O/T stretching for bodybuilding

whale

Awards

<P class=MsoNormal>Stretching for bodybuilding is quite different than you might imagine.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>As for what to do and what not to do there are a couple of rules.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>1.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Never stretch during exercise.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>It is counterproductive in what you are trying to achieve.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I would say that stretching during exercise not only hurts your gains but is also potentially dangerous as you have just activated the actin myosin bridging which shrinks the muscle.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Stretching during exercise elongates the muscle thus loosing the whole effect of shorting it in the first place.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Imagine a rubber band that has been frozen(shrunk) then heated(elongated)<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>were is the rubber band now?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>At its same length, not good for muscle tension and the final goal of strengthening the muscle.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>2.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The next is after you warm up a short stretch can be administered but is not 100% necessary.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>What you really need to concentrate on is the post stretch or no stretch at all after working out.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I vote for the post stretch.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Anyway if you are going to stretch after make sure you start at the bottom and work up. This is key to stretching effectively.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>It is like building blocks starting with the bottom and working up.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Each muscle and tendon and ligament is supported by the one bellow it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>This is not a difficult theory if you think about it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>3.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Always stretch for 30-60 seconds.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Yes this can be long and drawn out but the truth is you are only stretching muscle if you do less than this and you want to stretch tendons and ligaments well tendons really.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>So a good rule of thumb is 45 sec.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Also never go over a min not worth it either.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>All this being said I feel that honestly if you want to be more flexible you need to stretch every day and that is a fact… everyday. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>By the way best time to stretch is after a message or after being in a hot tubor something warm all over.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Worst time during exercise and def when your body is cold.
<P class=MsoNormal> 
<P class=MsoNormal> 
<P class=MsoNormal>whale

"THE TICK"

Awards
:confused:
hmmmm... man this is interesting information. i am not going 2 say i disagree w/ u cause i am not on this forum to engage n debate. i will say that i stretch the muscles i am working, albeit mildly, because i believe it increases the blood flow. this of course has multiple benefits. let's take chest 4 example. between my 2warmupsets, i will mildly stretch. between my 2 main sets 2 failure i will moderately stretch, but also discreetly contract the chest, squeeze hard, and i feel the increased blood flow resulting n
1 HECK OF A FREAKIN PUMP!!!!! i , 4 1 , am glad u shared the info. it is informative & useful.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Whale. I have been implementing this theory since we chatted about it.

true_c

Awards
hey man good info, i've been doin this for a while now, but its nice to finally see the good stuff in writing

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
If you really want to get your stretch on, try Bikram Yoga.

26 postures and 100+ degree room.....

DarCSA

Awards
Good read whale. I will try this out today when I hit the gym. I have seen a lot of people streching while midst of their workout and continue to see it. I will see how it works.