too

EvilGenius

Awards
HVT is not something that you want to do very long. It may help you build more capillaries if used for very short periods of time but I dont think that HVT would be beneficial to you yet. What the encyclopedia isnt telling you is that Arnold was eating Dianabol like candy. I know the encyclopedia says that he doesnt condone the use of steroids but HE DID USE THEM. So HVT may work for you IF you are taking your fair share of anabolics, IF you are doing nothing but resting and eating during the times you are not training, and you have great genetics. I believe you said you were growing with your previous workouts....If it isnt broke, then dont fix it.

EvilGenius

Awards
I completely agree with the less is more motto in the gym...My workouts are short and intense until contest time and I add a couple of isolation movements to my basics...but thats the highest volume I do.