Football Specific Program

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.35%

Football Specific Program

I'm in the process of training to walk onto my college football team in 14 months. While I know quite a bit about strength routines and bodybuilding routines, i need something sports specific and where i can incorporate running (plyos, speed work, agility, technique drills) also I need to concentrate more on Core work (this is the area i need help most in, in terms of putting this into a routine, and what exercises do to). I'm looking for a routine that will give me strength as well as explosivness. I like the idea of Westside, which incorporates both of those. However some people say novice or intermediate lifters shouldn't use that program. I'm also wondering about leg recovery, if I'm hitting legs 2x a week in the gym and I want to incorporate 3 days minimun to running (b/c speed is extremly important) I'm worried about recovery. I would like to note that my running sessions are straight and to the point, 45min-1 hour that includes stretching and proper warmup, i'm not talking about running 5-10 miles a day here. Also i have a messed up ankle right now so i can't do a lot of running, i can't even sprint 100% for 30 yards right now, and it's been 5 weeks. I'm basically doing technique stuff now but would like input on where to add agility, speed, plyos etc for when i'm fully healed.

This is just something I'm thinking about right now.

Monday - ME Upper
    Tuesday - DE Lower
    Wednesday - running
    Thursday - DE Upper
    Friday - ME Lower, running
    Sat - off
    Sunday - Running and more core work

Now anytime i do running and lifting on the same day i will most likely split up the sessions. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited. Also tips about cyceling exercises and periodization for this routine would be great.

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.49%

Look at Westside for skinny bastards by Joe Defranco. Its designed for guys who are training for sports, and doing lots of conditioning and plyos and stuff like that.

Jason
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.35%

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Pegg
    Look at Westside for skinny bastards by Joe Defranco. Its designed for guys who are training for sports, and doing lots of conditioning and plyos and stuff like that.

Jason
    Yep I've been looking at that program and I like it, however only being in the gym 3 days a week kinda sucks. I'm thinking I might make it a 5 or 6 day cycle instead of 7. Is there a website that explains some of the exercises he has listed, some of them i dont know how to do as I've never heard of some of them.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.49%

Quote Originally Posted by gators52
    Yep I've been looking at that program and I like it, however only being in the gym 3 days a week kinda sucks. I'm thinking I might make it a 5 or 6 day cycle instead of 7. Is there a website that explains some of the exercises he has listed, some of them i dont know how to do as I've never heard of some of them.
    For the most part, strength training and hypertrophy training are different. If you are looking to get stronger first, I wouldn't alter the program. What exercises dont you understand?

Jason
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.35%

Well I will be taking AAS so recovery will be much improved so thats why i think i could shorten the workout cycle a bit.

The exercises i dont understand are, Standing face pulls, Rope pulls to throat, Pull-throughs, Rolling triceps extensions, Straight arm lat pulldowns (what the difference between that and reg lat pull downs? is that were your arms are extened in front of you and you bring your arms down to your waist keeping the arms straight the whole time?), Zottmann curls,
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.48%

Quote Originally Posted by gators52

gator, the routine is laid out to 7 days for a reason, keep it there.

and you can find it all on google
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.35%

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    gator, the routine is laid out to 7 days for a reason, keep it there.

and you can find it all on google
    You do realize most people that use westside modify it, thats why so many people use it.
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.48%

joe defranco is known around the country for his strength training, athletes from all over the country, pro, college, highschool, go to him for advice. and westside is to be adjusted after you've used it for a period of time, so that way you knwo what works for you and what doesnt. in your situation i would just listen and do whatever that guy would recommend

Similar Forum Threads

1. School Courses Specifically for Women!
    By ManBeast in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM
  2. HST: Hypertrophy Specific Training
    By Lifeguard in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 02:13 AM
  3. removing/adding esters (specifically tren).
    By ManBeast in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 02:25 PM
  4. College Football: Who's a Fan?
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-10-2003, 02:34 PM
  5. my new training program
    By Sanosuke in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 10:58 PM