Squat depth?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    LMAO so true!

the dumbell / preacher curl section is always packed out with the 2 flat, 2 incline and 1 decline bench presses also busy with guys throwing on at least 80 pounds more than they can bench with 2 mates standing either side helping them get it up (not even full ROM)

haha love it

2 squat racks are always empty, its the empty corner i love it! all my workouts from military press, bent over rows, t-bars, squats, deads, pullups and dips are done in that one corner... other side of the gym 15 people... mine 1 or 2
    Lol. The racks are always empty at my gym as well. There are only a few people at my gym that ever do squats. It's kind of sad really.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Nah, I'm weak. I'm trying to get used to a wider stance. Only did 225x10 for like 3 sets of 10.
    I love how mr. biceps and Mr. pecs look at you like your crazy for doing squats or deads while there curling. If they ask I just show them my biceps an that they came from doing 6 sets for biceps and not 15.
  3. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    I love how mr. biceps and Mr. pecs look at you like your crazy for doing squats or deads while there curling. If they ask I just show them my biceps an that they came from doing 6 sets for biceps and not 15.
    True!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

depth is key!!! i go as far down as i can go before its impossible to push the weight back up. the speed also important; keep it slow.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    ^ Who cares what the idiots in the gym do. They aren't bodybuilders they're weightlifters. You in person might not care about legs but you'll look stupid walking around with a huge upper body and tiny lower body. If nothing else it will effect your athletic ability.

I guess if you're only training to look pretty then legs don't matter much cuz the girls don't see them.... much. But calves will especially look weird if you have a huge upper body and little calves.
    I was sarcastic. I said that to imply the fact that he shouldn't care how other people squat incorrectly. I was a bit vague though.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Answers

I was just saying in general.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

i don't get a good workout from squats unless i go as low as i can. i don't quite go to the point where calves meet hams but definitely lower than parallel.

full ROM is definitely vital when squatting.

i also start with low rep/heavy sets and finish with high rep/lighter set to ensure i get good pump.
  8. Future

I think anyone should go in a comfortable range of motion starting out. Explore the depth at some point. I personally like to go very deep but that is me. Unless you are a powerlifter I wouldnt worry that much about it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squat depth
    By chainsaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
  2. box squat depth
    By EC1023 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. Bench/Squat max
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat