Going Heavy On Legs ?

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
If you are doing a heavy leg day and don't have access to a spotter or a rack would you...

A. Squat heavy using the Smith machine

or

B. Go heavy using the Leg Press machine

or

C. Both

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you not have a squat rack where you can set the pins to catch the weight if you are unable to finish the rep?

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Unfortunately not. Church gym with a lot of machines and free weights but no rack.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If those are the only choices, then I would say C. Smith machine squatting is better than no squatting IMO and you don't need a spotter to leg press heavy.

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Thanks for the input that's kind of what I was thinking.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I would say B, because when doing Smith Squats your body does not move in the natural Squat arch,:squat: setting you up for injuries.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I would say B, because when doing Smith Squats your body does not move in the natural Squat arch,:squat: setting you up for injuries.
Tell me about it...my local gym only has a smith machine for squats and it kills my love of squatting. Plus it just plain feels weird.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I only use the smith machine for squatting when I'm supersetting it with something else like hack squats and then just repping out on smith with my feet forward. Do you guys think the same thing is true about front squatting on a smith machine, because that seems like a better option if you just have a smith and no rack?

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I only use the smith machine for squatting when I'm supersetting it with something else like hack squats and then just repping out on smith with my feet forward. Do you guys think the same thing is true about front squatting on a smith machine, because that seems like a better option if you just have a smith and no rack?
That's better. I like to do one legged lunges on the Smith alternating feet forward. I wouldn't Squat heavy with it though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do my front Squats on the Smith, it's simply much easier to hold the bar in place and really focus on the legs. Like Mach though, I'd never heavy squat on that thing.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
front squats or lunges on smith, heavy leg press.. if that is your only options.

Or you can go for option X... go to a new gym.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Heavy Front squats on the smith machine and heavy leg presses. Also heavy barbell step ups are great as well.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I read somewhere where the Belgian squatters do mostly heavy step ups in preparation for World Class Squats.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I read that same article and now I do HEAVY step ups and love em, the gym i work for has an adjustable step up bench which is VERY useful for these. Don't shy away from heavy weights on these 200lbs+ is good.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
How about one legged exercises, they challenge the body, use low weight, prevent muscle imbalances, and are easy to do. I love me some one legged leg press and one legged quad ext puts a way different spin on the whole dealy.

fil3113

Awards
I've actually squatted heavy on a smith before, and I DO NOT recommend it. My knees and back were tweaked for about 2 weeks... I'd just squat moderate on the smith and then some heavy leg presses, or take option x as mentioned earlier.

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, heavy squats on a Smith machine does not feel natural. Actually, even front and 1 legged squats don't feel right.

deadikated

Awards
  • Established
I don't mean to freak anyone out here...but a guy tried heavy squats on the smith at our gym once and busted. Only thing is he didn't set any blockers or anything to catch the weight and it flew down crushing his ankles and shifting them 90 degrees to the side. I almost threw up when I saw it.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
You guys have probably all seen Pumping Iron. Remember the part where Arnold and his buddy(forget his name) are doing heavy squats and his buddy just collapses/passes out, with some heavy weight on his shoulders? I was like Holy:jaw: . That's some intensity right there. Arnold used to throw up when he did legs, from what I've heard.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lol- I dont remember a guy passing out WITH the weights on his shoulders,.. I thought it was right after he racked his weights.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
lol- I dont remember a guy passing out WITH the weights on his shoulders,.. I thought it was right after he racked his weights.
No, Your right. It's been awhile since I've seen it.