deltoid advice

  1. Registered User
    calidood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0

    deltoid advice


    I am a pretty small guy. 5'9 about 160. Probably 12-13% bodyfat. Despite being pretty small all over, a bodypart I notice lagging a lot is the deltoids (among others, but I'll deal with those later). I have problems with my shoulders pretty often when I work out. I hurt my rotator cuff a while back and my shoulder has never been the same. Although both shoulders have problems when working out. I was wondering what the best exercises would be for putting some mass on my delts. Maybe someone has some advice for what has worked for them?

  2. Registered User
    Jameson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    26
    Answers
    0


    If you already have shoulder problems I'd advise you to fix them now before worrying about how big they are. Make sure you balance your pushing movements (all forms of benching and overhead pressing) with enough pulling movements (work for upper back and lats) and internal rotation with external rotation. Don't fall into the trap of mostly working what you can see in the mirror as this leads to muscular imbalances that will make your shoulders worse. I'd also suggest you check out Eric Cressey's three part shoulder saver series if you've never seen it. Just google it. Great stuff.
  3. Registered User
    calidood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jameson
    If you already have shoulder problems I'd advise you to fix them now before worrying about how big they are. Make sure you balance your pushing movements (all forms of benching and overhead pressing) with enough pulling movements (work for upper back and lats) and internal rotation with external rotation. Don't fall into the trap of mostly working what you can see in the mirror as this leads to muscular imbalances that will make your shoulders worse. I'd also suggest you check out Eric Cressey's three part shoulder saver series if you've never seen it. Just google it. Great stuff.
    Thanks. I'll check that out. My back is actually probably my strongest point. Like I said earlier I'm pretty small and don't really have any STRONG body parts. But my back flairs out pretty well and it's probably what I'm strongest at. My shoulders aren't in real bad shape or anything. I should have clarified that. I can just tell in my joints that I did them. A little dull pain after I do shoulder and chest workouts.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ITHURTZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    610
    Answers
    0


    I tore my teres minor in feb, been battling my r/c since then to. I have found cuban rotations to be a HUGE help. I do 4-6 sets on bench day, then shoulder day. Mainly like this

    Bench day
    5min warm up, 2 set cubans, and a diagonal front raise
    135x20 while resting do 1 set cubans
    225x8 1 set cubans
    Then proceed with the rest of the bench sets

    Same thing for shoulders. I am pretty amazed how well my shoulder is going. Recently for bench I did a 315x4 and for seated military 225x5 and not a complain out of the R/C, so I am now a firm beleiver. Cubans for life!

    Oh ya when I first started cubans ( I do them dumbell) I was doing 5 lbs lol, I can safely say after they are warmed up, 15lbs are good for a solid 10 controlled reps

    Oh, and Seated barbell and dumbell military have worked WONDERS for my shoulders. As long as I have someone lift the bar off the rack and hand it to me my arms dont complain. With 100lb dumbells I can get them up myself with no complains either.

    Sorry another ps. On front and side raises dont go above paralell. And in my opinion stray from upright rows, those KILL my rotators no matter how controlled of a form I use

    You can kinda see the delts here


    This would be the best pic I have, forget when, sometime this summer. Not to brag but I beleive they work lol
  5. Registered User
    SHADOW2492's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    112
    Answers
    0


    This is my shoulder routine, I do
    5x5 of dumbell shoulders presses 75 pounds
    super set
    Front+side raises 10 reps 20 pounds 2 sets
    Rear flyes+upright rows???? 2sets of 10 reps weight varies, my shoulders are really starting to fill out.
  6. Registered User
    calidood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ITHURTZ
    I tore my teres minor in feb, been battling my r/c since then to. I have found cuban rotations to be a HUGE help. I do 4-6 sets on bench day, then shoulder day. Mainly like this

    Bench day
    5min warm up, 2 set cubans, and a diagonal front raise
    135x20 while resting do 1 set cubans
    225x8 1 set cubans
    Then proceed with the rest of the bench sets

    Same thing for shoulders. I am pretty amazed how well my shoulder is going. Recently for bench I did a 315x4 and for seated military 225x5 and not a complain out of the R/C, so I am now a firm beleiver. Cubans for life!

    Oh ya when I first started cubans ( I do them dumbell) I was doing 5 lbs lol, I can safely say after they are warmed up, 15lbs are good for a solid 10 controlled reps

    Oh, and Seated barbell and dumbell military have worked WONDERS for my shoulders. As long as I have someone lift the bar off the rack and hand it to me my arms dont complain. With 100lb dumbells I can get them up myself with no complains either.

    Sorry another ps. On front and side raises dont go above paralell. And in my opinion stray from upright rows, those KILL my rotators no matter how controlled of a form I use

    [/IMG]
    Looks good man. I don't think I could ever get that big. Haha. You say no upright rows...aren't cuban's just an upright row and a press? Pretty much a partial clean and press? Maybe you can shed some light on the way that you do the lift. Like how controlled you do it and how you bring it up. I've seen people do barbells but never dumbells on cubans. Although I believe someone said that dumbells were better. Anyways. If you could reply I'd appreciate it. I'm really wanting to try this out.
  7. Registered User
    calidood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SHADOW2492
    This is my shoulder routine, I do
    5x5 of dumbell shoulders presses 75 pounds
    super set
    Front+side raises 10 reps 20 pounds 2 sets
    Rear flyes+upright rows???? 2sets of 10 reps weight varies, my shoulders are really starting to fill out.
    Sounds pretty solid. I do a similar routine already. I usually don't do front raises. Should have specified that my middle head is where I need the most help because my front head is pretty well developed from shoulder press and bench. Also, I try and do somewhat of a rear delt/back row on back day. Think that's ok? I do shoulders and then back the next day and I like to do my rear head on back day as it seems like I work it a lot with pull ups and stuff. My big thing is I wanna get sore. I've lifted on and off for years man but I just could never seem to get my shoulders sore. Maybe noone can, but if possible, the next day I'd like to wake up like "I can't lift my arms!" I get a pretty intense workout but next day man...nothin.
  8. Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    mmowry's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,214
    Answers
    0


    Just because your not sore doesnt necessarily mean your not growing.


    Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths . Proverbs 3:5-6
  9. Avant Research Guru
    Board Sponsor
    Stay Puft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Age
    30
    Posts
    444
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by mmowry
    Just because your not sore doesnt necessarily mean your not growing.
    Agreed, the same can be said about the converse.
  10. Registered User
    ITHURTZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    610
    Answers
    0


    Strong Healthy Shoulders

    i just use dumbells, same form
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Struggling to grow my middle deltoid. Any advice?
    By Batesy in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
  2. cycle advice/greetings
    By semmer in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 12:44 AM
  3. ph newbie needs advice
    By metacat in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 11:24 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2002, 04:55 PM
  5. Need some advice.
    By spoofy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2002, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in