6/21 training

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Anybody heard of this. Its nothing new, I read about it in a Weider mag many years ago but I just started to implement and have had some decent results.

The basic gist is you do your normal workout but you do four sets for each exercise alternating between heavy and light; your goal reps are 6 and 21. It is suppossed to work both the fast twitch and slow twitch fibers during the same workout. I dismissed it before but decided to give it a shot to mix things up some and it seems to be giving decent results. I am "on" right now so it is hard to judge how some things are working but I will definitely continue this into post.

An example would be
Incline DB Press
1st set: Low weight x21
2nd set: Heavy Weight x6
3rd set: Low weight x21
4th set: Heavy Weight x6

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
iron, nice thought.

are u an ecto? the reason im asking is cuz this might only be for mesos, endos. i would think that ectos need full intensity ALL the time. set to set, rep to rep. although it looks like a descent way too cycle ur workouts and give u a break from the heavy training somewhat.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
I have used a similar program, but with lower reps. You alternate between reps of 6-8 and a single rep max. For example,

Bench
1 x 95%
6-8 x 80%
1 x 95%
6-8 x 80%
1 x 95%
6-8 x 80%

The theory is that you will be able to lift a heavier weight for six reps immediatly following a 1RM. It is mostly a mental response, the weight just feels lighter. The results were actually very good.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
iron, nice thought.

are u an ecto? the reason im asking is cuz this might only be for mesos, endos. i would think that ectos need full intensity ALL the time. set to set, rep to rep. although it looks like a descent way too cycle ur workouts and give u a break from the heavy training somewhat.
Definitely ecto, usually I stay in the 5-7 rep range and go all out. This style of training just mixes heavy weight with a high rep range, the pumps are excellent. You still go heavy, all sets are to failure. If you try it I will forewarn you it hurts, but I consider that to be a good thing.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I have used a similar program, but with lower reps. You alternate between reps of 6-8 and a single rep max. For example,

Bench
1 x 95%
6-8 x 80%
1 x 95%
6-8 x 80%
1 x 95%
6-8 x 80%

The theory is that you will be able to lift a heavier weight for six reps immediatly following a 1RM. It is mostly a mental response, the weight just feels lighter. The results were actually very good.
I have seen something like this before, one of my powerlifting buds showed me, except that the 1 rep max was the antagonist exercise.
Ex.
Bent Over Row
1x95%
Bench
3-5x90%

do the Row wait 20sec then hit the bench

He explained to me why it worked but I cant remember now, it had something to do with the neromuscular system and how it told the antagonist muscles to relax when doing the second set