Shoulders

motleybreu

Awards
What exercises do you guys do for shoulders? Just tryin to get a few new ones to add to my current routine

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1.Lateral raises (with cables or free weights)
2.Military presses
3.Dumbell presses

destro19

destro19

Awards
front military press
arnolds
db press
front and side lat raise superset
behind neck press machine
cuban rotations
front bar raises

motleybreu

Awards
i've heard that behind the neck motions are bad for your neck...anyone else hear that?

destro19

destro19

Awards
ive heard that too. my gym has a behind nck press machine. its hammer. the grips are positiond to immitate bnp without all the pressure of the bar on your neck.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
i've heard that behind the neck motions are bad for your neck...anyone else hear that?
i dont know about the neck specifically but bnp put your shoulder in an unnatural position. it contributed to a rotator cuff tear for me leading to surgery. so i never, ever do any behind the neck exercise, including bnp lat pull downs. i do mil presses, db presses, arnold presses.

dont forget the rear delts...

pinoy

Awards
cuban rotations
db shoulder press
lateral raises
bent over laterals
shrugs
upright rows

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
clean and press
heavy upright rows (10-6-4 repitition)
push press
one set each of DB side/front/rear delt laterals with 20-30 second plate "wheelies" at end of each set.

Sage

drfly

Awards
i actually really like any kinda clean for shoulders, but i've been partial to O lifts lately, cuz there really helping me build explosiveness, which helps with powerlifting also. dont know if ur pure bber, or like me a power bb'er, but if u r like me, u will definitely love the O lifts, especially cleans for shoulders, of course most cleans work more than just shoulders though.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Damn I hate strength hammer machines

Arnold , Military , Cleans and Dumbell Presses, compound all the way baby!

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dont know about the neck specifically but bnp put your shoulder in an unnatural position. it contributed to a rotator cuff tear for me leading to surgery. so i never, ever do any behind the neck exercise, including bnp lat pull downs. i do mil presses, db presses, arnold presses.

dont forget the rear delts...
I injured my rotator cuff exactly like this. Took a long time to heal; but at least did not require surgery. I no longer do behind the neck press, and in fact, don't go real heavy on regular military press. I like some hammer strength machines better than others. If I was going to do behind the neck press, it would only be on a machine like the one destro uses.

Shoulders do not need a lot of sets, and can be overtrained more easily than any other muscle group. But you have to hit the delts from every angle, so just drop the number of total sets, and warm up thoroughly to prevent rotator cuff injury. A lot of pros, like Jeff Everson have totally detroyed their rotator cuff integrity from years of doing heavy benches and military presses.

I do:

lateral raises for middle delt
bent over laterals for rear delt (overlooked by many as msclbldrguy pointed out.)
military press for front delt

I do 3 sets of 10 reps and sometimes 4 sets for rear delts. I do military press last, after I have warmed up thoroughly, as this movement is the hardest on rotators. And if I run out of steam, or feel a bit sore, I skip the press, as the front delts are engaged by a lot of other exercises, like dips and incline press, so they never seem to lag as much as rear delts.

workout_king

Awards
Depends for me for awhile I was doing power cleans now that i changed my program for heavy bench I just do laterial raise on the light days I do shoulder press and laterial raises.

pinoy

Awards
you guys should add 2-3 sets of cuban rotations, very good exercise for the rotator cuffs to keep your shoulders healthy

TarvMan

Awards
you guys should add 2-3 sets of cuban rotations, very good exercise for the rotator cuffs to keep your shoulders healthy
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this excercise? i've never heard of it.

destro19

destro19

Awards
Damn I hate strength hammer machines

Arnold , Military , Cleans and Dumbell Presses, compound all the way baby!
the only thing i hate about them is that people use them as a cruch instead of an aid. like the 160lb guy who loads up 4 plates and raises it 2 in then slams it down for 10 reps. then he has the nerve to get up an breathe hard and look aroung to see who was watching.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
John : military presses barbell or dumbell hit the rear area too

AlexParty

Try and keep away from machines that do shoulder exersices. In fact stay away from all machines unless thier involved in super sets or something. U want to try and train with free weights. Why? Cos their the best and put on mass muscles Yea! :)

AlexParty

Oh forgot, Dumbell press is one of the bests besides the bar press which is the same thing except with a bar.

motleybreu

Awards
hey john great info man..i usually work my rear delts harder for the same reasons..thanks for everyone's input...shoulers are my least favorite exercise...........

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by John Benz
I do:

lateral raises for middle delt
bent over laterals for rear delt (overlooked by many as msclbldrguy pointed out.)
military press for front delt
odd, that is exactly what I do. :)

Haven't done behind-the-neck in years either, unless I'm at a gym with Hammer strength (which isn't often).

workout_king

Awards
destro19 I just started using that machine and I really like it

ReDCuBiN

Awards
Behind the neck can cause definite rotator cuff damage if you go too far down, if not you should be fine.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
on rear delt day i do

standing lateral extensions
lying lateral exten
upright row
pullups
two variations of rows (elbows high, and wide grip, usually)

IronMike

Awards
Military Presses

If you're going to use cables for lateral raises try it with the cable behind your instead of in front.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
one set each of DB side/front/rear delt laterals with 20-30 second plate "wheelies" at end of each set.

hey sage, ive been contemplating on doing something like this and maybe splitting up my chest and shoulder day altogether.

ie, one set of each like the above said. and maybe thinkin of doin (2) sets of each?

how has this been goin for u? how long have u been doin it?

just curious.

thx a lot.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Love it man. been doing similar "finishes" to my shoulder days for a good 4 months now. Ive always had a dominate shoulders/traps compared to my chest and especially arms. But ever since adding the single high rep sets for the front/side/rear delts and the wheelies or holds right afterwords, ive gotten more definition in the delts, while keeping and gaining mass. Love it bra. Sage

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
sweetish, i think i might give it a whirl.

thx

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Anyone do the Roman Press?

Thats kinda like upright rowing, but with wider grip, and as you reach the end of that movement, reverse elbows to bring the bar to chin-level with elbows under the wrist, then finish the movement with a bar-press to full overhead arm extension. Reverse and slowly bring back down.

Sure gets my heart pumping, which is kinda fun for a SHOULDER movement!