Best Books for developing training programs?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys what are everyone's opinions for the best books out there for developing your own training programs?

I have been lifting for about 17 years but feel I have gotten stagnant. I also have taken some time off from lifting but because of some achilles tendon problems my exercise is limited to stationary bike and lifting (all body parts are fine to lift for except calves while rehabing). So I am interested in putting together a performance based periodization training program to take me through until May with some good progress. Either one macro cycle till then (approx 4 mo) or 2 smaller macro cycles. I want to really focus on performance and composition changes (to develop maximum strength for body weight) rather then straight muscle growth.

Thoughts or book suggestions would be appreciated?

Mr.50

JBeck

Awards
mass-training tactics by steve holman is a great book

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only book I have is the Arnold book. I like it.

KevinConn

KevinConn

Awards
531 Forever. Enough training programs and knowledge in their for life.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
apparently everyone missed the OP posted this in...

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oops. I rarely look at post dates, just saw it on the timeline as I was scrolling through. Either way, I still recommend that book for anyone interested in the science behind training adaptation and program design.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
apparently everyone missed the OP posted this in...

True, but I think we should have a thread dedicated to books on training and such. I've read most of the books mentioned here and I believe some were better than others but it is more important to have a variety of knowledge in difference aspects.

Kaki

Kaki

Awards
The Muscle and Strength Pyramid Training by Eric Helms. Quite interesting and easy to read so you can build your own programs based on progressive overload and periodisation. It takes a lot of time and work to build and choose the correct exercises..... So I went to Shortcuts to Size of Jim Stoppani that is ready. The only other need is some modifications.