Lean forward during squat

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by gators52
    I hear people ask the question all the time. I go parallel, but going below parallel seems pointless to me. You have to use less weight and going below parallel doesn't seem as functional at least in terms of athletes. Also going below parallel stresses my back, maybe it's a flexibility issue or bad form when i get that low. For me if your going to go past parallel doing light explosive sets makes more sense, but when going heavy, parallel makes sense.

My definition of parallel is not just a 90 degress angle on your knees, you want your hips to be parallel with your knees.
    hamstrings are extremely important for athletes. why wouldnt you want to strengthen them every way you can?

and nobody can do as much below parallel as they can at or above parallel. it's just basic mechanics. but why wouldnt you want to strengthen your bottom end? you have to be prepared for any situation when being an athlete, you're only as strong as your weakest link.

and gator i just saw a post with you wanting to walk onto your college football team. i know PLENTY of guys who have played in college anda couple that play or have played pro. every single one of them squat below parallel. something you might want to seriously think of

2. We coach our athletes with ATG squats, and Oly movements. They are far superior at building explosive fast twitch muscle fiber. Any athlete would benefit from these movements

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    You'd be surprised at how you can grow on half assed aquats though man. You have to think outside of the competition. There's a guy at my gym with huge legs and can't squat huge numbers but very respectible ones. He squats just above parallel. He's not a competitor but he's very fit and big and in his 50's...He walks better than I do

GFK, you're a Powerlifter who competes. Most of your average people are looking to look good and be decently strong and stay healthy. Believe me when I say i'm not knocking ya or your advice to those in your same field. But a 60% or close to 90% squat ain't doing any harm.
    I see your point J, but imo opinion ATG squats at a light weight to start out with and then increasing over time as you adjust are not only better for you in the long run, but will build more mass as well.

ATG squats can be dangerous, however, if incorporated slowly to allow the body to adjust they will provide a stronger lower back, posterior, knees, ligaments, etc. . . Which will only provide for a better overall physique and aslo injury prevention since the entire range of motion has been strengthened.

4. I still use ATG squats on occassion but at a very low %. My injuries are outside of lifting and in order to continue I had to move a few things around. I still focus on core but through other means that don't tax me so much at that angle. Maybe if I get 100% again, i'll pick those back up.

Of course yo have to factor in that i've had multiple traumas to my lower back.

5. ATG squats can be dangerous, however, if incorporated slowly to allow the body to adjust they will provide a stronger lower back, posterior, knees, ligaments, etc. . . Which will only provide for a better overall physique and aslo injury prevention since the entire range of motion has been strengthened.
    Of course it pays to have people, like you that know what they're doing to teach people the right way.

6. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2

and gator i just saw a post with you wanting to walk onto your college football team. i know PLENTY of guys who have played in college anda couple that play or have played pro. every single one of them squat below parallel. something you might want to seriously think of

I guess i just dont see where going ATG would help in something like football. I will normally do heavy squats parallel and then other days i'll do light weight high rep squats going ATG focusing on explosion. But to me doing high weight at ATG puts no stress on your legs in the top half of the movement. If I had access to chains for ATG squats I think that would be the best.

7. Quote Originally Posted by gators52
    I guess i just dont see where going ATG would help in something like football. I will normally do heavy squats parallel and then other days i'll do light weight high rep squats going ATG focusing on explosion. But to me doing high weight at ATG puts no stress on your legs in the top half of the movement. If I had access to chains for ATG squats I think that would be the best.

atg squats build strength, that's where it helps in football. you are a walk on, you will need every advantage you can get. why wouldnt you do atg squats if numerous college and pro players do them?

8. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    atg squats build strength, that's where it helps in football. you are a walk on, you will need every advantage you can get. why wouldnt you do atg squats if numerous college and pro players do them?
    Yea you will build strength at the bottom of the movement, but by time you get half way up the squat is a breeze. That is why you can do more weight when u go parallel. When in football is your ass ever going to be near the ground in a squat position? Never...b/c if you got that low you could easily fall on your butt.

Also i would love to hear the names of these numerous players you talk about.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gators52
    Yea you will build strength at the bottom of the movement, but by time you get half way up the squat is a breeze. That is why you can do more weight when u go parallel. When in football is your ass ever going to be near the ground in a squat position? Never...b/c if you got that low you could easily fall on your butt.

Also i would love to hear the names of these numerous players you talk about.

dont take the advice and keep being a walkon then

oh and kevin jones used to workout at my gym. never saw him not go ass to grass

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dosing Levithan/Lean Extreme during Epi PCT
    By IRON4LIFE in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM
  2. Levithan and Lean Extreme during PCt
    By IRON4LIFE in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
  3. Pulled? lower back during squats
    By Mach .78 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7