Lats and wide grip pull-ups (bigger in 4 days?)

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Is this possible?.... I have a home gym without the hight for a chin-up/pull-up bar.... Now you have to picture this... I have a Knee Raise / Dip station. What I did was put a wide grip chin-up bar across the front of the station (between the arm wrest and grip handles) and I put my feet at a 45 degree angle and do wide grip pull-ups with my feet resting on the floor.... I have been doing wide grip cable pull downs, close grip cable pull downs, bent over dumbbell rows and dead lifts for years.... Last Saturday I did these wide grip chin-ups 15x3 last Saturday and my lat's have been killing for three days... Actually getting better today... My wife said it looks like my back got wider just from doing that exercises last Saterday not to mention my arms seem to hang out a little farther.... Is this possible?

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
Is this possible?.... I have a home gym without the hight for a chin-up/pull-up bar.... Now you have to picture this... I have a Knee Raise / Dip station. What I did was put a wide grip chin-up bar across the front of the station (between the arm wrest and grip handles) and I put my feet at a 45 degree angle and do wide grip pull-ups with my feet resting on the floor.... I have been doing wide grip cable pull downs, close grip cable pull downs, bent over dumbbell rows and dead lifts for years.... Last Saturday I did these wide grip chin-ups 15x3 last Saturday and my lat's have been killing for three days... Actually getting better today... My wife said it looks like my back got wider just from doing that exercises last Saterday not to mention my arms seem to hang out a little farther.... Is this possible?
Probably not, especially since a wide grip targets the middle/upper back rather than the lats.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Am I missing something?... Gators, scroll down on this site to Chin-ups... Should be the 2nd one down. It looks like it targets the lats to me. I think wide grip would target lats and close grip would target upper/middle back. Back Exercise Routines Big Wide Lats Exercises

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
You just refered to a muscle-tech sight, first mistake. Back works in opposites, the closer the grip the more lats involved, the wider the grip the more upper/middle back in in volved. wide grips do hit your lats but not as much as a neutral or close grip. Also wide grip just messes with your rotator cuff's so i would ditch them, but thats just me.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
You just refered to a muscle-tech sight, first mistake. Back works in opposites, the closer the grip the more lats involved, the wider the grip the more upper/middle back in in volved. wide grips do hit your lats but not as much as a neutral or close grip. Also wide grip just messes with your rotator cuff's so i would ditch them, but thats just me.
Hrmm, that is interesting. The only odd thing is that doing close grip stuff always make the middle of my back sore while wide grip pullups make my lats sore. Also, when you do the actual lifts you can feel the difference and it seems pretty obvious that your lats are flexing more during wide grip pullups then close grip.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Probably not, especially since a wide grip targets the middle/upper back rather than the lats.
WTF are you smoking??? Wide grip tagets your lats more so than other back muscles and biceps and close grip targets your lower lats more.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Hrmm, that is interesting. The only odd thing is that doing close grip stuff always make the middle of my back sore while wide grip pullups make my lats sore. Also, when you do the actual lifts you can feel the difference and it seems pretty obvious that your lats are flexing more during wide grip pullups then close grip.
I've noticed the same.... After doing the wide grip pull-up for the first time, the only thing that was sore for 3 days was the entire lats.... It seems to me that sweeps the hole Latissimus Dorsi .

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I doubt you are "bigger", but the noticable difference is probably because your shoulder position has changed. If I don't stretch for awhile, my shoulder rotate inward and it makes my delts and entire upper bod look smaller.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I doubt you are "bigger", but the noticable difference is probably because your shoulder position has changed. If I don't stretch for awhile, my shoulder rotate inward and it makes my delts and entire upper bod look smaller.
Yeah, that sounds right to me.... They feel fine today and everything's back to normal. I just wonder if some how they got swollen from over working them during a new exercise..... Is it possible to have a 3 day pump... :icon_lol:

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
WTF are you smoking??? Wide grip tagets your lats more so than other back muscles and biceps and close grip targets your lower lats more.

umm there is no such thing as "lats" then "lower lats" you lost your credibility.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
umm there is no such thing as "lats" then "lower lats" you lost your credibility.
You know what I mean smartass!! Upper lats and lower lats ...just like upper chest lower chest. Different machines and angles hit different muscles fiber in a general muscle. Dont try to discredit me just because I corrected you. :FUfinger:

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i started doing wide grip pullups at the begining and end of my workouts about 3-4 times a week and i would do about 3 sets each time so 6 sets total. In 1 month u could see a huge diffrence in the width in my lats. I couldnt believe it. My training partner competes in competitions and his back is huge. he told me thats how he got his back to be that big. Try it for a month i guarantee u will see a big diffrence do about 8-10 wide grip pullups for 3 sets before and after your workout, get as wide as u possibly can. Using wraps while you are hanging helps too.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
i started doing wide grip pullups at the begining and end of my workouts about 3-4 times a week and i would do about 3 sets each time so 6 sets total. In 1 month u could see a huge diffrence in the width in my lats. I couldnt believe it. My training partner competes in competitions and his back is huge. he told me thats how he got his back to be that big. Try it for a month i guarantee u will see a big diffrence do about 8-10 wide grip pullups for 3 sets before and after your workout, get as wide as u possibly can. Using wraps while you are hanging helps too.
Cool, Im starting a PP cycle in three weeks so I'll give it a try.... :woohoo: