deadlift injuries?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
anybody ever get injured while deadlifting? i did the other night. did 6 reps with 405, which was good for me. just afterwards though i realized something was not well. got a pain the left back almost down in my glute. tried to stretch a little & "walk it off"!, but it was not good. now i'm in post cycle therapy & feel like i ripped something in there. anybody else been there? TIA

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
were you bouncing the weight off the floor?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I hobbled home, curled up in a ball and laid in bed until morning. I was scared I did damage but it faded slowly and I was good to go in a week. Hopefully you just pulled something like I did. Once you heal you may want to think about doing heavy ab work and really concentrating on keeping tight if you don't already.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, pinched down on a nerve HARD trapbar deadlifting about 600. My L4 and L5 were waaaaay out of alignment. Even though I went to the chiro right away, it took the better part of a year to have it stop hurting all the time. It still gets tender if I get out of alignment. Still very gunshy about getting back into deads. Will likely give it a few more months.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys, i'm almost inclined to call this a hip? injury as it is like below the beltline in the left rear & kind of hurts around the side, & around to the front even. i kind of thought the same things, just have to take it easy as possible & wait it out.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
make sure you reset each rep, dont let the weight bounce off the floor. and make sure you do plenty of posterior, ab and hip work

ballzasteel

Awards
hey bio, what did the chiropractor do for your back? Is there anything else you can do for it besides give it time. I think I've done the same thing.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i probably need to reset each rep a little more carefully. i do what i can in a one car garage!

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
I hurt my lower back on the right side, but higher than you are saying, like right in the love handle region, deadlifting. Actually my form was impeccable, I was doing a slow-ish negative and my back just didnt like that.

Fast foward 1 year later. Back still hurts, all the time, mostly on squats when I reach the top 1/4 of the movement (interesting). So I took it easy and started from scratch really. Deadlifting one day my hamstring decides to pop; trainer said it was a bad pull because there was no bruising, but fast foward 8 months and it still bothers me daily. I'm 21.

Needless to say I dont deadlift often anymore. Both injuries continually plague me.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hurt my lower back on the right side, but higher than you are saying, like right in the love handle region, deadlifting. Actually my form was impeccable, I was doing a slow-ish negative and my back just didnt like that.

Fast foward 1 year later. Back still hurts, all the time, mostly on squats when I reach the top 1/4 of the movement (interesting). So I took it easy and started from scratch really. Deadlifting one day my hamstring decides to pop; trainer said it was a bad pull because there was no bruising, but fast foward 8 months and it still bothers me daily. I'm 21.

Needless to say I dont deadlift often anymore. Both injuries continually plague me.
go get ART, they will fix you right up

and dont do negatives on deads. they will do nothing for you other thanhurt you, as you foundout. deadlifts are an explosive movement, basically drop the bar down. no need to lower it slow

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i probably need to reset each rep a little more carefully. i do what i can in a one car garage!
let the weight drop and reset each rep, it's basically like you are doing a single every time.

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
It happend to me once I was deadlifting on the 3rd one i got a real bad pain in my lower back ans i could't staughtern my back out i was sort of like a monkey at the time it was very hard too walk but after a few hours i was ok it has not happend since

Gettinpumped

Gettinpumped

Awards
  • Established
when u guys deadlift is ur back really sore? mine is always sore just not too sure if its normal. I had someone at the gym watch me deadlift and he said I wasnt using any legdrive. He said I wasnt rounding my back just that I needed to use more legs. Can anyone explain how to correctly do them. I always taught I had good form.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
i got lowerback injuries just from football training running and then it sometimes reoccurs when i deadlift you can stretch it out and twist your back do toe touches ice at night and you are good to go

Gettingpumped: at the same time as straightening your back raise with your legs...if it isnt working for you try raising your legs first and then slowly lock out the back just make sure to keep your back straight and abs tight and look up to the mirror infront of you and it might even help to look up to the ceiling

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Head postion definitely helps..like East said..look at the cieling and kinda picture trying to bring your head closer to it.

Practice with an empty bar or light weight until you get the leg action going. I always start my lift by driving up with the legs until my arms/shoulders begin to load up with the wieght. Then tense the whole upper body as you pull upwards with it while still driving with the legs. Assume a good straight posture at the top of the lift and feel the stretch in the lats and back before lowering as controlled as you can.

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
Head postion definitely helps..like East said..look at the cieling and kinda picture trying to bring your head closer to it.

Practice with an empty bar or light weight until you get the leg action going. I always start my lift by driving up with the legs until my arms/shoulders begin to load up with the wieght. Then tense the whole upper body as you pull upwards with it while still driving with the legs. Assume a good straight posture at the top of the lift and feel the stretch in the lats and back before lowering as controlled as you can.
or you could try sumo deadlifts they really do blitz the adductors/abbductors, start with a low weight first.

Gettinpumped

Gettinpumped

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing sumos and they feel a little better for me but I like conventional deads. I was trying to focus on form today using light weight but man was my lower back killing me. I had someone watch me and critique and he said I was doing them fine and not rounding my back. I just dont think Im using my leg drive right. I had my head up, chest out, abs tight, back arched, and I didnt jerk the bar up. Any other helpful tips guys? I will try to get a video of me doing them.

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
Gettinpumped

do you use a belt ? how warmed up are you before lifting?
a back massage before you work out my help it will warm your back up and get the blood flowing.