Flat Bench vs. Incline Bench

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by H8dook View Post
    You honestly believe ANYONE is gonna take that ADVICE an quit INCLINING????
    Do you think tomorrow all gyms in the world will remove their incline benches due to your study???
    You are making a "big splash" trying to prove you are smart....NOT working too well though!!!

The obama reference is proof positive that ANYONE can do a study...Doesn't make it right...DUMBASS!!!

Here's a concept....SHUT THE FUK UP and read and learn before you jump in trying to prove your smarts,or better yet,lack thereof.

Let's have a poll here at AM.....How many members will QUIT doing inclines now because nurse dum-dum has presented a "study?"
    You have not had ONE productive thing to say in a single discussion. You are by far the most clueless poster I've seen on the internet. And trust me, I've seen some real "special" people.

The study conducted that incline presses exhaust the shoulders more so than the pecs. Each push needs an opposite pull in order to keep the joints balanced, what pull would balance an incline press? A Yates row that doesn't hit the posterior deltoids or lats as hard?

And like I said, I would LOVE to see you try to earn a degree in anything other than stupidity, you've earned a masters in that.

I've said this before, but everyone is entitled to stupidity, but you sir abusive the privilege. You have done nothing but post caveman pictures to mask your ignorant lack of intelligence in any area other than misspelled words and grammatical errors.

Let the big boys have some discussions. And once again, leave the President out of bodybuilding discussions. Obama has absolutely nothing to do with an incline bench press. You're trolling. Plain and simple.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

2. most peeps will max out stronger on flat then incline
    •   

3. For upper chest development it is best to use incline DB bench over incline BB bench regardless of hand spacing.

If the sternal head is more active during flat than decline, is the extra force going to the lats? funny there was no clear mention of it in the study.

4. LOL!! Oh man! Anywayyys yeah ive learned there there are ALOT of good videos on youtube of chest development exercises such as dips and such. they even say if you put your feet in front of you when you dip it concentrates more on the chest. Check it out... ww.youtube.com/watch?v=T9aWfBptNL0&feature=re lated add an extra w in front

5. Quote Originally Posted by cmc View Post
    Decline dumbell presses supersetted with dips work well for me.
    With your full chest structure I imagine just about any chest exercise would work well for you. lol
    •   

6. I remember reading something stating that reverse grip flat benching has shown to work the up part of your pecs better than incline benching. I have been trying it out and like the way it feels. Ive always seen the flat bench as king and it had been used for years and the main pec developement exercise has it not?. The only reason i would see trying to reinvent the wheel is due to personal injuries or if you just need to change it up for gains.

7. KingOng, for real man. incline is extremely important. flat may work both heads of the pec effectively but we have incline for a reason. in order to get a full and mature pec (i am talking large upper, lower, inner, and outer portion of pec) you need to do a variety of movements. incline bench, decline bench, flat bench, incline fly's, flat fly's, cable pulls. there are a variety of movements for your pecs that are all useful and needed in order to get a full pec. and personally i have noticed a MAJOR difference in the size of my upper chest sense i started doing incline, and so what if it brings in shoulders a little more, what do you want to have baby back bitch shoulders the rest of your life. i dont think so. i am not saying i know alot but i at least know this much............... you will get there someday ;-) try reading sometime, having knowledge to backup what you say is helpful. and anyone could write down some stupid ass study that isn't true so dont just trust one 'study' read multiple sources. dont just listen to what i say either go out and research it for yourself just to make sure it is true.
  8. not me.

Quote Originally Posted by H8dook View Post
    Do you think tomorrow all gyms in the world will remove their incline benches due to your study???
    You are making a "big splash" trying to prove you are smart....NOT working too well though!!!

The obama reference is proof positive that ANYONE can do a study...Doesn't make it right...DUMBASS!!!

Here's a concept....SHUT THE FUK UP and read and learn before you jump in trying to prove your smarts,or better yet,lack thereof.

Let's have a poll here at AM.....How many members will QUIT doing inclines now because nurse dum-dum has presented a "study?"
    not me. I do incline and decline bench along w inc/dec/flat cable fly. seems to be working for me. chest looks great and alot stronger!

9. Quote Originally Posted by bigredmach View Post
    not me. I do incline and decline bench along w inc/dec/flat cable fly. seems to be working for me. chest looks great and alot stronger!
    yep pretty much

10. KingKong, no disrespect to you or your study, but the study is faulty.

Ive been training over 20 years, and I can tell when Ive been working inclines more than flat bench. The muscle on the upper chest is fuller and stronger, its obvious.

If I had a choice of only doing one or the other I would have to pick inclines, because it isolates the muscle better. If my delts and tris get hit harder in the process, so be it. Thats better than hitting my back hard on chest day...I want to save back for back day.

