Squat depth?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Doing any less than parallel is dangerous for the knees and lower back. Parallel is as deep as you should go for powerlifting. Deeper should be used in bodybuilding.


  2. yeah deeper hits hamstrings and glutes more. I go ass to ground . I have done parallel which I can use more weight, I like the controlled ass to ground the best. feels real manly when you go all out with heavy weights, good form, and legs sore a few days after.
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness
    •   
       


  3. It also depends on what works best for your goals. I have more powerlifting type goals, but wide stanced heavy squats makes my legs grow as well as get stronger.

  4. yeah stance matters I can do more wide stanced cause Ive practiced a while. plus I have wide strong hips not the greatest for bodybuilding and have learned to increase backwidth and shoulders and legs to make the illusion appear better than the hips. anyways yeah close stance hits the outer quads , wide stance inner.
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

  5. Quote Originally Posted by earthdog View Post
    What is the proper/safe squat depth? I was taught to go all the way down, but most of the guys I see squatting in the gym barely go 1/3 of the way down. Is there a danger to one's knees or back by going too low? That is, assuming you are already injury-free.
    Most of the guys in the gym train only arms and chest so why do you care about legs?
    •   
       


  6. ^ Who cares what the idiots in the gym do. They aren't bodybuilders they're weightlifters. You in person might not care about legs but you'll look stupid walking around with a huge upper body and tiny lower body. If nothing else it will effect your athletic ability.

    I guess if you're only training to look pretty then legs don't matter much cuz the girls don't see them.... much. But calves will especially look weird if you have a huge upper body and little calves.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    Most of the guys in the gym train only arms and chest so why do you care about legs?
    I normally work out in the afternoon and there were some guys like this but not all. I went at like 7:30pm last night and it was a bicep curl/bench press bonanza. I've never seen so many people do so few exercises. Who would think with like 50 people in a medium sized free weight room, the 2 squat racks would be open the entire hour I was in there.

  8. And then you started squating like 500lbs I hope? That'd just cap it off nicely.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    And then you started squating like 500lbs I hope? That'd just cap it off nicely.
    Nah, I'm weak. I'm trying to get used to a wider stance. Only did 225x10 for like 3 sets of 10.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I normally work out in the afternoon and there were some guys like this but not all. I went at like 7:30pm last night and it was a bicep curl/bench press bonanza. I've never seen so many people do so few exercises. Who would think with like 50 people in a medium sized free weight room, the 2 squat racks would be open the entire hour I was in there.

    LMAO so true!

    the dumbell / preacher curl section is always packed out with the 2 flat, 2 incline and 1 decline bench presses also busy with guys throwing on at least 80 pounds more than they can bench with 2 mates standing either side helping them get it up (not even full ROM)

    haha love it

    2 squat racks are always empty, its the empty corner i love it! all my workouts from military press, bent over rows, t-bars, squats, deads, pullups and dips are done in that one corner... other side of the gym 15 people... mine 1 or 2

  11. Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    LMAO so true!

    the dumbell / preacher curl section is always packed out with the 2 flat, 2 incline and 1 decline bench presses also busy with guys throwing on at least 80 pounds more than they can bench with 2 mates standing either side helping them get it up (not even full ROM)

    haha love it

    2 squat racks are always empty, its the empty corner i love it! all my workouts from military press, bent over rows, t-bars, squats, deads, pullups and dips are done in that one corner... other side of the gym 15 people... mine 1 or 2
    Lol. The racks are always empty at my gym as well. There are only a few people at my gym that ever do squats. It's kind of sad really.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Nah, I'm weak. I'm trying to get used to a wider stance. Only did 225x10 for like 3 sets of 10.
    I love how mr. biceps and Mr. pecs look at you like your crazy for doing squats or deads while there curling. If they ask I just show them my biceps an that they came from doing 6 sets for biceps and not 15.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    I love how mr. biceps and Mr. pecs look at you like your crazy for doing squats or deads while there curling. If they ask I just show them my biceps an that they came from doing 6 sets for biceps and not 15.
    True!

  14. depth is key!!! i go as far down as i can go before its impossible to push the weight back up. the speed also important; keep it slow.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    ^ Who cares what the idiots in the gym do. They aren't bodybuilders they're weightlifters. You in person might not care about legs but you'll look stupid walking around with a huge upper body and tiny lower body. If nothing else it will effect your athletic ability.

    I guess if you're only training to look pretty then legs don't matter much cuz the girls don't see them.... much. But calves will especially look weird if you have a huge upper body and little calves.
    I was sarcastic. I said that to imply the fact that he shouldn't care how other people squat incorrectly. I was a bit vague though.

  16. I was just saying in general.

  17. i don't get a good workout from squats unless i go as low as i can. i don't quite go to the point where calves meet hams but definitely lower than parallel.

    full ROM is definitely vital when squatting.

    i also start with low rep/heavy sets and finish with high rep/lighter set to ensure i get good pump.
  18. Future
    Future's Avatar

    I think anyone should go in a comfortable range of motion starting out. Explore the depth at some point. I personally like to go very deep but that is me. Unless you are a powerlifter I wouldnt worry that much about it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Squat depth
    By chainsaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM
  2. box squat depth
    By EC1023 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
  3. Bench/Squat max
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. In Depth Protein Breakdown
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 11:53 PM
  5. In Depth Look on Modern Day AAS Cycling
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Log in
Log in