I need Shoulder help

xtatic

Awards
shoulders seem to be my weakest. i always do a variation of military press (barbell, dumbell, arnolds etc.) but that focuses on the front part of my shoulders which gets a lot of attentcion on other days.

i am wondering what are some great workouts for your side and rear delts, that way giving me stronger shoulders as well as a broader back.

thank you.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
lateral raises, upright rows - side delt

face pulls, rear lateral raises - posterior delt

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
If you hit delts once a week, try this

A)
Barbell shoulder press 3 sets
Glass laterals 3 sets
Rear delt raises 2 sets (they get decent work on back day too)

b)
DB military press 3 sets
Glass laterals 3 sets
reverse pec dec flys 2 sets

xtatic

Awards
can i get some instructions on the

rear delt raises
Glass laterals
reverse pec dec flys
face pulls

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
My bad i forgot about this post

rear delt raises- I like to do these on an incline bench to keep myself honest. While standing, lean face first on an anjustable bench that is slightly steeper than you would use for incline bench press. Hold arms straight out infront of you with dumbells. Raise dumbells untill your arms are straight, bending only at the shoulder. (Although a slight bend in the elbows is recomended)

Glass laterals- Just like side laterals except that instead of having your palms facing you, have your thumb facing you. at the end of this rep, your thumbs should be the closest finger to the ground. You must use lower weight, but this hits the side delts twice as well as normal laterals. In addition, the range of motion may be a little bit less, so only go as far as your shoulder joint allows you.

Reverse pec dec flys- You need a pec deck where you grasp 2 paralell poles instead of one that has forearm pads. The machine will have instructions on it if you have one. Basically sit opposite the way you would for pec dec's and have the machine set so that the poles are infront of you when you are facing opposite the way you would for pec dec's. Bring your arms back ONLY untill they are straight along side you, as going farther is bad for the shoulder.

Face pulls- Not a huge fan of these but here you are Face Pulls

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Charles Glass is the fvckin' man... smart mofo when it comes to working your muscles efficiently. (regarding Glass Laterals)

foggia

foggia

Awards
For side delts I would do some one arm at a time side lateral raises leaning on an incline bench. This was a personal favorite of Arnold, and a very effective way to isolate the side delt. Cable/dumbell side laterals, upright rows also are good for side delts. I would actually start my workout with rear delts first, as developing this small muscle can make a HUGE difference in the appearance, strength, and size of your shoulders. Working the rear delts first when they are fresh using bent over rear laterals and high cable crossover pulls, along with rear pec dec will make your rear delts pop out and make your whole shoulder look like giant baseballs. I focused on my rear delts first and drastically increased my poundages on my presses in a matter of weeks. Also working the rear delts will help protect against rotator cuff problems/imbalance problems. Hope this helps, keep pumpin:dl:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All great suggestions and I second the glass comment.

xtatic

Awards
My bad i forgot about this post

rear delt raises- I like to do these on an incline bench to keep myself honest. While standing, lean face first on an anjustable bench that is slightly steeper than you would use for incline bench press. Hold arms straight out infront of you with dumbells. Raise dumbells untill your arms are straight, bending only at the shoulder. (Although a slight bend in the elbows is recomended)

Glass laterals- Just like side laterals except that instead of having your palms facing you, have your thumb facing you. at the end of this rep, your thumbs should be the closest finger to the ground. You must use lower weight, but this hits the side delts twice as well as normal laterals. In addition, the range of motion may be a little bit less, so only go as far as your shoulder joint allows you.

Reverse pec dec flys- You need a pec deck where you grasp 2 paralell poles instead of one that has forearm pads. The machine will have instructions on it if you have one. Basically sit opposite the way you would for pec dec's and have the machine set so that the poles are infront of you when you are facing opposite the way you would for pec dec's. Bring your arms back ONLY untill they are straight along side you, as going farther is bad for the shoulder.

Face pulls- Not a huge fan of these but here you are Face Pulls
sorry im having a little bit of a problem seeing the rear delt raise.

i lay face first on a steep incline bench with my feet on the ground (almost as if im humping the bench). start point is my arms straight out, lateral to the floor, at eye level. then i raise them straight up till they are straight over my head and lower again?

seems like a grueling excersize. low weight obviously? i like it.

my main problem is rear delts i need to get them developed.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
While your beating the hell out of your shoulders, just try make sure you keep your rhomboids and rotator cuffs strong, and that you maintain scapular control.
You dont want a shoulder injury, and its all too easy to get one.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
While your beating the hell out of your shoulders, just try make sure you keep your rhomboids and rotator cuffs strong, and that you maintain scapular control.
You dont want a shoulder injury, and its all too easy to get one.
word to your momma.