11. Quote Originally Posted by H8dook View Post

i believe all gyms in the world will remove their incline benches..and Obama will free the slaves,cure AIDS,end poverty,and have a sex scandel with Tiger Woods.

12. Here is a good video about the subject, Dorian Yates giving a seminar on chest development.

http://clips.team-andro.com/watch/3d...Chest-Training

13. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Here is a good video about the subject, Dorian Yates giving a seminar on chest development.

http://clips.team-andro.com/watch/3d...Chest-Training
    interesting vid... thanks for posting

according to dorian, decline bench "was his mass building exercise".. i never realized the efficacy of it but i think im gona incorporate decline into my routine for a couple months and see what happens
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

14. Quote Originally Posted by dirtysouthmuscl View Post
    I go to the adams apple . It takes alot of focus and form. but I tell you once you get your form and grip figured out It feels great. I use a grip a little closer than my flat bench grip. If you look at a muscle chart and look at the direction the pecmuscles over lap it made more sense to me.
    Guillotine Press is awesome for pec development. It's akward at first, but it becomes more natural as you hammer out your form. However it doesn't let you push as much weight due to the increased ROM

15. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    The study conducted that incline presses exhaust the shoulders more so than the pecs.
    Props for taking a researched based approach to lifting. I feel that at times a little too much faith is placed on what people 'feel' rather than results from controlled experiments.

I think what our friend kingk0ng is trying to say is that if your are going to target the pecs, then use an exercise that shows to fire more motor units of the pectoral. This type of thinking is not new; Dorian Yates was famous for his 'emphasis' training, where he trained to target certian muscles/muscle movements in their most effective position. It so happens (and is not hard to believe) that incline press tends to take some of the load off of the chest and distribute it to the frontal portion of the deltoid, thereby putting them in a weaker position to fire.

I do NOT believe that anyone is advocating the removal of the incline press from ANYBODIES routine. We can all agree this would not be optimal for overall chest development.

16. Interesting article: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ceps_exercises

Excerpt:
    " The Winners

Based on this experiment, here are the top three exercises in terms of mean and peak activity for each muscle part:

Upper Pec
    Mean Mid Pulley Crossover, Band Push Up, JC Band Press
    Peak DB Incline Press, Guillotine Press, JC Band Press

Mid Pec
    Mean DB Bench Press, Floor Press, Fly
    Peak Guillotine Press, DB Bench Press, Fly

Lower Pec
    Mean Weighted Dip, Blast Strap Push Up, Guillotine Press
    Peak Guillotine Press, Fly, Weighted Dip "

17. Just going to throw this out there.......I have been struggling with a shoulder injury for months so I have not been able to bench press in any way....machine, db or bb......I was afraid that my chest was going to really suffer because the ONLY thing I can do is flies on the machine at my gym........I have been really surprised that chest has actually GROWN over the past few months.....LOL, I am serious.

18. only chest prob i have is my right side is better developed than my left..tried doin just db for a few months..tried just training my left pec only..nothing seems to even them up

19. Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Interesting article: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ceps_exercises

Excerpt:
    " The Winners

Based on this experiment, here are the top three exercises in terms of mean and peak activity for each muscle part:

Upper Pec
    Mean Mid Pulley Crossover, Band Push Up, JC Band Press
    Peak DB Incline Press, Guillotine Press, JC Band Press

Mid Pec
    Mean DB Bench Press, Floor Press, Fly
    Peak Guillotine Press, DB Bench Press, Fly

Lower Pec
    Mean Weighted Dip, Blast Strap Push Up, Guillotine Press
    Peak Guillotine Press, Fly, Weighted Dip "

Good post, i was reading through this an was going to post the same thing. They also did the same thing for other muscle. i thought it was pretty good.

20. Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Very interesting, especially about the mid pec thing.
    Something of note:
    It's important to know that I used a powerlifting-style bench press: arched low back, good leg drive, arms at a 45-degree angle, slightly narrower grip, bar lowered to the lower chest. The form used for the guillotine press was straight from late Iron Guru Vince Gironda: feet on the bench, no arch, elbows flared out, wider grip, bar lowered to the neck. It's no surprise the guillotine press works much more pec than the bench press.

I still believe DB Bench with elbows flaired out(correct form) is superior to Guillotine press.

I think the most interesting thing of the studies, if you go to the previous one and read it aswell, is that using resistance bands seem to be superior.

21. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post

I think the most interesting thing of the studies, if you go to the previous one and read it aswell, is that using resistance bands seem to be superior.
    am i missing something? bands? man i find that hard to believe since free weights recruit more muscle fibers and motor neurons... then again i havent read the study yet

22. Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate2827 View Post
    only chest prob i have is my right side is better developed than my left..tried doin just db for a few months..tried just training my left pec only..nothing seems to even them up
    Welcome to the club! There will always be minute differences in symmetry, our job is to hide them and fix them the best we can. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it if I where you

23. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    am i missing something? bands? man i find that hard to believe since free weights recruit more muscle fibers and motor neurons... then again i havent read the study yet
    The exercises with bands despite their mediocre movement faired better than their non band versions, for example band pushups.
    Band facepulls were the best exercise for both lateral and rear delts.
    I think this has to do with muscle mechanics, for instance I know that lateral delts are most isolated(from the supraspinatus and the anterior delt) towards the end of the movement on lateral raises. And as for the pushups the chest seems to be weak in the stretched position possibly thanks to the stress on the shoulders, so the bands kind of even out the intensity over the whole ROM, making it harder when it would otherwise be easier( a lot of the time this is in the fully contracted position) which allows for more muscle fiber recruitment.
    This is one reason why I dont like using cables as its basically the same resistance throughout the ROM despite the muscles being stronger or weaker in different portions of the movement.

24. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    The exercises with bands despite their mediocre movement faired better than their non band versions, for example band pushups.
    Band facepulls were the best exercise for both lateral and rear delts.
    I think this has to do with muscle mechanics, for instance I know that lateral delts are most isolated(from the supraspinatus and the anterior delt) towards the end of the movement on lateral raises. And as for the pushups the chest seems to be weak in the stretched position possibly thanks to the stress on the shoulders, so the bands kind of even out the intensity over the whole ROM, making it harder when it would otherwise be easier( a lot of the time this is in the fully contracted position) which allows for more muscle fiber recruitment.
    This is one reason why I dont like using cables as its basically the same resistance throughout the ROM despite the muscles being stronger or weaker in different portions of the movement.
    ok, yea for those movements that is plausible... it seems that using chains follows the same concept, i.e., more resistance as the concentric movement advances

it funny though, that none of the bodybuilders i know of use bands

25. You have to understand, they don't hold incline powerlifting meets. Now if it was the other way around the incline would be the strongest lift.

26. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    ok, yea for those movements that is plausible... it seems that using chains follows the same concept, i.e., more resistance as the concentric movement advances

it funny though, that none of the bodybuilders i know of use bands
    it is to my understanding that they are using bands with the free weights IE: putting both plates on the bar and running a band from the bench to the bar on both sides for the bench press

27. Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    I don't think there is really a "should" in the equation.
    I agree with this. It all depends on your genetic make up and where you are naturally stronger and what exercises work better FOR YOU. I gain and work the best at Flat. Whether it's flys, benching, push-ups, dumbells. You name it. I see little to no gains otherwise. Typically otherwise all I do is burnout my shoulders. Incline is all shoulders for me. I feel no chest really. Decline is ok but typically easier cause the ROM is shorter. Find what works for you and keep doing it. There's no set exercises that work for everyone. There's guys have have been gifted with chest symmetry who all they really have to do is push-ups and have low body fat and they will have amazing looking pecs.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?

28. I think people are almost missing the point here by looking for the 'best exercises'.

For example, the incline press will recruit less pec than the flat press all things being equal but if you went on EMG studies alone you would limit your exercise routine right down. Bodybuilders would naturally want to tap into different motor pools so exercise variation is key, I don't see this as a problem if you have to use the incline press as an alternative. I disagree with Flaw's comments on finding what you are good at and stick with it. If you stick with the flat bench only you will inevitably plateau and need to change it.

Although incline technically should be the weakest and decline strongest there are other factors including grip distance on the bar.

I prefer neutral grip pressing for further ROM on chest exercises.

In the spirit of discussion the weights used in the study would influence results i.e., % used of 1RM.

29. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    . I disagree with Flaw's comments on finding what you are good at and stick with it. If you stick with the flat bench only you will inevitably plateau and need to change it.
    You missed my point. I wasn't saying stick to one exercise all the time, I was saying stick to what works for you. This could be a variation of flats, or a variation of inclines. Wherever you personally see the best results don't force yourself at angles in which it hinders your gains.

Just as a side note though, you can maintain flat bench as a core exercise and see gains constantly if you do it right by changing tempo,rest periods, reps, sets and intensity. You can even change your other exercises constantly around your flat bench. There is no set rule. I've gone 8 months on dumbell presses without a plateu. The only reason I had to quit was because the weight became too much for my shoulders and my joints gave out.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?

30. Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    it is to my understanding that they are using bands with the free weights IE: putting both plates on the bar and running a band from the bench to the bar on both sides for the bench press
    Ah. I knew i was misinterpreting.. thanks for clearing that up. you saved my lazy a** from having to actually read the study lol
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Incline vs Decline bench
    By barry2313 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 12:17 AM
  2. manual benching vs machine benching
    By darkvard in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
  3. Flat Bench VS Dumbell Bench
    By The Flash in forum Training Forum